50 Max Gawn MELB
49 Patrick Cripps CARL
48 Errol Gulden SYD
46 Sam Walsh CARL
45 Noah Anderson GCFC
45 Jordan Dawson ADEL
45 Matt Rowell GCFC
Damn …
Imagine if we had drafted Caleb Serong and kept Jordan Dawson.

I'm wondering whether our Game Day thread was as calm and relaxed as the live audience on Sunday?

Seems to me that the confidence and composure our boys are showing on a weekly basis has spread into the supporters. Without doubt it is helped by the fact that dropping the game made no difference to our standing atop the league, but I've been to games where we have been three goals up and you can feel the tension... not last week even at 6 goals down.

When Joelly kicked the first, it was like "Okay here we go".... Hayward walks one thru that was payback for some crap umpiring in Q1. Chaddy doing Chaddy things gets the adrenaline going and then Heeney goes BANG, BANG, off goes the roof of the stadium, Cat's fans resign to the inevitable, and the all-of-Sydney Swans love in kicks into full gear.

I had hoped for a 10-12 goal thumping to completely demoralise them, but to allow them to get their hopes up and then contemptuously dismiss them was equally satisfying.

Thought the cues went in the rack when JJ put us 4 goals up 4mins into the fourth. That cool heads responded, not just competently but emphatically, when the Cats sniffed a comeback late on, a further sign of how this team has developed so completely.

In seasons past it would not have surprised to drop any of the following: Opening round, the reigning premiers, a post-bye vs the Weagles in Woop Woop, the hyped-up Blues and a derby, a dangerous pre-bye, and a testing post-bye. There will be another coat of polish added after giving up a 6 goal start on Sunday.

Equally satisfying for me was Chris Scott's delusional take on the game and his insistence that they are strongly positioned for the run home. Will relish watching him starve himself while servings of humble pie are on offer.

I'm wondering whether our Game Day thread was as calm and relaxed as the live audience on Sunday?

Seems to me that the confidence and composure our boys are showing on a weekly basis has spread into the supporters. Without doubt it is helped by the fact that dropping the game made no difference to our standing atop the league, but I've been to games where we have been three goals up and you can feel the tension... not last week even at 6 goals down.

When Joelly kicked the first, it was like "Okay here we go".... Hayward walks one thru that was payback for some crap umpiring in Q1. Chaddy doing Chaddy things gets the adrenaline going and then Heeney goes BANG, BANG, off goes the roof of the stadium, Cat's fans resign to the inevitable, and the all-of-Sydney Swans love in kicks into full gear.

I had hoped for a 10-12 goal thumping to completely demoralise them, but to allow them to get their hopes up and then contemptuously dismiss them was equally satisfying.

Thought the cues went in the rack when JJ put us 4 goals up 4mins into the fourth. That cool heads responded, not just competently but emphatically, when the Cats sniffed a comeback late on, a further sign of how this team has developed so completely.

In seasons past it would not have surprised to drop any of the following: Opening round, the reigning premiers, a post-bye vs the Weagles in Woop Woop, the hyped-up Blues and a derby, a dangerous pre-bye, and a testing post-bye. There will be another coat of polish added after giving up a 6 goal start on Sunday.

Equally satisfying for me was Chris Scott's delusional take on the game and his insistence that they are strongly positioned for the run home. Will relish watching him starve himself while servings of humble pie are on offer.

love your wrap-up ... and yes, we switched off a bit after that jordon goal, and while i never thought geelong were a chance, they did have a crack and we stood up to them ... but it was very satisfying that we didn't just hold on and play out time, we switched back on those last five minutes or so, went back on the attack and blew them away
and i'm hoping both scott brothers slide all the way out of finals

Very good

love your wrap-up ... and yes, we switched off a bit after that jordon goal, and while i never thought geelong were a chance, they did have a crack and we stood up to them ... but it was very satisfying that we didn't just hold on and play out time, we switched back on those last five minutes or so, went back on the attack and blew them away
and i'm hoping both scott brothers slide all the way out of finals
Not against anything , but did we switch off when Grundy had a spell ? remember they had 3 rucks plus Hawkins who might have gone over the top

i was talking generally, not specifically about sunday, although using the grundy thing as an example ... he has always been reluctant to offer any praise or credit to teams that beat his
You are definitely right about Stanley. Scott was a bit myopic in his disagreement on Stanley's performance against Grundy.

