Greatest upsets of all time

Remove this Banner Ad

To be fair - the Vics had played Jason Dunstall at Full-Forward in their 1989 State of Origin teams, so the shenanigans weren't limited to NSW. Dunstall's about as Victorian as Michael Jordan.

In the 1986 SOO between WA and VIC (aka Greatest Game Ever), the Vics had Brian Taylor (from Mandurah, WA) at Full Forward and they were captained by Terry Daniher (from NSW). WA even got in on the act, giving a game to the great Maurice Rioli (from the NT) and Geoff Miles (a Victorian playing for Claremont in the WAFL). Colin Waterson was also in the side, but I can't remember if he was a Victorian or a Sandgroper.
I didn't mind these selection shenanigans in the old SOO games. It made them like an All-Star game with all the champions included from NT, Qld, NSW, ACT and Tassie. I don't think it detracted from the full-on state rivalry. Maurice Rioli may have been from the Northern Territory, but to us Vics he was South Fremantle's aboriginal wizard and an honorary Sandgroper.

The Victoria B vs Tasmania games were secondary to the big matches played against WA or SA on the same weekend, so as a Hawk fan, I was stoked when Tasmanian Darrin Pritchard was selected on the wing for Victoria in the main game. Same deal, he became an honorary Victorian.

It was all simply a matter of which major comp you played your first game of senior football: VFL, SANFL or WAFL

Round 2 Port Adelaide vs Adelaide 2014

original

To be blunt, this one just illustrates how blind the bookies can be at times...it was a listless Carlton who limped towards season's end that year...a true upset leaves you asking "htf did that happen", which this game didn't...didn't tip it of course, who would have, but at the end you were left nodding at the obvious...

Bookies aren't blind. they don't claim to be able to read the future. the job of the bookies is to anticipate what the punters want to bet on and adjust odds accordingly. ie If carlton were 1.02 favourite, it's because the gambling public was 100% convinced that carlton would destroy the gold coast. the bookies are just covering their spread.

This. Add Carey, Brett Allison, Bill Brownless and the four Daniher brothers and they were a quality side taking on the Victorian thirds.

Hardly an upset.

There was a bloke called John Longmire who was on fire that year and kicked a bag that night. I'm pretty sure Gerard
Healy played for NSW instead of Victoria that night too.

If you want to talk about State game upsets, surely ACT rolling the Vics in 1980 would head the list. Sure, it was one of three Vic sides that went around that weekend, but the game wasn't subject to SOO rules, so they had a pretty decent side in.

Think most people would call getting booted from finals the work of the 'AFL' not 'ASADA'. Comprehension much?

Besides, would have just been making up the numbers in the finals last year - like Port.

That's true, AFL kicking Essendon out of the finals had nothing to do with ASADA.

And I'll take an elimination final win over the disgrace of being banned from finals any day.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Your club is a disgrace, regardless of the outcome of the ASADA findings, joking/being smug about it doesn't change that.

Yes ... Essendon is a disgrace.

Injecting a substance that isn't even proven to be;

a) Detrimental to one's longterm health
b) Performance enhancing

is so much worse than employing criminals, thugs and gang-related figures.

Richmond is filth.

Essendon vs ASADA - 2013/2014

Everyone thought we'd get infractions. We didn't/won't.

Incredible game. Would watch again.

Most people in WA stopped caring and assumed they wont get any last year, its a Vic story thing that we have to put up with in snippets. We got Naitanui and Fyfe to care about

St Kilda vs Brisbane Lions in 2003 was a pretty huge upset. Brisbane in the midst of the 3 peat and the Saints having won the wooden spoon in 2000 and second last finishes in 01 and 02.
I remember that game! Nobody gave us a chance in hell and we pulled it off despite not scoring a goal in the last quarter!

Not sure if its been mentioned but one of my favourite upsets was,

St Kilda v Brisbane - Telstra Dome, Round 6 2004

Brisbane won last 3 premierships, Troy Schwarze kicked 65m goal at 32min mark, just before the siren! Great feeling!
Wasn't really considered as upset as such. St Kilda was in the middle of a (then) record-breaking 10 game winning streak.

