Greatest ever Hawthorn mature-age recruit from another club?

Will we land another big free agency signing at the end of 2016?

• Yep.

• Nope.

• Not sure.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

My Top 40 mature age recruits over the last 40 years since 1975> Have factor evenly, a) Overall Hawthorn career output vs, b) Finals performances of note, vs c) Premierships & individual awards collected, vs d) Relative strength of team at the time. Hard exercise.

1. John Platten (SA)
2. Josh Gibson (Nth Melb)
3. Paul Salmon (Essendon)
4. Shaun Burgoyne (Port Adelaide)
5. Russell Greene (St Kilda)
6. Gary Buckenara (WA)
7. Darren Jarman (SA)
8. Brian Lake (Western Bulldogs)
9. Jack Gunston (Adelaide)
10. Joel Smith (St Kilda)
11. Tony Hall (SA)
12. Trent Croad (Fremantle)
13. Ben Allan (WA)
14. Isaac Smith (VIC)
15. David Hale (North Melb)
16. Stuart Dew (Port Adelaide)
17. Barry Rowlings (VIC)
18. Brent Guerra (Port Adelaide)
19. Colin Robertson (TAS)
20. Peter Everitt (St Kilda)
21. Norm Goss Jnr (South Melb)
22. Paul Puopolo (SA)
23. James Frawley (Melbourne)
24. Ken Judge (WA)
25. John Barker (Brisbane Lions)
26. Tony Woods (Collingwood)
27. Ben McEvoy (St Kilda)
28. Rod Lester-Smith (WA)
29. Michael Byrne (Melbourne)
30. Stephen Gilham (Port Adelaide)
31. Simon Cox (Western Bulldogs)
32. Jonathan Robran (SA)
33. Jason Taylor (Fitzroy)
34. Craig Treleven (WA)
35. Aaron Lord (Geelong)
36. Kris Barlow (VIC)
37. Anthony Rock (North Melb)
38. Darren Kappler (Sydney)
39. Shaun Rehn (Adelaide)
40. Matt Spangher (Sydney)

That's a very, very good bit of work.

My Top 40 mature age recruits over the last 40 years since 1975> Have factor evenly, a) Overall Hawthorn career output vs, b) Finals performances of note, vs c) Premierships & individual awards collected, vs d) Relative strength of team at the time. Hard exercise.

1. John Platten (SA)
6. Gary Buckenara (WA)
7. Darren Jarman (SA)
11. Tony Hall (SA)
13. Ben Allan (WA)
14. Isaac Smith (VIC)
17. Barry Rowlings (VIC)
22. Paul Puopolo (SA)
24. Ken Judge (WA)
32. Jonathan Robran (SA)
34. Craig Treleven (WA)
35. Aaron Lord (Geelong)
36. Kris Barlow (VIC)

If you are including Isaac Smith then he is top 10 easy. Not sure how Gunston makes the list given he was 20 when recruited. Far from "mature".

Not a bad list. Not sure if Jonatahan Robran deserves to be there, though. He really wasn't great. Simon Minton-Connell could possibly be squeezed in at #40; he was serviceable for the one or two seasons he played. At very least I remember he kicked 8 goals one game.
Jonathan Robran was drafted pick 11 in 1992
Not sure how a teenager can be classified a mature-age recruit

so hard...like someone said, its like trying to pick a favourite child...cant be done!
i will go the old fashioned top 10:
Equal 1st - Burgers, Lake and Gibbo
Equal 2nd - Greene, Fish, Hale and Goo
Equal 3rd - Bucky, Pops and Everitt
Gunner too young to qualify for mature age I reckon

Hawthorn team of recruits(will need a lot of help):

B: Croad Lake Gibson
HB: Jacobs Frawley Guerra
C: Greene ? Dew
HF: Poupolo Gunston
F: Platten Salmon Hale
Foll: McEvoy Burgoyne
Int: Smith Rehn

I don't have much knowledge on the 20th century players so if people can fill the gaps or maybe move the players around.
slot Spangher into the CHF or how about Johnny Barker
Move Smith to the Centre and have Tony Woods in the mid field as well.

