Grand Final Rematch: Hawthorn vs Fremantle - Who will win?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Leaning towards the hawks with Fyfe and Barlow out.

I thought our GF side had comfortably the better midfield on paper and Mitchell was tagged completely out of it, you still had the advantage.

Not completely sold that wasn't also part of Clarkson's doing - using Mitchell as a blocking decoy to allow other Hawks first access to the ball.

But you are right - you guys had the better midfield, particularly Mundy who was a class above all the other midfielders on the ground that day - strength over the ball, broke lines and quality skills

Well it seems things are starting to even out a little more, if Mitchell lines up then I'll be backing us, if not then Freo. Line ball game now.

Aside from Pavlich, the Dockers don't usually have a tall forward line. Our short back line could actually work on a ground like the MCG this week. It's going to be raining on Friday night.
I meant more for talent. I really rate Mayne, Walters and Ballantyne, and without Stratton and Hodge down there, and Burgoyne requires in the midfield, they'll get a couple of cheap goals each I reckon.

Freo's structures don't hold up as well as you think. Their record doesn't hold up too good when missing two of their big 3 mids, which you are on Friday. Last time was an 8 goal loss to Geelong. When you rested senior players towards the end of last year you got beaten by Saints. If your structures had of held up you would have definitely beaten the Saints who were terrible all year.

Plus yes Sylvia has AFL experience, but he is from Melbourne who have absolutely no structure. Your in's haven't played AFL all year. Hawthorns 'ins' and already in and are playing there 3rd games for the year

so Hawks should be definite favorites for Friday night ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ross Lyon said today on top of losing Dawson, Barlow and Fyfe that the following four players are in doubt:

Michael Walters (ankle)
Hayden Ballentyne (knee, head knock)
Luke McPharlin (cork, calf)
Michael Johnson (cork, calf)

Huge outs but I wouldn't be surprised to see all four line up on Friday night.

Hawks by 4 goals, Mitchell will play. Freo are a shadow of themselves when Barlow & Fyfe aren't playing can't see who can replace them. Suppose if you are looking to hit September with an impact it's not the worst time to have major players missing.

for team touted as 2nd favorites for the premiership, that must be a very worrying sign if they do not have the depth to cover 2 or 3 of their best players?
Every team currently has injuries to key personnel but are finding a way to win their games.
We have the depth to beat most sides tho, not sure about beating sides like Hawthorn tho who are the benchmark of the comp.

Ross Lyon said today on top of losing Dawson, Barlow and Fyfe that the following four players are in doubt:

Michael Walters (ankle)
Hayden Ballentyne (knee, head knock)
Luke McPharlin (cork, calf)
Michael Johnson (cork, calf)

Huge outs but I wouldn't be surprised to see all four line up on Friday night.
So we have hodge suggesting that we get Stratton, Sewell, Mitchell and possibly himself all lining up,

While Ross is playing it way down suggesting most of the side is too sore to turn up.

It's a game until the team sheets are out on Thursday night.

So we have hodge suggesting that we get Stratton, Sewell, Mitchell and possibly himself all lining up,

While Ross is playing it way down suggesting most of the side is too sore to turn up.

It's a game until the team sheets are out on Thursday night.

fbd3ca604261612777b08e691a173bdc.jpg

We have the depth to beat most sides tho, not sure about beating sides like Hawthorn tho who are the benchmark of the comp.
That you, Ross?

Gotta love the way Freo have been talking themselves down and talking the Hawks up.
The Dockers are clearly the team to beat in 2014.

Hawthorn will have their work cut out kicking 10 or 11 goals this Friday. We kicked just 11 in perfect conditions on Grand Final day last September and in that game, we had close to a full strength side.

I'm not too worried about the result this Friday. Really, it's just another chance to grab 4 premiership points. Nothing more. Nothing less. The result will have no other bearing on our meeting(s) further down the track. That said, I expect Freo to give us a whipping. We haven't been overly impressive in the past 2 weeks with our unsettled lineup.

I'm hoping we scan make a good game of it, but it won't surprise me if they restrict us to 8 goals and kick 13 or 14 themselves. It could even get uglier if we drop our heads in the last quarter and they get their tails up.

Last edited:
That you, Ross?

Gotta love the way Freo have been talking themselves down and talking the Hawks up.
The Dockers are clearly the team to beat in 2014.

Hawthorn will have their work cut out kicking 10 or 11 goals this Friday. We kicked just 11 in perfect conditions on Grand Final day last September and in that game, we had close to a full strength side.

I'm not too worried about the result this Friday. Really, it's just another chance to grab 4 premiership points. Nothing more. Nothing less. The result will have no other bearing on our meeting(s) further down the track. That said, I expect Freo to give us a whipping. We haven't been overly impressive in the past 2 weeks with our unsettled lineup.

I'm hoping we scan make a good game of it, but it won't surprise me if they restrict us to 8 goals and kick 13 or 14 themselves. It could even get uglier if we drop our heads in the last quarter and they get their tails up.
If the rumours are true and Johnson, McPharlin and Walters are out we aren't a chance in hell, you will kick 20 goals and we will be lucky to kick 9.

Saying that it will most likely be a scrap fest if the hawks don't kill Freo with their precision kicking and that will favour Freo. We will have more of an idea when the teams get announced on Thursday.

Its an important match but I'm sure it won't be the most important hawks Freo clash of 2014.

What are the conditions going to be like on friday night? It's forecast as a shower or two in local terms is that lots of rain/drizzle or isolated showers (once a day like Perth)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back