I remember it being billed as the old stager vs the fresh faced upstart, and we were actually given a good chance of knocking them off.

Haven't read it all so apologies if this has been posted.
1970 at the MCG, Premiers Richmond v easybeats Fitzroy in front of the Queen.
Richmond 14.12.96 Fitzroy 16.20.116

The bigget upset has to be the Hawks to Freo in 2001. There were no mitigating circumstances, no signs that Freo was about to break through, it was no-hopers v the finals bound...
Actually, history, if you look back as far as I am willing to, suggests that Hawthorn were suffering a bad reaction from their thrilling win over Carlton the previous weekend and this led to a huge let-down, along with a number of injuries that left Hawthorn with fewer that eighteen fit men by match’s end.

In the eighteenth round of 1975, Hawthorn were on 16–1 and had just won a thriller in unusually hot conditions against second-placed Carlton, which left the Hawks two games clear on top. Against Fitzroy, who were tenth with five wins and twelve losses, and were coming off a bad fade-out at Moorabbin, the Hawks were never in the game, and apart from an easy win over Geelong never recaptured their early-season form, losing four of their last five matches and being thrashed by a much faster North Melbourne in the Grand Final. I also like to compare the case in the 1922 County Cricket Championship of Somerset (a mid-table club) losing to a Glamorgan team that had lost fifteen games out of sixteen – almost all by huge margins – the game after Somerset recorded a thrilling win over powerful Middlesex.
The 1989 pilots strike caused havoc. The Hawks arrived at GC airport an hour before the Carrara match started. I recall thinking at the time that we hadn't quite been playing as well lately, and it ended up being a tough day at the office...Brisbane were never great, but by 1989 they were a reasonably experienced if somewhat untalented unit...they made us pay for the lack of preparation...the pilots incidentally stopped me from attending back to back flags as my first two games of live VFL footy...had to wait until North Hobart in 1991 and a 157 point win over Fitzroy to rack up live game number 2...!
Hawthorn’s loss was certainly a surprise, though under Feltham the Bears were playing better than at any stage of their first seven or eight seasons, convincingly defeating North Melbourne, Fitzroy and Carlton.

One game that’s just a little too far back for people today to recall, but is certainly one of the greatest upsets in League history was St. Kilda against Footscray in the last round of 1985. The Saints had won just two games for the entire season and had a percentage of only 63.2 – lower even than Melbourne in 1981 – going into the match, whilst Footscray had won eleven of their past twelve matches and were coming off a comfortable win over Collingwood at Victoria Park. Yet, the Bulldogs, kicking with a strong wind, were unable to break clear of the Saints in the first quarter, leading only 3-8 (26) to 1-3 (9), and kicking into the wind in the second quarter the Bulldogs against struggled to convert, leading 5-11 (41) to 5-3 (33) at half-time. The third quarter, however, saw St. Kilda defend very well according to The Age into the breeze, so that despite not goalling for the quarter the Saints were only behind 5-7 (37) to 7-16 (58) at three-quarter time with a strong wind to finish with, and in the final quarter St. Kilda added 7.5 (47) to 1-2 (8) for a shock win by three goals. St. Kilda 12-12 (84) [Goals: Lockett 4, Odgers 3, Manning, Grant, Mace, Cronan, Buckey] defeated Footscray 8-18 (66) [Goals: Hardie 3, Beasley, Seweel, Edmond, Steven MacPherson, Buhagiar].

I wonder if there is anyone in 2014 who remembers this game at all well – I have no recollections yet for twenty-five years it has fascinated me a great deal.

Carlton beating Westcoast in 1991 with Minton-Connell goaling from the boundary line. Eagles had won 13 straight, and was only a couple of games after the Blues had only kicked 1 goal against the Dogs

My best footy memory as a kid

Remove this Banner Ad

Greatest upsets of all time

Remove this Banner Ad

Back