Toast Graham Wright

Remove this Banner Ad

Hopefully its just burn out after a long career of list management type roles and nothing specifically against Collingwood

I really hope its not as a result of the AFL making him an offer too good to refuse - I dont like the idea of head office poaching talent from clubland...

Maybe. It’s just bitterly disappointing is all.

Was super excited about his appointment after crying out for years for us to try and poach him from Hawthorn.

Just me being an entitled Collingwood supporter I guess.

You would hope the club assumed he wasn’t coming back. Surely they weren’t naive enough to think he was?

Honestly I’m not sure given all we’ve seen and things I’ve heard since we won the flag.

I reckon we’ll know for certain if they haven’t appointed someone new (that isn’t Leppa) within the next month.

Because if they were preparing for life without Wright, you’d think they’d have spent the last 6 months tabling other options and having meetings no?

Should I gloat by saying I told you so from the moment this was announced?

I'm far too humble to do that. :p

It was BS from the start and he was never coming back.

I don't get it. What would be the advantage to the club of pretending he was going to come back?

Heads of organisations do not,

Wright is not the head of Collingwood? He’s just one member of the executive team.

The club assured us that his role was covered. I don’t see an issue.

especially 9 months

6 months.

Which is a standard sabbatical period.

A big thanks to Graham for his service and work with the club. Still remember the train wreck interview from Ned Guy after we gave away players for bugger all as our cap was screwed.

We have come a long way since those days.

I like latitude too. Might apply for a job at the Pies
Alarm bells for mine

Browne’s only senior appointment has been Kelly. And I said at the time, reeked of JFTB operandi

Wrighty consulting to us from the Med. reeks of inability to cut the umbilical cord and/or acknowledgment of single person /key man dependency

Apparent in-fighting btw Bolts & Leppa reeks of inability for CEO & Board to provide clarity and more ‘me than we’

If court case against Kelly /club has any skerrick of substance and Kelly is forced to stand down, wouldn’t Wright be almost the ideal candidate ..but by that stage he’ll be working for the afl.

At a time we have some big strategic calls to make re our list, it seems unfathomable that we are this dis-organised off-field and looking to 'start' a recruitment (or another JFTB) process to appoint a HO Footy dept

Browne’s comments earlier this year about ‘not bottoming out and loading up again’ (paraphrasing) also hugely concerning. Almost sounds like doubling down on the ‘confetti’ strategy.

Can’t say I’m super confident about any of this ..but hopefully I’m wildly off the reservation about all of it!

A big thanks to Graham for his service and work with the club. Still remember the train wreck interview from Ned Guy after we gave away players for bugger all as our cap was screwed.

We have come a long way since those days.
And hopefully we stay a long way from those days. Aka not revisit them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Alarm bells for mine

Browne’s only senior appointment has been Kelly. And I said at the time, reeked of JFTB operandi

Wrighty consulting to us from the Med. reeks of inability to cut the umbilical cord and/or acknowledgment of single person /key man dependency

Apparent in-fighting btw Bolts & Leppa reeks of inability for CEO & Board to provide clarity and more ‘me than we’

If court case against Kelly /club has any skerrick of substance and Kelly is forced to stand down, wouldn’t Wright be almost the ideal candidate ..but by that stage he’ll be working for the afl.

At a time we have some big strategic calls to make re our list, it seems unfathomable that we are this dis-organised off-field and looking to 'start' a recruitment (or another JFTB) process to appoint a HO Footy dept

Browne’s comments earlier this year about ‘not bottoming out and loading up again’ (paraphrasing) also hugely concerning. Almost sounds like doubling down on the ‘confetti’ strategy.

Can’t say I’m super confident about any of this ..but hopefully I’m wildly off the reservation about all of it!
Kelly was inarguably a great hire. Hugely over-qualified for a club ceo job. It was a no brainer to take him.

Alarm bells for mine

I must say Id like the interim board back.

Felt like we had moved forward to modern processes, but feels like we have gone back to captain's calls and personality. Getting back to an old boys network feel.

Last edited:
Wright is not the head of Collingwood? He’s just one member of the executive team.

The club assured us that his role was covered. I don’t see an issue.

6 months.

Which is a standard sabbatical period.
It’s more how we needed to disrupt the other coaching roles, not the fact Wright’s position was covered.
Quite a few footy media have questioned this as well.

Thanks Wrighty for helping turn our club around from an irrelevence, back to a powerhouse.

I certainly dont begrudge him his 6 months in the US & Europe, at the best time to visit both, after 36 consecutive years in the industry.

When you have the best in the business, you give them every opportunity to stay. It didn't work out, but it was worth the punt.

We dont win the 2023 flag without his input. I fact, coming second in the 1990 Brownlow, he's had a major role in 2 of our last 3 flags.

I wish him all the best.

My understanding is they didn’t have a choice, and that wouldn’t have happened if Wright didn’t leave.
We shouldn’t underestimate the effect on not having those two in the box.
But didn't Dogs offer Leppitsch an administrative role, which he declined when Pies offered him the same role? At the time it was reported that was the area in the football department he wanted to go in.

And iirc, this was before Wright's sabbatical was announced, he did however take on 'extra' responsibilities when Wright was overseas.

That would suggest to me that he no longer wanted to remain as an assistant coach.

I always thought the fact we changed up our assistant coaches this year had an effect on our season, it was always going to take time to adjust & combined with so many injuries certainly didn't help.

Perhaps it was all unavoidable but the stark reality is that we entered this season without the bloke we headhunted to be our GM of Football and the one who ultimately put us on the path towards our 16th Premiership.

To make matters worse the two assistants who arguably gave us the most credentialed coaching panel in the league were missing from the areas they were specifically targeted for.

Again this might have been unavoidable if we wanted to keep one or both at the club but it still doesn't change the end result which is Wright has been lost from the club and our two most experienced assistant coaches weren't filling the positions they were originally hired for.

Is it really any wonder our season went the way it did? That's a lot of experience and talent removed from the roles they filled in our Premiership year.

The most annoying part is we got 3 years out of Wright. How many seasons spent and Premierships won at Hawthorn?

How many flags for Leppitsch and Bolton in their roles as assistants at Richmond and the Hawks?

We thank them for their contribution but the selfish Collingwod supporter in me says we didn't get the best of them for long enough.

As it stands now we're one soldier down with the absence of Wright (and movement of Leppitsch/Bolton) filled by internal candidates this season. We didn't hire anybody new of note.

We should now but it's assumed if Bolton doesn't get the GM of Football position he will leave.

If that occurs it means we're still -1 from the collective group that guided us to last years flag while Leppitsch would have moved to a list management position.

We need to go out and poach another quality assistant coach and make sure we don't fall back into the mindset that what we have will be good enough.

We saw that creep in under Buckley/McGuire IMO before a hard reset at the of 2017 and if it means having to pay a football department tax so be it.

What's the point of 110,000 members anyway if it's not to be in a position to pay it.

It’s more how we needed to disrupt the other coaching roles, not the fact Wright’s position was covered.
Quite a few footy media have questioned this as well.

The footy media trade in drama and scandal.

Whilst they do have a role to play, it’s not as if they’re an authority on corporate function.

You have the same people who speculate on the grade of an MRO incident guess about the back-of-house impact of the Premiership footy boss taking a six month sabbatical?

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Graham Wright

Remove this Banner Ad

Back