Greatest ever Hawthorn mature-age recruit from another club?

Will we land another big free agency signing at the end of 2016?

• Yep.

• Nope.

• Not sure.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Could be an interesting discussion. Names that appear off the top of my head are

Lake
Gibson
Salmon
Greene
Burgoyne

Of those guys I would put Salmon at the top of the list. At the time it felt like he transformed our side, and surprisingly made our team of the century. After saying that without Lake there'd be no threepeat, and Gibson has been just as valuable.

It is interesting that Gibbo is down the list behind Burgers and or Lake for everyone though considering he is the one with two Premiership year Peter Crimmins Medals in the group

It is interesting that Gibbo is down the list behind Burgers and or Lake for everyone though considering he is the one with two Premiership year Peter Crimmins Medals in the group
Gibbo is an excellent player and leader, I just think Lake was the key that allowed Gibbo to play the role we wanted him to, which allowed him to play his more natural game and flourish. Lake doesn't make Gibbo a better player, he just allows Gibbo to be the player he really is. Or he did anyway, this year will be interesting.

The flip side of that is that without gibbo lake would have looked slow and lumbering and not had the freedom to role off his man and try and take intercept marks.

Interesting thread for another day - duo's who make each other look better/worse.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When we recruited Trent Croad from Fremantle it completed the greatest heist in Australia's history. The great bookie robbery diminishes to a street mugging by comparison.

Clearly has to be Gibson. Has a greater body of work at Hawthorn than Lake. And has had consistently tougher assignments than Burgoyne over the Journey. It was no coincidence that our form waivered in 2014 sans him. Plus two PCMs as already mentioned.

B: Austin McCrabb Todd Ridley Matthew Dent
HB: Darren Baxter Nathan Chapman Barry Young
C: Andrew Demetriou Ben Ross Simon Cox
HF: Bo Nixon Kingsley Hunter Leon Higgins
F: Simon Minton-Connell Brett O'Farrell Shayne Stevenson
R: Randall Bone Mark Bunn Jon Hassall
Inter: Tom Allen Nick Stone Ricky Nixon Broc McCauley
Coach: Cameron Bruce

Bit top heavy on the bench!

B: Austin McCrabb Todd Ridley Matthew Dent
HB: Darren Baxter Nathan Chapman Barry Young
C: Andrew Demetriou Ben Ross Simon Cox
HF: Bo Nixon Kingsley Hunter Leon Higgins
F: Simon Minton-Connell Brett O'Farrell Shayne Stevenson
R: Randall Bone Mark Bunn Jon Hassall
Inter: Tom Allen Nick Stone Ricky Nixon Broc McCauley
Coach: Cameron Bruce

Bit top heavy on the bench!
Correction - Tim Allen

This...even though Burgoyne is a magnificent player, Lake's importance to our structure and defence setup and his GF day performances takes the cake for me.
We wouldn't have made it to the GF in 13 without Burgoyne though and I don't think we could have won 3 without all of them at various stages of each season

Remove this Banner Ad

Greatest ever Hawthorn mature-age recruit from another club?

Back