mattis117

Premium Platinum
Aug 20, 2010
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Manchester City
So lets fire up our joint preview for a third and final time - it has been absolutely fantastic for the first two finals. Again, looking to Seppo to maintain this thread. Let's spice it up with some new sections as well.

Same as previous threads - we want all our posters to join in with previewing this match, so nominate a section (obviously one poster per section), spice it up with some pics / videos and post it in this thread by Wednesday.

1) Introduction

2) Head to Head and Recent Form

3) Their backs vs our forwards

4) Midfields

5) Our backs and their forwards

7) Where to watch the game in Perth

8) A history of Fremantle and the long road to the grand final

9) Statistics

10) Who should present the cup should we win

11) Conclusion, Prediction and Norm Smith Medal winner

I will nominate for number 5.

Going to be a really amazing match - interesting for Hawthorn though; two years in a row they are playing an interstate side with incredible defence and pressure whereas they are featuring a star-studded side with obscenely talented midfield and attacking power.

Their Top 15 players admittedly match up a great deal better than our Top 15. Pav's a hero, but against Buddy at his best? Mundy, Barlow and Fyfe and gallant but come up slightly short against Mitchell, Hodge and Rioli. However; I think it's our 15-22 players that truly make the difference.

EVERY starting 22 Hawks player is majorly talented, but our fringe 7 has just that extra X-factor over theirs. Neale, Sutcliffe, Mzungu and Suban add that spark when our big bodies go missing, and De Boer, D. Pearce, and Spurr can be game-changers.

I personally think Mzungu has become our most important silent achiever, his work rate rivals Mayne and his ability to shut down players and rebound is a cross-breed between Crowley and Duffield.

not capable but best of luck boys! If unsure between 2 options hit me off a pm and ill happily give my opinion.

It was interesting the talk about suspensions and fines for this Saturdays GF.

I think you take a risk everything approach on GF day, if a bump is there then its game on. You go in hard and you niggle and you do anything and everything to win on that day.

Im not saying you punch a player out or anything dirty or like a street thug, but surely you put all your eggs in the basket, if ever there was a game in which you do it, then this is it.

The Victorian media have been talking about Crowley and Ballantyne alot about their tactics, to me this is them running scared. I will be very disappointed if Crowley and B, dont perform in the exact same way they have done for the past 24 or so weeks.

I agree Grotto - you'd think they'd be talking about the skills and excitement of Buddy, Cyril, Hodge, Mitchell et al instead of focusing on Crowley.

My fear is it gets into the umpires' heads that everything Crowley does must be illegal because everyone's been talking about him all week.

SummaryMin 10Max 16Showers. Possible morning storm.
Melbourne area
Cloudy. Scattered showers. Isolated thunderstorms and hail clearing by early afternoon. Winds northerly 25 to 35 km/h shifting west to southwesterly 30 to 45 km/h during the morning then becoming westerly 15 to 25 km/h during the evening.

Haha I thought the interest had waned a bit in doing this so was just going to leave it since no one was nominating this time around.

Probably find most of your normal contributors are in Melbourne and hitting the restaurants/shops hard :)Reckon it might get quiet around here in the next couple of days!

I agree Grotto - you'd think they'd be talking about the skills and excitement of Buddy, Cyril, Hodge, Mitchell et al instead of focusing on Crowley.

My fear is it gets into the umpires' heads that everything Crowley does must be illegal because everyone's been talking about him all week.

Don't mean to intrude and feel free to move the post Mods, if it is in the wrong section.
I think the media in Melbourne are caught up in the sentiment of it being your first GF and the performance against the Swans and Cats. In all honesty most things Hawthorn have flown under the radar this week. Whilst it is a bit annoying, it is not too bad when you look at it.

Im hoping Freo get up for their first premiership

Was disappointed to read they wont be wearing the purple guernsey on the weekend. Its a great strip and for the club's first GF what better way to show-case it. The white clash-strips enforced by the AFL are horrible and generic.

There is some interesting stories going into this one - McPharlin and Dawson ex-Hawks, the Hill brothers playing against eachother which hasnt happened for a century - Pearce and Burgoyne - ex-Port boys facing off. Lyon's 4th Grand Final coached in 5 years.

Add to that a real contrast in styles - lots of unknowns going into this game.

Good luck boys enjoy the day

Bombers Fan in Peace!!
Firstly: Freeeeooo, way to go something something something something down below!!!
Go Freo!!!!!
Secondly, can someone please tell Ross Lyon to put some work into David Hale!!! He is their most underrated player and kills every team each time coz everyone forgets about him!!
Thirdly, is anyone worried that you guys are getting all the media attention here and its going to work in hawthorn's favor?!!
Good luck!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't mean to intrude and feel free to move the post Mods, if it is in the wrong section.
I think the media in Melbourne are caught up in the sentiment of it being your first GF and the performance against the Swans and Cats. In all honesty most things Hawthorn have flown under the radar this week. Whilst it is a bit annoying, it is not too bad when you look at it.

