Greatest Ever Sitcom Round 4 - M*A*S*H vs Southpark

Remove this Banner Ad

Totally agree... but they are totally different shows so unsure why they are in the same poll.
Because they are part of a competition that started with 128 shows and they were drawn to meet each other in the next round.

Friends and Simpsons is the next one and they are nothing alike.

Because they are part of a competition that started with 128 shows and they were drawn to meet each other in the next round.

Friends and Simpsons is the next one and they are nothing alike.

Well this is where it sucks, both MASH and Southpark are miles ahead of Friends and Simpsons.
Oh well, i'll be voting for MASH anyway.

Well this is where it sucks, both MASH and Southpark are miles ahead of Friends and Simpsons.
Oh well, i'll be voting for MASH anyway.
But that is a personal opinion. Many others would have one of the latter above both of the former.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But that is a personal opinion. Many others would have one of the latter above both of the former.

I was about to post that your polls were a bit skewed, you should have had Mash against Friends & the Simpsons against South Park, I love both Mash & South Park, but couldn't stand Friends & went off the Simpsons after the second series.

So come one ODN, please switch them & start again. :thumbsu:

I was about to post that your polls were a bit skewed, you should have had Mash against Friends & the Simpsons against South Park, I love both Mash & South Park, but couldn't stand Friends & went off the Simpsons after the second series.

So come one ODN, please switch them & start again. :thumbsu:
I can't. It is like a tennis tournament and they are in the same part of the draw. It isn't about comparing like with like, it is just an elimination process until we get down to the final.

They are totally different shows. Just pick which one you like more and which one you would prefer to advance.

I can't. It is like a tennis tournament and they are in the same part of the draw. It isn't about comparing like with like, it is just an elimination process until we get down to the final.

They are totally different shows. Just pick which one you like more and which one you would prefer to advance.

But you are wiping out one show which would probably win, if it wasn't pitted against another good one, while on the other hand, one weak show which would probably get beaten advances.

OH & it should be like against like, sorry ODN.

But you are wiping out one show which would probably win, if it wan't pitted against another good one, while on the other hand, one wek show which would probably get beaten advances.

So what happens when the only ones left aren't like each other?

Eventually there is only going to be one winner, where the others fall is largely irrelevant.

But you are wiping out one show which would probably win, if it wasn't pitted against another good one, while on the other hand, one weak show which would probably get beaten advances.

With all due respect, we are in round 4. We started with 128 shows of differing appeal, generations and types. It is run like a tennis tournament where shows likely to advance to the last couple of rounds were seeded to come up against each other.

We have already had a couple of perceived upsets which shows that what the individual thinks is not necessarily the same as what the majority thinks.

I can't just manipulate the competition based on which shows some think are stronger than others when there have been contrary opinions expressed elsewhere.

All of the shows that have moved through to the last 16 have stood the test of time or are of the highest quality or have achieved cult status. There is no definitive way of saying which ones are going to win out over another.

Whilst on this board I would agree that Friends would get well beaten by Simpsons, I believe that MASH or Southpark would also get beaten by Simpsons very easily.

It won't be changed, especially if people have not followed the threads and are wandering in late trying to get it changed.

Southpark a Sitcom?

M*A*S*H even? Come on, classing either of these shows sitcoms is a long bow to draw.

FWIW I find Southpark funnier, but M*A*S*H was almost a drama at times and could be quite moving.

As for pure comedy, SP has it beaten easily, but M*A*S*H was much more than just comedy IMO.

Maybe this competition should be 'greatest ever comedy tv series'?

Southpark a Sitcom?

M*A*S*H even? Come on, classing either of these shows sitcoms is a long bow to draw.

FWIW I find Southpark funnier, but M*A*S*H was almost a drama at times and could be quite moving.

As for pure comedy, SP has it beaten easily, but M*A*S*H was much more than just comedy IMO.

MASH is certainly a sitcom - that it was able to be moving as well is what makes it a great sitcom.

Southpark is arguable - but I don't think it's a massive stretch to include it.

MASH is certainly a sitcom - that it was able to be moving as well is what makes it a great sitcom.

Southpark is arguable - but I don't think it's a massive stretch to include it.

When I think Sitcom I think full house :)

Wiki refers to it as a medical drama/black comedy.

I guess both are technically classes as sitcoms, but I just dont see them in the same way as the 'classic' sitcom formula that's all.

It started after a request that a more substantial sitcom contest was arranged and has become bigger than Ben Hur.

A comedy TV series would have had all skit shows as well and turned into something else.

Fast Forward/Full Frontal. 9 o'c clock news, Benny Hill, Monty Python etc/ Totally changes the whole feel of the competition.

Some members of my family absolutely love Mash and consider it the greatest show ever.

But I'm just going by what I prefer and I find it slightly boring, whereas I not only love south park because it is funny, it is also pretty smart for a supposed "low brow" show.

Remove this Banner Ad

Greatest Ever Sitcom Round 4 - M*A*S*H vs Southpark

Remove this Banner Ad

Back