Others who could get a run Ceglar and Simpkin, Michael Bryne (x Melbourne player)

If we are going to have interstate recruits from state league before the inception of the AFL draft these 80's players would be move than useful: Tony Hall, Gary Buckanera, Jason Dunstall, Ken Judge, Russell Morris, Peter Hudson, Darrin Pritchard

Fair effort there. Who could forget Johnnie Barker and the goal in the final against Port Adeliade. I'd have Bremner for Cheney and Kappler for Beaumont. Funny how we've never been able to develop homegrown ruckman.
The last decent one being Don Scott
Ian Paton would finished up in 1985 and played 155 games and Greg Dear 137 games were also useful

Fair effort there. Who could forget Johnnie Barker and the goal in the final against Port Adeliade. I'd have Bremner for Cheney and Kappler for Beaumont. Funny how we've never been able to develop homegrown ruckman.
The last decent one being Don Scott
I always found Greg dear an underrated part of our later 80s success. Stephen Lawrence was also unstoppable in the 91 season. But Don Scott was our last truly great ruckman I think.

1. John Platten (SA)
6. Gary Buckenara (WA)
7. Darren Jarman (SA)
11. Tony Hall (SA)
13. Ben Allan (WA)
14. Isaac Smith (VIC)
17. Barry Rowlings (VIC)
22. Paul Puopolo (SA)
24. Ken Judge (WA)
32. Jonathan Robran (SA)
34. Craig Treleven (WA)
35. Aaron Lord (Geelong)
36. Kris Barlow (VIC)

Where is Stewie Dew? Sure he only played 5 minutes of footy of note for the Hawks, but boy oh boy what a 5 minutes :thumbsu::rainbow:

Russell Greene from the 80's era, played in a few premierships, by far the most successful mature age recruit.
Not Gibbo or Lake, with 3xPremierships & 2xB&F or a Norm Smith respectively?

I heard a story the other day, that the Saints had run out of money & couldn't pay Greene. They'd named him on the Thursday night, but called him Friday & advised him that they'd released him & to rock up at the Hawks' game on Saturday afternoon. Apparently, he attended the Hawks game & was told by Hawks personnel that he'd turned up at the wrong ground, only for them to soon learn that he was now a Hawk. It was a mid-season release & transfer, to put it in today's terms. I think we sent a few back the other way, maybe one named Nugent?

Can anyone comment or confirm?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I heard a story the other day, that the Saints had run out of money & couldn't pay Greene. They'd named him on the Thursday night, but called him Friday & advised him that they'd released him & to rock up at the Hawks' game on Saturday afternoon. Apparently, he attended the Hawks game & was told by Hawks personnel that he'd turned up at the wrong ground, only for them to soon learn that he was now a Hawk. It was a mid-season release & transfer, to put it in today's terms. I think we sent a few back the other way, maybe one named Nugent?

There was quite a bit of that stuff happening in the eighties. From memory playing lists had to be finalised by 30th June, so players could be traded and find themselves at a different team half way through the season without their knowledge. Weird times. Happened to someone I knew at the time. One day Fitzroy, next St Kilda.

Russell Greene was traded for Mark Scott and Tony King

Glenn Nugent was traded to the Saints in '94

That's pretty much the story. Nugent, Dean Anderson and Russel Morris went to the Saints at around the same time in the early 90's.

I remember Greene played 1988 almost as a sub - Joyce would sit him on the bench until half time, then he would come on a wreak havoc. He was seriously good.

I will give you Gibbo and Lake. I nominated Greene for his longevity(200 gamer???? could be wrong) , also played in three premierships and night premierships and yes you are correct about the saints letting him go because of a payment dispute. I remember Jeans held him in high regard when he came to Hawthorn.

Remove this Banner Ad

Greatest ever Hawthorn mature-age recruit from another club?

Back