Preview Grand Final Sydney v Geelong MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just saw on 360 that Geelong players don't spend much time together outside the club and it 'benefits' them according to the drunk.

This is pretty much the exact opposite for the swans. Always see on twitter players out and about and about 5 players living together in flats.

Find it fascinating that we've both reached success with such a contrast in styles.
It's probably just reflective of the different list profiles.

We've got 4 players in the team over 30 while they've got 10.

More of their players likely to have a family and other stuff going on, so it makes sense.

Anyone dare to imagine a former no 1 draft pick KP Forward taking Reid's spot up forward and a debut for Gould on Hawkins? :oops:
No.

Not sure if you're joking but I'd fricking love that.
Sort of joking. Mostly not. I had a couple of clarets and sent JPK a message on instagram like a true nuffie. "hope the family is well, bad luck for the season. Could you please consider Warwick Capper as the person to present us the trophy should we make the GF and should we win, it'll make the world a happier place. Really enjoyed watching you playing for the swans. Alright, that's good stuff!"

No response from JPK. :rolleyes:

Just saw on 360 that Geelong players don't spend much time together outside the club and it 'benefits' them according to the drunk.

This is pretty much the exact opposite for the swans. Always see on twitter players out and about and about 5 players living together in flats.

Find it fascinating that we've both reached success with such a contrast in styles.
The Geelong players all have their own cliques at the Bingo Hall.

How did we only kick 2 goals in the 2nd half
Hopefully horse reviews the 2nd drop off as that’s the major concern
I also wouldn't underestimate the impact the week off before might've had. We flew out of the gates so thankfully avoided any early-game sluggishness but I think they were still probably more primed for a fight all the way to the final siren. So a combination of a lot of things.

Pies like to play right to the final siren and were physically prepared to do it.
We probably put the cue in the rack a little after getting 6 goals up.
Young side that probably got a bit nervous so close to a grand final.
Sam Reid going off and hurting our structure forward of the ball.
Playing so attacking through the first three quarters and tiring ourselves.

It was a very good win.

This is my opinion

I can see them risking Reid but only as a forward
There is no way they won’t have back up for hicky
If Reid was to go down and left to McDonald and Franklin as Talls and hicky to ruck alone , the game is over

I can see them dropping McDonald for amerty to back up hicky and making McDonald sub then if Reid was to go he comes in for Reid as a forward
I agree.
Especially because McDonald can also cover the wing, defence and even a midfield role at a pinch.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sort of joking. Mostly not. I had a couple of clarets and sent JPK a message on instagram like a true nuffie. "hope the family is well, bad luck for the season. Could you please consider Warwick Capper as the person to present us the trophy should we make the GF and should we win, it'll make the world a happier place. Really enjoyed watching you playing for the swans. Alright, that's good stuff!"

No response from JPK. :rolleyes:

probably thought it was the real warwick capper

Have now watched the game 3 times. Live at the ground Saturday night and twice on replay. People are not going to want to hear this but McDonald unfortunately has too be omitted.He is not having an impact and Amertey would be a better option of competing in the air with the Geelong defence competing hard and bringing the ball to ground as he did earlier in the year against Melbourne at the G. It is a GF and a lot of the ball coming in is inevitably going to be a bomb kick under pressure. Get in crash the pack and bring the ball to ground for Heeney Papley and midfielders surging forward. Only my opinion but obviously changes if Reid does not play.

I was at the ground and watched one replay, my thoughts on Logan’s role was in first half he was instructed to keep Darcy Moore out of the game. As far away from Buddy and Reid as possible to ensure he couldn’t intercept or go third man up.

Second half Moore goes to Buddy and Logan plays a more traditional forward role, kicked a goal, did some good defensive work and was very unlucky with missing out another F50 mark and shot on goal by a fingertip.

Keep Logan in the team for mine, he also has something special about him, clean hands and will play well on MCG.

The McDonald vs Armatey debate was answered by the coaches when they dropped Armatey in favour of McDonald. Given McDonald is the 3rd tall they've chosen, and he's had senior experience throughout the latter stages of the season, it would be an incredible change of heart for coaches to drop him for Armatey who hasn't had the same level of continuity over the last few weeks.

To me, it comes down to Reid, if he plays, I'd say we go in unchanged, if he's deemed unfit, then Armatey gets the call up as the player who has the most similar attributes to Reid (compared to McLean). McLeans the better mark, but Armatey offers more in the ruck, and is the more mobile of the two (I.e. offering similar attributes to Reid).

The one possible line of reasoning to drop McDonald, in favour of Armatey (in the event that Reid does play), is that he'd be able to play ruck in the event Reid went down.

Pretty stressful stuff, I hope Reid plays, and I hope he's fit enough to play his role.

Let's go Sammy!!

It’s Logan for mine every day of the week. Has the capability to play at a higher level than both Amartey and McLean, now and in the future.

Why would kill the kids confidence by dropping him for a GF when he is the future of our club?

I hope Reid gets up for the GF, has really shone this year and deserves to play. If he does, we go with Amartey as the sub as insurance, minimises the risk but may expose us if we pick up an injury to a runner.

Otherwise it’s a straight swap for Amartey. That would be my only change.

We have a winning formula and that includes the impact Logan can make in a game.

Fairy certain that Amartey and Mclean haven't played a game in 3 weeks.

Keep McDonald;
This!!!

McDonald is the only one match fit... both the others have been tried, tested, and dropped.

McDonald has been performing his role. It's pretty unsung, but he's been in there doing the right things and taking a defender. If they are all playing their roles, it means none of Franklin, Reid, Heeney, Papley or Hayward are likely to be double teamed. Which is why we scored at will for the first three quarters of the prelim. McDonald plays...

The only change is for Reid if unfit... but having heard Cox's statement, I reckon he'll play.

It’s Logan for mine every day of the week. Has the capability to play at a higher level than both Amartey and McLean, now and in the future.

Why would kill the kids confidence by dropping him for a GF when he is the future of our club?

I hope Reid gets up for the GF, has really shone this year and deserves to play. If he does, we go with Amartey as the sub as insurance, minimises the risk but may expose us if we pick up an injury to a runner.

Otherwise it’s a straight swap for Amartey. That would be my only change.

We have a winning formula and that includes the impact Logan can make in a game.
The only concern I have with Armatey as the sub, is, what if a small goes down early in the match. Then we lose a lot of run, and may end up being too tall. The problem would be compounded if there happened to be rain during the game, and we end up being way too tall.

In addition to that, if Reid or hickey go down later in the match, we'll be battling to stay competitive in the ruck, while having our smalls run off their feet.

Slight chance of it happening, but when you select a tall as the sub, and that situation comes to fruition, it's a huge advantage to your opposition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back