Griffin dropped

Remove this Banner Ad

Well it seems everyone is fit to go, and Richie misses out. Sorry I'm sooking, but if you have 30+ touches and kick 7 goals in a SANFL game (after being BOG the previous week) and can't get a promotion, it's just crap.

Well it seems everyone is fit to go, and Richie misses out. Sorry I'm sooking, but if you have 30+ touches and kick 7 goals in a SANFL game (after being BOG the previous week) and can't get a promotion, it's just crap.

nah, relax.

all richie has done has shown that he's fit and firing, his talent combined with his development is now at the point where he is probably "above" the SANFL.

that's freaking marvellous. his time is coming. soon.

Porplysia 5 marks 7 kicks no score no tackles 2 frees against,
Bock 6 marks 11 kicks Goals 2.2,
McGregor 5 marks 1 free so 6 marks 10 kicks goals 2.1 plenty of unsighted in the backs as well as contesting and 1 effective tackle,
Scott Welsh 3 marks 6 kicks 1 point and one out on the full and 5 effective tackles.

Porplysia is in terrible form.
The 'dream team culture' lives on. :rolleyes: Porplyzia played well last week. He is a quality footballer, can take a contested mark and was able to perform well as a forward last week against top quality opposition in a game where we struggled. That's priceless. The dream team calculator won't tell you that though, that's where you need to rely on your actual football knowledge. Don't be scared to go with what you know rather than with what you can quantify with statistics.

A wake up call for Mattner surely. Our team is worse for having him out but no one (even me) can deny that Massie has been in better form since coming back in. The selectors have made the right call. Players that can positively influence the outcome of the game as Mattner can do are rare. Mattner is twice the player Massie is in this regard. The sooner he pulls his finger out the better. Pity Sturt has the bye.

Well done to Maric. He was S.T. ruggling a few weeks ago coming off injury but his last couple of week have been good. Hope he goes well with Huddo - they are up against two pretty decent, big-bodied and fast improving ruckmen.

nah, relax.

all richie has done has shown that he's fit and firing, his talent combined with his development is now at the point where he is probably "above" the SANFL.

that's freaking marvellous. his time is coming. soon.
The message is you need to play more than 1 good game to force your way in to the side. However, if Douglas strings a few dominant games like this together, then we should make room for him in the AFC line-up.

Hate to be particular but he only had 26 touches :p

No, 30. Ecky > Advertiser :thumbsu:

Take your point but what Dougie needs to do is take this attention and run with it. That was only one game after all; he needs to come up with excellent performances every week from here so the selection panel simply cannot ignore him.

He played a good game against West, then was BOG v Port and then played the blinder. So it wasn't just one game.

I skimmed through the posts on this topic .
Did anyone see Maric play last Saturday at Alberton .I hope he doesn't have to have a shot for Goal again near the square like he did against WWT.
fingers crossed he lifts his game to AFL level.

Don't some of you watch the game.

Griff won more than his fair share of hit outs in the first half in which we won the clearances by plenty.

But he couldn't keep up with or read or follow instructions regarding Cox.

Whether it's his inexperience, his body is feeling the pressure or just forgot to follow him up, it's to be expected.

But he didn't have a bad game as you put it.

He got beaten in the ruck and around the ground. Cox carved up around the ground, and Griffin couldn't keep up. But thats because he was playing against the best ruckman in the competition.

The 'dream team culture' lives on. :rolleyes: Porplyzia played well last week. He is a quality footballer, can take a contested mark and was able to perform well as a forward last week against top quality opposition in a game where we struggled. That's priceless. The dream team calculator won't tell you that though, that's where you need to rely on your actual football knowledge. Don't be scared to go with what you know rather than with what you can quantify with statistics.

nice try Carl, but that's not really true.

plenty of people see things that statistically we can prove didn't happen.

stats are not everything, they don't always account for quality - but they absolutely do reflect the quantitative just fine. which can be used as a qualitative measure when compared against controlled baselines.

if you think something, that statistics are painfully at odds with, chances are you're wrong.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

nice try Carl, but that's not really true.

plenty of people see things that statistically we can prove didn't happen.

stats are not everything, they don't always account for quality - but they absolutely do reflect the quantitative just fine. which can be used as a qualitative measure when compared against controlled baselines.
Football is an exceptionally difficult game to quantify and to accurately measure performance. Every year we are coming up with more and more statistics to try and make them more relavent. It used to be just kicks, marks and handballs but now there are a myriad of other measures available and every football coach and football expert would view them differently.

