Review Grand Final, 2024 - Sydney vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Sydney?

• [1] Kai Lohmann

• [3] Joe Daniher

• [4] Callum Ah Chee

• [5] Josh Dunkley

• [6] Hugh McCluggage

• [7] Jarrod Berry

• [8] Will Ashcroft

• [9] Lachie Neale

• [13] Logan Morris

• [15] Dayne Zorko

• [16] Cam Rayner

• [23] Charlie Cameron

• [26] Conor McKenna

• [28] Jaspa Fletcher

• [30] Eric Hipwood

• [31] Harris Andrews

• [32] Darcy Fort

• [33] Zac Bailey

• [35] Ryan Lester

• [37] Brandon Starcevich

• [40] Jack Payne

• [43] Noah Answerth

• [44] Darcy Wilmot

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Love listening to Leigh talk
Thanks on behalf of everyone on here to McIvor for being our running Media Man throughout this finals series.
saved me atleast, the time to look everywhere to find this stuff.
Just awesome 🤩
Can’t get enough of this sort of stuff at the moment.

Thanks on behalf of everyone on here to McIvor for being our running Media Man throughout this finals series.
saved me atleast, the time to look everywhere to find this stuff.
Just awesome 🤩
Can’t get enough of this sort of stuff at the moment.
Its my pleasure; I sit reading and watching all of this stuff and its not that hard to take the time and share with our Lions family.

We all contribute to this amazing Lions board in many ways, and theres many things that others do that I can't but copying links and pasting in relevnat threads only takes a sec is something Im happy doing. :thumbsu:

“BLAKEY WENT! HE’S HIT HIMSELF IN THE HEAD! IT SPILLS TO MCCLUGGAGE! MCCLUGGAGE KICKS THE GOAL! BLAKEY’S CONFUSED! THOUGHT THE WHISTLE WAS GOING TO GO!”
- Brian Taylor

1727934187707.jpeg

Last edited:
One of my best memories associated with the 2002 flag is watching Ch 10's crime night (or whatever they called it) which followed. Some great shows and some not so. The debut of Monk, Hack and new episodes of NYPD Blue in the former. There were one or two more but can't remember them right now. I think 10 had the same line-up plus Dragnet (bit of a dud this one) GF night 2003.

One of my best memories associated with the 2002 flag is watching Ch 10's crime night (or whatever they called it) which followed. Some great shows and some not so. The debut of Monk, Hack and new episodes of NYPD Blue in the former. There were one or two more but can't remember them right now. I think 10 had the same line-up plus Dragnet (bit of a dud this one) GF night 2003.
What I will say about the 01-04 period is that they actually showed you a lot more in the lead up to the game such as televising the captains run and a few other things which is surprising given the amount of platforms out there today compared to twenty years ago.

What I will say about the 01-04 period is that they actually showed you a lot more in the lead up to the game such as televising the captains run and a few other things which is surprising given the amount of platforms out there today compared to twenty years ago.

Ch 10 were great when it came to covering the AFL / GF day. Was a sad day when 9/10 lost the rights to Ch 7.

I’m biased as hell, but no supporter group looks aesthetically better going off in the stands than Lions fans.

There’s something about that sudden visual explosion of maroon, blue and gold that looks spectacular and iconic.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m biased as hell, but no supporter group looks aesthetically better going off in the stands than Lions fans.

There’s something about that sudden visual explosion of maroon, blue and gold that looks spectacular and iconic.
When the boys were doing their lap of honour after the night had started to set in, the colours just looked amazing on the TV.

Just wanted to say, it was at this point in the prelim final that I knew you guys would win the flag

That level of understanding and trust between teammates, in the context of the game at that time, difficult to achieve.

Well done on a brilliant season.

The game of the season as far as skill level and swings in momentum is concerned.

A classic.

Just wanted to say, it was at this point in the prelim final that I knew you guys would win the flag

That level of understanding and trust between teammates, in the context of the game at that time, difficult to achieve.

Well done on a brilliant season.

This has become the new "if i see it shared, I have to watch it in full immediately" video. The roar on the siren, spine tingling stuff.

I’m doing rapid fire takes this week so haven’t checked to see if this is a good or bad take, but did the Swans form start to tank when Heeney was suspended and there was all that Brownlow furore? Feels like they started to come off the boil around then and really came back to the pack and never recovered.

I read some stats last week which said Sydney hadn’t been the best team in the comp for a while.

Boy oh boy. I have seen all 4 flags in the flesh. This was the best one. It felt like such a journey - over the season. Over the decade. So many sliding doors moments this season could have collapsed in...

