duckboy

Club Legend
Oct 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory
Apparently said Tiger fans shouldn't get too carried away and that finals was unlikely next year. Did anyone hear it?

I'm glad I didnt hear it.

I'm sure I would have been more annoyed, then I am reading your comment, with him saying and expanding on what you said.

Odd thing to say. If we have a better run of injuries and we continue the path of improvement that TW has insisted we maintain then surely 12+ wins is the expectation which should get us pretty close? Certainly wouldn't be underpromising, but also I don't think I've noticed supprters getting ahead of themselves and believing we are sure things for top 4 or anything.

Punt_Road_Roar said:
So he is basically saying we are going to go backwards next year?

Well done Greg :thumbsdown:

Sometimes you have to go backwards to go forwards. I'd say we are gearing up to give our younger KPP more resposibility ( Hughes, Shulz, Pattison......)

Punt_Road_Roar said:
So he is basically saying we are going to go backwards next year?

Well done Greg :thumbsdown:

naaa, he is basically saying JS like is the norm when he says things on SEN.
Lets see, so GM said dont get carried away and that finals was unlikely next year. Correct? I would be tipping that this is an insurance policy, just in case, so if we do make it, wow, i would think we wouldnt be remembering the day he said what he said, and if we dont, then he will be saying to us, remember what i suggested way back in October last year? so we told you so didnt we? its was planned for, see, we know what we are doing.
Quite a few tend to forget that these dudes are on a good whack of cash, and the one underlying thing is that they keep that cash flow going for as long as they can.
If its not that, then it must be the case where GM woke up one day and thought, i really want to make the tiger supporters happy again so i am going on this crusade.
Naaaa, my tip, the pres gave him a call and asked how much do you want GM? ;)

For a keen bunch of Tiger (and sports) devotees, it seems that no-one actually heard Greg Miller say anything, so maybe it didn't happen or has been taken out of context. Someone confirm it or everyone settle down.

nut said:
Maybe a less mobile forward deep in the goal square.

Sit him in the goal square with instructions not to move more than 20 metres?

While not a bad suggestion it doesn't solve the problem. If Hughes or Schulz is to play FF, Richo is still deep foward and he cant help but dominate in his immediate area, meaning Schulz/Hughes wont get the ideal run.

Also, one of Richo's main weapons is his ability to run, and to run all day. Take this away and we might see his effectiveness decrease.

He's still always going to take the oppositions best big backmen so he's a good decoy for any apprentices we may have.

I thought the Schulz/Richo combo was beginning to work late in the season, perhaps they were starting to get an idea how each other works and how to work better with each other.

I guess there's no reason we cant have both Schulz and Richo as 2 big targets down foward, with say Hughes coming in with a licence to roam from 35m to the wing... A Tarrant kinda role:eek:

this topic is the perfect example of how dreary this time of the year is hehehe hahahaha hohohohoho zzzzzzzzzzZz..... ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Glad Miller said it.
Have a listen to the vast majority of SEN talkback callers and they are 90% nuff nuffs. People with below average IQs.
Think about the nuff nuff Tiger fan in the street automatically thinking that just because we won 10 games in 2005 and then 11 in 2006, that 2007 suddenly becomes a fait accompli to be 12 or more.
Miller was just hosing down the expectations of the retarted majority who can't put two and two together and come up with the correct answer.

The Dice Man said:
Also, one of Richo's main weapons is his ability to run, and to run all day. Take this away and we might see his effectiveness decrease.

Agree with your whole post. But the teams future improvement doesn't involve around the effectiveness of Richo anymore.
Richo's main value is that he will take the best defender 9 out of 10 times, allowing the youngsters to have less preesure on them.
I think a forward line with Pattison, Hughes and Richo would be a good start.

nut said:
Agree with your whole post. But the teams future improvement doesn't involve around the effectiveness of Richo anymore.
Richo's main value is that he will take the best defender 9 out of 10 times, allowing the youngsters to have less preesure on them.
I think a forward line with Pattison, Hughes and Richo would be a good start.

Agree too. We've got promising young KPPs but their education may come at the cost of Richo's longetivity. Richo deserves to be there, as do the young-uns who need to develop.

