Toast Graham Wright

Remove this Banner Ad

Sorry mate I threw that out to see if you’d bite hah. In all seriousness though we could definitely do worse. Only a gut feel, but my guess is it’s Maxwell’s if he wants it. My gut is pretty rough though so my take doesn’t count for shit on that front.
Need to be careful getting old boys back - bit like Melbourne Grammar appointing former school captain the head rowing coach/ senior physics teacher because they know all about everyone's foibles - external recruitment process please - if that recommends Maxwell then ok.

Sorry mate I threw that out to see if you’d bite hah. In all seriousness though we could definitely do worse. Only a gut feel, but my guess is it’s Maxwell’s if he wants it. My gut is pretty rough though so my take doesn’t count for shit on that front.
Hadn't thought about it - but it could work. A bit of a step down from Club CEO, but Kelly is good mates with him, they'd work well together and he'd be a decent succession plan down the track.

Bro luv breaking out

exactly, Leppa is a good line coach but we have no idea how he would go at list management, could drag anyone off the street with same level of no experience.
He has been a senior AFL coach and long time senior assistant. He would have been in hundreds of list management meetings and discussions. No man off the street

Yeah that definitely had to do with us struggling on the field and having multiple injuries for a large stretch of the season. Hubris my arse. 2011 was hubris this year wasn’t.

Our defense was a shambles most of the year, while our defense coach for 2023 had a massively increased workload and new role due to no Wright.

Coincidence?

I bet Caro will be all over this on Footy classified tonight.She just loves to gossip about Collingwood,espically when there’s a bit of upheaval at the club.

I bet Caro will be all over this on Footy classified tonight.She just loves to gossip about Collingwood,espically when there’s a bit of upheaval at the club.
"I think at best it's a poor look and at worst it indicates a club in crisis. They knew Wright was never coming back. Hope is not a strategy Craig."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our defense was a shambles most of the year, while our defense coach for 2023 had a massively increased workload and new role due to no Wright.

Coincidence?
But you're leaving out the fact that Leppa didn't want to be an assistant coach anymore. He expressed his interest in wanting to go into a more administrative role & was being chased by other clubs.

With Wright going on leave, it allowed the club to give that opportunity to Leppa, thus keeping him at the club.

There’s latitude and then there’s latitude.

At an AFL club which should have/could have been contending for its 17th flag, that’s a helluva lot of latitude.

But I’ve said enough, what’s done is done, I’m very grateful for Wright’s time with us, and I look forward to the next stage of Fly’s tenure, which could look a little (a lot?) different in terms of the structure which supports him.
GW is a considered the most astute and successful operator in the AFL.
If he doesn’t deserve latitude then no one does.

Last edited:
I still can’t understand why he wanted out after only 3 seasons that included a Premiership

I can only assume or guess Craig Kelly’s presence was the major contributing factor.

I still can’t understand why he wanted out after only 3 seasons that included a Premiership

I can only assume or guess Craig Kelly’s presence was the major contributing factor.
Hopefully its just burn out after a long career of list management type roles and nothing specifically against Collingwood

I really hope its not as a result of the AFL making him an offer too good to refuse - I dont like the idea of head office poaching talent from clubland...

Or maybe he sees a big job with the AFL as a promotion, furthering his career with lots more money which he is ready to take on now that he's refreshed & feels satisfied in fixing the Pies salary cap issues topped off with a flag...?

GW is a considered is the most astute and successful operators in the AFL.
If he doesn’t deserve latitude then no one does.

I agree with your first sentence

But re your second - we don’t know, and never will know, the impact on our club in a contending year of the ‘latitude’ given to Wright.

But I said no more from me. I’m like a broken record.

Or he and his wife wanted to travel to Europe when the weather is nice

Once you hit mid fifties you know life is getting very short

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Graham Wright

Remove this Banner Ad

Back