On to the final edition of the report only i care about

THE GOOD

NOT DROPPING OUR HEADS - missed some set shots. didn't panic. kept cracking in. Joe settled us and away we went

THE MATCH-UPS - coaching panel excelled. Including the way they treated McLean as a small as he doesn't really mark anything.

THE DARE - That clugga kick set up everything didn't it? We just took that as a sign we were going to take the game on. Yes we did a lot of kick mark but when it was on we went for attacking options. Loved clugga's explanation - he knows he is backed in and doesn't worry about mistakes. Kudos to the coaching group and fages for this.

THE PREPARATION - we got so much right. Flying down on Wednesday. Being relaxed. Just saying yes to media and not hiding from it. We learnt so much from 2023. Neale smiling holding the cup vs Rampe looking like he was at is own funeral - i honestly thought the swans are us last year, nervous. We obviously only lost by 4 points but we didn't play very well - fits and spurts and a lot of players down.

THE WHOLE TEAM - yes i am an under 10s coach now. But never seen anything like such a team performance

AH CHEE - okay to single out a few. what a gun. absolute maximum impact player.

NEALE - looked 18yo bouncing along the wing. wtf. on one foot. incredible

LOHMAN - could have one norm just for getting us going when he did. who knows what happens if he misses that set shot. Could be anything, needs to keep grounded!

FLETCHER - i thought he was on the cusp of being dropped at the start of the finals. got better each game especially after that ripping semi final goal. A huge watch next year, he could improve rapidly as has been a slower burn than will.

THE OLD FELLAS just so incredibly satisfying to see Zorks and Lester win a flag.

OSCAR enough said

I COULD GO ON but others have

JUST THAT BLOODY WINNING FEELING we had a whole family troupe last year, all of us made it back. Ended in years last time. As that second quarter unfolded we started to say this is happening. It's actually happening! I kept saying to my old man, they are so good, how are they so good? sublime

AND THEN THE FITZROY PUBS it feels like a real merger compared to 2001-03. queues outside fitzroy pubs really topped it off, so did the beers inside :)

THE BAD

JOE RETIRING wish him no ill will. to think he could have retired last year, or this year after we should have limped of the finals. Impossible to replace but doesn't mean we can't compete.

THE PLAYERS WHO MISSED OUT Lyons and Rich stand out from the last couple of years. Oscar obviously. Also feel for Bruce - such a great story of perseverance, arguably could have been there but for that injury. Obviously Darragh Joyce was never best 23 but busted his gut and played through a broken jaw. Linc has been through a lot in his career. Gardiner an absolute warrior. And Kiddy who did so much last year to nearly make it happen.

THE UGLY

THOSE DELICIOUS CLIPS OF THOSE WRITING US OFF SO EMPHATICALLY okay okay i won't go through my own posts. most of us had some doubt. what i look back on is the emphatic nature of the people paid to analyse footy, not passionate supporters speaking through emotion. it wasn't 'well the lions are struggling very unlikely they win' etc but 'Fagan will never coach a win, this team won't win a flag, they aren't up to it' only a few months after we lost a granny by four points, and with a stacked list, and a host of very good players to come back, plus Levi, they were saying stick a fork in it.

Anyway enjoy it all. i will venture over to the 2025 list and Joe replacement section at some stage but i'm just lapping up the grand final for now. Dropped a bit of coin on merch too!

I’m doing rapid fire takes this week so haven’t checked to see if this is a good or bad take, but did the Swans form start to tank when Heeney was suspended and there was all that Brownlow furore? Feels like they started to come off the boil around then and really came back to the pack and never recovered.

I read some stats last week which said Sydney hadn’t been the best team in the comp for a while.
I think there was some difficulty with being so far in front it was hard for them to stay up

I do think they managed this badly though, the bottom really fell out of them

Then there was them being figured out a bit - they were full on with corridor kicks and you stopped them doing this they struggled. They had a risky approach to ball movement and it had to be on to work

They never had the firepower to win just with their forward line - it's great to have goal kicking mids but relying on them to kick goals not so much

And the one line i always found odd - a lot of people kept tipping the swans saying they had been the best team in it all year. So patently false with their back half record. even round 23 v essendon they got smashed in general play in the first half.

He was suspended against the Saints which was their second loss in a row after losing to Freo. They then beat North but then lost three in a row to us, the dogs and Port.

They were starting to show weaknesses if I remember Swans fans correctly. Mainly going five goals down to Carlton and Geelong and clawing back the rest of the game to win in the few weeks prior. They peaked way too early in the season essentially. Unless you’re an all time great side you usually need to play your best football in the second half of the season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Grand Final, 2024 - Sydney vs. Brisbane Lions

Back