The raw numbers in these statistics might be beyond interpretation (although I'd question how contested vs uncontested possessions are measured, but that's another topic) but the use and the weight given to them is very much subjective.

How would you rate Jarrad Waite's game against Fremantle last week or Kane Cornes' season thus far just out of interest? I'm not saying that statistics, possessions and raw data should be given no weight - rather that they are given too much weight at times.

if you think something, that statistics are painfully at odds with, chances are you're wrong.
Der.

This is just to back up how I saw him playing, quit behaving a like jackass.
He was ineffective, whether you like a player doesn't mean he is performing well.
He played well about a month and a bit ago since then he has been very poor and the worst performed in the side moving slowly and kicking poorly of course though he had company that are held to a higher standard.
He's probably had the injury he came off tonight messing with him.

The raw numbers in these statistics might be beyond interpretation (although I'd question how contested vs uncontested possessions are measured, but that's another topic) but the use and the weight given to them is very much subjective.

personally I agree with you. some of the newer statistics are hard to use if you do not even understand what they are meant to represent. and there is little effort made to explain what they are, so...

contested versus uncontested, as you say, is a very nebulous area.

however, the point about proportionate representation against controlled baselines is still relevant. on that basis, it can be argued that it does not matter what the precise definitions are, as long as they are consistently applied. the numbers are not therefore useful, but the relative rankings are. whatever they measure, applied against the field, they should still reflect the hierarchy fairly accurately.

however, the point about proportionate representation against controlled baselines is still relevant. on that basis, it can be argued that it does not matter what the precise definitions are, as long as they are consistently applied. the numbers are not therefore useful, but the relative rankings are. whatever they measure, applied against the field, they should still reflect the hierarchy fairly accurately.
Most AFL coaches are furiously reading statistical printouts on their way down from the coaches box to speak to the players. I would love to know which stats Neil Craig peruses, which he discards and which ones he highlights during the breaks. I assume there is a fair amount of physiological information (ie from heart rate monitors) as well as all the on field information.

Contested possessions, volume of inside fifties and efficiency are three measurable statistics that Neil often refers to in his post match press conferences but he also talks about the need to take risks and to not always look for the perfect play. These are much harder (impossible?) to measure and there will always be a place for gut feel, instinct, impression and football nous. I doubt we will ever devise a system of statistical analysis that completely and accurately measures all the elements that make up team and individual performance in AFL. And that's a good thing.

Edit: just on your point, I can only ever remember NC mentioning 'team' statistics rather than individual ones (possessions, goals) in his press conferences and you're right these can be used to highlight trends and to compare against the opposition regardless of how they are collected, providing the same person is collecting them!

This is just to back up how I saw him playing, quit behaving a like jackass.
Sorry, poor post on my part. Just sick of reading (IMO unjustified) criticisms of Crows players. Last week it was Jason Torney, this week Porplyzia.
He was ineffective, whether you like a player doesn't mean he is performing well.
Disagree here and stunned that anyone could view his performance against WCE in that way.

He was very good for Centrals today.

He probably won't get a game for the Crows for the rest of the year barring injury, so all he needs to do is put in performances like today for the rest of the season, and he'll be very highly regarded.

Probably wouldn't have played at all this year if it wasn't for injuries anyway

He was very good for Centrals today.

He probably won't get a game for the Crows for the rest of the year barring injury, so all he needs to do is put in performances like today for the rest of the season, and he'll be very highly regarded.

He will want to play AFL (and so he should) but if he doesn’t play another game with the Crows this season may not be a bad thing. He needs to keep working hard on improving his fitness and rucking technique with the doggies and potentially finish the year with a premiership.

Have a big finals series with the doggies and come back for pre season with a truck load of enthusiasm for next year.

He was very good, but was made to look better by our terrible decision making. I lost count of how many times we just bombed away, while he stood by himself in the hole and took uncontested marks. He played the role well, but jee wiz I'd like to know WTF we were doing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Griffin dropped

Remove this Banner Ad

Back