Im sure Hughes, Schulz and Patto could learn alot from Richo.

tugga said:
Glad Miller said it.
Have a listen to the vast majority of SEN talkback callers and they are 90% nuff nuffs. People with below average IQs.
Think about the nuff nuff Tiger fan in the street automatically thinking that just because we won 10 games in 2005 and then 11 in 2006, that 2007 suddenly becomes a fait accompli to be 12 or more.
Miller was just hosing down the expectations of the retarted majority who can't put two and two together and come up with the correct answer.

Spot on. We've lost another big chunk of experience that will be replaced by very young kids which means there's a big risk we'll go backwards. Much better to set expectations based on facts like that rather than building up everyone's hopes too much and then having to deal with the backlash when we don't achieve them.

Managing supporter expectations is just the way of decreasing pressure on himself. All on par with sorry I was late boss traffic was horrendous and the cheque is in the mail. A get out of jail free card to use if things dont go to plan.

Nothing more than a demonstration of a lack of confidence. Miller has been doing it since the day he arrived. Downplaying our chances, buying himself more time.

He's a charlatan, and look at how many clowns think he's doing the right thing. All about himself, not for the good of the club.

Miller needs more pressure, not less. I want to hear him say if it bleeds, we can kill it. If he's not going to show belief in the club and the players, why should they try harder? Why should they bother even aiming for finals next year?

jezza said:
Spot on. We've lost another big chunk of experience that will be replaced by very young kids which means there's a big risk we'll go backwards. Much better to set expectations based on facts like that rather than building up everyone's hopes too much and then having to deal with the backlash when we don't achieve them.
I wouldn't class Kellaway, Chaffey and Stafford as losing a big chunk of experience in relation to our 2006 performances, they didnt contribute that much.
After all of Wallets' spin has been about an increase in key performance indicators and the graph heading upwards, it would only be normal most supporters would translate this into expecting more wins. Of course 13 wins and a better percentage would not have seen us play finals this year. Great to see you lost that disturbing avatar Jezza.

Stafford played 15 games and Kellaway 13 so there are spots to fill, but it's as much about the fact we didn't have others stepping up to force these guys out, and now we're going in to 2007 hoping that more of the young guys on our list can make that step like a few did last year. Hopefully it will go well, but it's not without risk.

It was just a man and his tomato.

1980 said:
Managing supporter expectations is just the way of decreasing pressure on himself. All on par with sorry I was late boss traffic was horrendous and the cheque is in the mail. A get out of jail free card to use if things dont go to plan.

Nothing more than a demonstration of a lack of confidence. Miller has been doing it since the day he arrived. Downplaying our chances, buying himself more time.

He's a charlatan, and look at how many clowns think he's doing the right thing. All about himself, not for the good of the club.

Miller needs more pressure, not less. I want to hear him say if it bleeds, we can kill it. If he's not going to show belief in the club and the players, why should they try harder? Why should they bother even aiming for finals next year?

Spot on with those Bolded quotes 1980.

It concerns me that he would show this card so soon. Were not stupid we all know our backline is suspect. I'm not expecting the guy to come out and say its the 8 or bust, but geez I hate seeing these ready made excuses before the season has even started. :thumbsdown:

Punt_Road_Roar said:
Spot on with those Bolded quotes 1980.

It concerns me that he would show this card so soon. Were not stupid we all know our backline is suspect. I'm not expecting the guy to come out and say its the 8 or bust, but geez I hate seeing these ready made excuses before the season has even started. :thumbsdown:

Perhaps Miller is just being the counterweight, opposing and negating the weight placed on our youngsters with this new marketing campaign?

The Dice Man said:
Perhaps Miller is just being the counterweight, opposing and negating the weight placed on our youngsters with this new marketing campaign?

That would be more credible if it came from Wallace. Wallace, unlike Miller, will coach again after the RFC. Miller however, has no job waiting at any other AFL club. We took him from the Hammerheads and that's back to where he'd go.

Miller is just looking after Miller. He said when he first arrived it would take 5 years for him to fix the place. This year he's asking for another 5.

was talking to a friend of mine earlier today.He is a richmond supporter and also heard that miller was dismissing the tigers next year.But it is all a ploy.he doesn't want to build up everone's hopes then nothing happens.Miller did say that we won't do anything next year but we will be top 4 in 2008.Now that sounds strange so my mate and I have concluded that Miller (reading between the lines) does believe the tigers will have a good season next year just make the eight play off in a final and then prepare for a top 4 assault in 2008.

Remove this Banner Ad

Greg Miller on SEN this morning

Remove this Banner Ad

Back