It makes for a good story - people eat that shit up. The team won't get caught up in it, some of our supporters might - but most of us know this will be a hard slog and a true 50/50. Good luck and may the best Port team win!

I feel tingly, Clive attending the Grand Final!!

http://www.news.com.au/national-new...fremantle-to-win/story-fnii5thn-1226727401758

Waterhouse, considered a cult figure among fans, said he had kept a close eye on the Dockers since he left the team in 2004.

"I have been to a couple of their games this year in Melbourne and Adelaide," he said.

"I'll be at the Grand Final for sure. I'm feeling confident for the boys.

"I think they have been playing some fantastic footy in the finals so far.

"I'm feeling very confident."

http://www.perthnow.com.au/national-news/western-australia/ex-dockers-clive-waterhouse-tony-modra-back-fremantle-to-win/story-fnii5thn-1226727401758#ixzz2fxY9O4VW

Bombers Fan in Peace!!
Firstly: Freeeeooo, way to go something something something something down below!!!
Go Freo!!!!!
Secondly, can someone please tell Ross Lyon to put some work into David Hale!!! He is their most underrated player and kills every team each time coz everyone forgets about him!!
Thirdly, is anyone worried that you guys are getting all the media attention here and its going to work in hawthorn's favor?!!
Good luck!!!
I'm with you on all the media attention, it's gonna bring down the price on a Freo win at the TAB come sat. morning

I'm with you on all the media attention, it's gonna bring down the price on a Freo win at the TAB come sat. morning

Price has already come down from $2.60 to $2.25. It will probably be evens bf Saturday, which in my book is about right.

Interestingly, Fyfe is now favourite to win the Normie. Personally, I reckon it's worth punting on Pav at $14. His first GF after 291 games, I suspect he will go ballistic and I'm not sure Lake will be able to hold him back.

Price has already come down from $2.60 to $2.25. It will probably be evens bf Saturday, which in my book is about right.

Interestingly, Fyfe is now favourite to win the Normie. Personally, I reckon it's worth punting on Pav at $14. His first GF after 291 games, I suspect he will go ballistic and I'm not sure Lake will be able to hold him back.
Reckon your right, Pav's gonna play outa his skin, and I'm sure it'll rub off
Which ever way this game goes, mighty proud of this group

Bombers Fan in Peace!!
Go Freo!!!!!
Good luck!!!

No need to tell RTB anything he knows all

That's the media, take what you will. Freo fans and players have been preparing the same for the last three weeks so don't think they are fazed by the hype or listen to victoria.

You highlighted a point- it is our first Grand Final. It is a rare and pretty amazing thing so hence why we are getting the attention. Besides you have made it for the 2nd time in a row, really what can the media report that is new?

Head to Head
Played 27
Fremantle 7
Hawthorn 20

Hawthorn has the best win-loss record against Fremantle out of all 18 AFL clubs.

Head to Head in Finals
Played 1
Fremantle 1
Hawthorn 0

Last Finals Meeting
Elimination Final @ Subiaco Oval
Fremantle 14.10 (94)
Hawthorn 8.16 (64)

Last match
Rd 4 Aurora Stadium
Hawthorn 18.10 (118)
Fremantle 11.10 (76)

Head to Head at the MCG
Played 1
Hawthorn 1
Fremantle 0

This grand final is just the second match played at Hawthorn's Melbourne home ground.

Head to Head in Melbourne
Played 7
Hawthorn 5
Fremantle 2

This grand final is the second match played between the teams in Victoria since 2001.

Last 10 games
Fremantle: 8 wins 2 losses
Hawthorn: 9 wins 1 loss

History in Grand Finals
Hawthorn: played 16, won 10 lost 6
Fremantle: grand final debut

Head to Head
Played 27
Fremantle 7
Hawthorn 20

Hawthorn has the best win-loss record against Fremantle out of all 18 AFL clubs.

Head to Head in Finals
Played 1
Fremantle 1
Hawthorn 0

Last Finals Meeting
Elimination Final @ Subiaco Oval
Fremantle 14.10 (94)
Hawthorn 8.16 (64)

Last match
Rd 4 Aurora Stadium
Hawthorn 18.10 (118)
Fremantle 11.10 (76)

Head to Head at the MCG
Played 1
Hawthorn 1
Fremantle 0

This grand final is just the second match played at Hawthorn's Melbourne home ground.

Head to Head in Melbourne
Played 7
Hawthorn 5
Fremantle 2

This grand final is the second match played between the teams in Victoria since 2001.

