Greatest Ever Sitcom Round 4 - M*A*S*H vs Southpark

Remove this Banner Ad

Both are very unique and VERY contrasting humour styles. Mash being far more poetic, witty and was a revolution of its era with Alan Alda being af marvel in his performance to this day. South Park is more blunt, take on the world and not afraid to argue any point...most oftenly by finding the middle ground of reason or the more controversial point through finding the extremes of both sides of the issue.

It's hard for me to be honest because I grew up watching and loving both of these shows. I'll go with South Park for only one reason: The Cigarette Company episode. It's taking the side of the extremely unpopular lifestyle choice and giving them a voice and painting the picture that smoking is not morally wrong and that those who think it is should reexamine their point of view, that anti-smoking groups aren't the ethically correct people. Hell I don't know and I don't ever want to smoke but I found this to be very valid. A very underrated episode.

The one episode of MASH that makes it all the more harder for me to pass on MASH is the episode where it starts in 1951 and they examine a running bet on baseball and how the year unfolds with each plot evolving with each scene in marked periods at a time. VERY well written (well, for a US comedy anyway).

And on a final note anybody denegrading South Park and it's voters by claiming youth over quality is just plain ignorant.

Both are very unique and VERY contrasting humour styles. Mash being far more poetic, witty and was a revolution of its era with Alan Alda being af marvel in his performance to this day. South Park is more blunt, take on the world and not afraid to argue any point...most oftenly by finding the middle ground of reason or the more controversial point through finding the extremes of both sides of the issue.

It's hard for me to be honest because I grew up watching and loving both of these shows. I'll go with South Park for only one reason: The Cigarette Company episode. It's taking the side of the extremely unpopular lifestyle choice and giving them a voice and painting the picture that smoking is not morally wrong and that those who think it is should reexamine their point of view, that anti-smoking groups aren't the ethically correct people. Hell I don't know and I don't ever want to smoke but I found this to be very valid. A very underrated episode.

The one episode of MASH that makes it all the more harder for me to pass on MASH is the episode where it starts in 1951 and they examine a running bet on baseball and how the year unfolds with each plot evolving with each scene in marked periods at a time. VERY well written (well, for a US comedy anyway).

And on a final note anybody denegrading South Park and it's voters by claiming youth over quality is just plain ignorant.

Read This People. And Learn.

I'm not sure what amazes me more - your initial argument or that you had two others agree with you.

To summarise: you voted South Park because in a particular episode it embraced an unpopular, pro-smoking argument. If there was a sitcom celebrating Nazis or pedophilia, would you be even more impressed? How on earth can this be a criterion for judging a sitcom (especially since you somehow found it valid to pick out one episode)?

In no way is South Park a bad show. I watch it often. It's a ballsy, blunt and quite funny show...albeit with no character development, terribly obvious plots and an over-reliance on toilet humour.

M*A*S*H on the other hand, is one of the best-written, best-acted sitcoms ever made. And it's the only one still in the race that also doubled as a quality drama.

As for the youth argument - If you've watched both extensively and find South Park funnier and more interesting then vote for it. That's the point. But don't tell me that there aren't a bunch of people voting for SP atm because they've only seen a handful of MASH episodes. Cheers is getting trounced by Futurama for that same reason. Shows that weren't made in the last 15 years simply don't stand a chance.

In no way is South Park a bad show. I watch it often. It's a ballsy, blunt and quite funny show...albeit with no character development, terribly obvious plots and an over-reliance on toilet humour.

lol, look at an episode from s1 and s10 and see how different Cartman is.

Initially Cartman was there for a cheap fart joke-esque laugh and to be a decidedly supporting character, acting like a brat. Now he's the lead character and instead he's become, well, a sociopath. And it rocks.

However, it would be highly wrong to say Cartman's change wasn't developed. If you've seen all the episodes you'll know that he's a smarter character these days whereas initially he was pretty dumb. From s4 through to s7 you'll see him changing from what he was to what he is now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Initially Cartman was there for a cheap fart joke-esque laugh and to be a decidedly supporting character, acting like a brat. Now he's the lead character and instead he's become, well, a sociopath. And it rocks.

However, it would be highly wrong to say Cartman's change wasn't developed. If you've seen all the episodes you'll know that he's a smarter character these days whereas initially he was pretty dumb. From s4 through to s7 you'll see him changing from what he was to what he is now.

Fair enough - but what you're talking about isn't really character development, it's the writers giving Cartman a more prominent part and changing his role in the show. I don't need to watch s1 to understand Cartman's character in s10 for example. His character hasn't developed, it's just changed.

Whereas with something like MASH, every episode informs the next to some extent. Ditto for shows like Cheers, etc...
Jumping in half-way through the 5th season in shows like this doesn't really give you the full picture - whereas there's no such problem with SP.

Again, not meaning to be slagging of SP, I like it. Just don't think it's in the same league is all.

But that's the same for any animated show. None of them do that although South Park did dabble with it to an extent a few years ago with the continuous storyline of Kenny's actual death and replacing him with Butters and Tweak, and Cartman's quest for $10m.

This sucks because both are better than some other shows. MASH will go out when MWC or Bean will go through, both inferior shows to MASH. I love MASH, it's funny but sad at the same time. South park is different, as a comedy sitcom it's better. As a show, hard to say IMO MASH. One of my favorite scenes is up there when Winchester smashes his record.

On Fox I have seen a few of the older episodes lately and there is a massive difference. I have always been a fan but you really notice it when you watch the old ones these days. Cartman is a very good example, he is awesome now, even more awesome than the earlier stuff.. and just have a look at Randy who has now developed into my favourite character.

Remove this Banner Ad

Greatest Ever Sitcom Round 4 - M*A*S*H vs Southpark

Remove this Banner Ad

Back