Grand Final Rematch: Hawthorn vs Fremantle - Who will win?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's the media headlines

If freo win: amazing depth, well coached, hawks cooked
If hawthorn win: hawks beat undermanned freo
Depends on which state you're in. In WA it would be:
If freo win: freo beat undermanned hawks
If hawthorn win: amazing depth, well coached, freo cooked

Here's the media headlines

If freo win: amazing depth, well coached, hawks cooked
If hawthorn win: hawks beat undermanned freo

Depends on which state you're in. In WA it would be:
If freo win: freo beat undermanned hawks
If hawthorn win: amazing depth, well coached, freo cooked

And when the eagles beat the mighty saints it will be - "BOOK YOUR FLIGHTS"

I was there. What was wrong with the conditions? Refresh my memory.

The storm never eventuated. Not during the game anyway. There was no greasiness, or night time dew. It was overcast and cool. No sun in the eyes. No players overheating. Perfect. There was a swirly breeze, but nothing too difficult for the Hawks. It wasn't a strong wind which affected the field kicking. The wind was far more gusty during the 2012 Grand Final.

Sounds to me like you may have over-analysed the conditions when making your excuses for missing goals.

Well I sat down at the punt road end and watched the rain falling in 5 different directions across the oval for the first quarter barely managing to keep dry thanks to my poncho. You know that quarter where we kicked all those points and OOTF's. You're probably used to it as the Hawks get to play there so much and that's Melbourne weather.

I saw that swirling rain and thought... oh crap. Fremantle hardly get to play at the MCG on a day like that Hawthorn were always going to have a big advantage over them. Not an excuse but a fact. Freo don't play there much... instead we're bundled off to Etihad or even worse against Hawthorn, Launceston.

Well I sat down at the punt road end and watched the rain falling in 5 different directions across the oval for the first quarter barely managing to keep dry thanks to my poncho. You know that quarter where we kicked all those points and OOTF's. You're probably used to it as the Hawks get to play there so much and that's Melbourne weather.

I saw that swirling rain and thought... oh crap. Fremantle hardly get to play at the MCG on a day like that Hawthorn were always going to have a big advantage over them. Not an excuse but a fact. Freo don't play there much... instead we're bundled off to Etihad or even worse against Hawthorn, Launceston.

I'm sure I saw an interview with Mitchell afterwards where he said the conditions were so swirly you just had to aim straight and hope for the best, because there was no way you could allow for what the wind was going to do. I had a quick look but I can't find it online.

I was there too and the first half was the craziest wind I've ever sat in for a footy game (2nd half was fine though). I got thoroughly soaked too, so I don't know where the claims of rain not eventuating are coming from. If that's considered good conditions for the G then we really are at a disadvantage by not getting to play there more often.

Who cares about the weather. Will play absolutely no part in the game and does not help either team. It rains in both states believe it or not!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was there and he's right. The conditions were very far from "perfect". The wind was considerably more than a "swirly breeze" and from memory there was a light drizzle before the game and close to half time.

Both teams played in the same conditions however so not sure how it's relevant anyway.

Concur, home ground advantage in those swirly conditions was ke to the hawks win. Nat fyfe in recent documentary said they had no opportunity to kick for goal in the warm up which i find staggering. He cited the pre game entertainment but surely the freo coaching panel should have insisted ? Hawks certainly had practice and had had a recent game against collingwood in similar contions.

Having said that at the end of the game the hawks had plenty in reserve to go harder if fro had challenged, whereas the year before they were spent

Ross Lyon said today on top of losing Dawson, Barlow and Fyfe that the following four players are in doubt:

Michael Walters (ankle)
Hayden Ballentyne (knee, head knock)
Luke McPharlin (cork, calf)
Michael Johnson (cork, calf)

Huge outs but I wouldn't be surprised to see all four line up on Friday night.

Was a bruising game, GC in the wet. I'm happy for Fyfe to have a rest actually..he got smashed from pillar to post

Both teams missing a similar amount of talent - so no excuses for the loser.

At full strength I couldn't split them, and still can't.

Should be a cracking game, be interesting to see fringe players getting bigger roles.

Yeah happy for both teams to be undermanned in rd3..no need to show both full hands yet. The outs add to the contest for but Still 4 pts for grabs tho.

I fully expect us to be smashed. We'll be relying on players like Will Langford stepping up to be more than competitive.

Well Johnson and Walters didn't train today. No doubt they will be on the plane and given every chance to come up by match time but its a short turn around to get on a plane Wed after what was a very physical game in wet conditions on Saturday. I have no doubt those that come in to the team from amongst C Pearce, Ibbotson, Silvagni, Neale & possibly Crozier/Sylvia will give a good effort but I'm not sure its going to be good enough to topple the Hawks.

Well Johnson and Walters didn't train today. No doubt they will be on the plane and given every chance to come up by match time but its a short turn around to get on a plane Wed after what was a very physical game in wet conditions on Saturday. I have no doubt those that come in to the team from amongst C Pearce, Ibbotson, Silvagni, Neale & possibly Crozier/Sylvia will give a good effort but I'm not sure its going to be good enough to topple the Hawks.
At the moment, Johnson isn't at the airport, looks like hes injured and missing too. With him out now, given the rest of our outs, I cannot see us winning this one. Two defenders, two midfielders, blokes who are coming in are coming from injuries and are being rushed.

At the moment, Johnson isn't at the airport, looks like hes injured and missing too. With him out now, given the rest of our outs, I cannot see us winning this one. Two defenders, two midfielders, blokes who are coming in are coming from injuries and are being rushed.
Words is Jonno will fly later. We'll see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back