Last 10 games
Fremantle: 8 wins 2 losses
Hawthorn: 9 wins 1 loss

History in Grand Finals
Hawthorn: played 16, won 10 lost 6
Fremantle: grand final debut

3) Hawthorn's Backline Vs Fremantle's Forward Line

HAWTHORN:
FB: GUERRA, LAKE, GIBSON
HB: BIRCHALL, STRATTON, HODGE

FREMANTLE:
FF: WALTERS, PAVLICH, CLARKE/SANDI
HF: BALLANTYNE, MAYNE, DE BOER/MZUNGU

Much have been said about Hawthorn’s potent attack with tall marking options as well as classy smalls (Rioli, Breust and Gunston) however Fremantle’s forwards have been a key driving force behind their first Grand Final berth. The ‘small’ trio of Walters, Mayne and Ballantyne have played the majority of the season, with Pavlich only appearing in 11 games. The three have kicked a combined 157 goals, with Walters leading the way with 44. However it the pressure and defensive work which have often been lauded as Freo’s weapon in manygames, highlighted by Mayne’s whooping 13 tackles against Sydney in last week’s Prelim. The pressure and intensity of the forwards gave Sydney little time with the ball and allowed Fremantle to lock down the forward 50. This will need to be replicated as much as possible, with the same intent required push the defence of Hawks. Ballatyne uses his pace well to negate his opponent, whereas Walters uses his balance and footy smarts whilst on the attack. The key aspect of Fremantle’s attack is no doubt the captain Matthew Pavlich. He will almost certainly take Brian Lake, and use his fitness to lead up the ground as well as one-on-one marking. It is important that Fremantle expose Pavlich one-on-one and try and force Gibson out of the contest which Clarke or Sandilands can allow.

Hawthorn’s defence have been very rock solid over the season, with Lake coming into an already settled side. Shoenmakers’ ACL injury in Round 4 (ironically against Fremantle) allowed the former Bulldog to become the number 1 full back, with Gibson often taking the second best forward or resting ruckman. The two have worked extremely well in spoiling many of the opposition’s attacks and kept numerous premier forwards quiet, with Lake winning the battle against Tom Hawkins last weekend. The hawks’ major weapon is the skill level of the half backer flankers, particularly Birchall and Guerra. Short precise kicking from the back allows Hawthorn to set up their game as well as open oppositions on the break. Grant Birchall has been the shining light of the setup, often rebounding with pace and kicking precisely through the corridor. Luke Hodge is hugely influential, inspiring his team with his relentless attack on the ball as well as also using his own skill set to hurt the opposition the other way.

MATCH UPS:
Walters vs. Guerra- probably the ideal match up as Walters can use his leap advantage as well as pace to force Guerra to defend. Guerra will use his kicking to set up Hawthorn coming out the backline.

Lake Vs Pavlich- the best defender against the best forward on each side. Will be a great battle. One-on-ones will be important for both teams.

Gibson vs Clarke/Sandi- Gibson takes on the resting ruckman and will most likely match up against Sandilands. Gibson like to be involved as third man up so will be important for either of these two to drag him away from the contest and allow the forwards to have a chance.

Birchall vs De Boer- probably one of the key match ups- Birchall is a major component of their drive from the backline. Uses his precise kicking well and runs off opponent whenever Hawthorn attacks. De Boer got thoroughly beaten last time, however will be up for the contest and must negate Birchall all game. De Boer could also possibly be on Hodge with Mzungu coming into the rotations.

Mayne vs Stratton- Stratton is often used as a small/third defender and is the obvious choice for Mayne given his height.

Ballantyne/Mzungu vs Hodge- The captain of Hawthorn is courageous and doesn’t skirt from the contest so will require a similar player from Freo to match up against. Mzungu is a possibility given his run with roles, also Suban may be given the job in the HF. Ballantyne also may harass either of Guerra or Birchall so Hodge can play the loose defender, however will be against three possibilities come bounce down.

How Can the Fremantle Forward line help Fremantle win?
The intensity and pressure of the three smalls throughout the match must enable the ball stays inside the forward 50, bringing the midfield into the game, limiting the run and skill of Hawthorn’s backline. Turnovers and disposal efficiency will be important for the forwards, causing Hawks to play outside of their comfort level as well as hurting their opponents the other way. Mayne will have to against replicate his game against Sydney whilst Ballantyne maintains his attack on the ball throughout the game. Pavlich winning the contest and kicking 2+ goals enables Fremantle to hit the scoreboard which is Hawthorn’s trademark. Halting Hawthorn’s short kicking and forcing the ball long to a contest allows Fremantle to bring numbers around the ball so the forwards must maintain the intensity on their opponents wherever possible

How can the Hawthorn Backline help Hawthorn win?
The skill level as well as spread of Hawthorn’s defence on the day will hugely influence how well the Hawks attack through the corridor particularly with short kicking. Birchall and Guerra uses the ball well and effectively so the backline will look for ways to get the ball in their hands. Winning the contest against Pavlich as well as the resting ruckman causes Hawthorn to nullify Freo’s targets and puts pressure on the smalls to score goals. Gibson and Lake’s spoiling will again influence the effectiveness of each attack.

Remove this Banner Ad

Unofficial Preview Grand Final - Hawthorn vs Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

Back