Gameday thread was good to collect 6 packs 😂

Cool. Name and shame :)

My good mate the TheGoatBaron bet me :p but we squared it up , think he was reverse jinxing up.

In all seriousness even early I thought Geelong were playing a level they couldn't maintain and general play was pretty even. It was just those bloody turnovers

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My good mate the TheGoatBaron bet me :p but we squared it up , think he was reverse jinxing up.

In all seriousness even early I thought Geelong were playing a level they couldn't maintain and general play was pretty even. It was just those bloody turnovers
To be fair, I was suffering from PTSD in the first quarter after the 2022 AFL Grand Final 🤣

I am becoming a little concerned with our first quarters. We haven't won one since the Freo game in round 9. As good as it is to have the capability to come back the way we have against bot Carlton and Geelong, I wouldn't want to rely upon needing to do so in a big final.
With the side performing as well as it is, who is going to make way for Mills and Parker? Mills is an automatic inclusion and I still feel Parker can add something. The fact that we have had so few injuries will make selection so so difficult and whoever has to make way for these two can consider themselves extremely unlucky. Then again, I'd rather have too many options than not enough.

I am a fan of Florent. I see him as a key part of our defence, contesting the ground ball and rebounding with run out of defence. His role is inherently risky, as are the roles of other defenders. We risk for gain when we surge quickly out of defence. The safety net is to be able to get numbers back in place quickly as a way of limiting the fallout if things don't come off.

I can see you're a debutant, so I apologise if it seems I'm grilling you. You've laid out your stall and put forward your reasons. That's more than some do.

To play with flair is to play with risk. Inevitably Florent's going to make some mistakes. How many mistakes do you consider too many? Could you give some examples of what you consider a mistake?

I'm curious because what can look like a mistake might just be a risky play, one that he's licensed to take on that doesn't always come off. A similar example would be if Logan opted to take a set shot from 52m and it just clipped the post. Is that a mistake on his part or does it just come with the role? He's licensed to take the long set shot from outside 50 but he can't expect 100% conversion at that range.

In everything in life, risk and reward move in tandem. More risk more reward. Less risk less reward. No risk, no reward. We play fast attacking footy for maximum reward, relying on superb skills and gut running to handle the high level of risk.
He makes rookie errors even though he’s got a few years experience. I can recall 2 pretty bad mistakes in the second half. Handballing it Lloyd who when he had no pressure on him, they both ballsed up a certain inside 50. Then the kick out of defence over the head of a swans teammate trying to get him to run onto it when there’s a Cat 10m ahead of the teammate. Result a Cats mark and goal. Do you see him breaking the lines from the back much? Does he do what Mcinerniery or Blakey do? And when he does the subsequent kick its 50:50 to our advantage. He doesn’t lack effort or toughness though.
Defensively his pace to catch opposition ball carriers but he’s like a dog to a ball. Ball carrier can just show him the ball then step away and lose him when he’s chasing.

Last edited:
I am becoming a little concerned with our first quarters. We haven't won one since the Freo game in round 9. As good as it is to have the capability to come back the way we have against bot Carlton and Geelong, I wouldn't want to rely upon needing to do so in a big final.
With the side performing as well as it is, who is going to make way for Mills and Parker? Mills is an automatic inclusion and I still feel Parker can add something. The fact that we have had so few injuries will make selection so so difficult and whoever has to make way for these two can consider themselves extremely unlucky. Then again, I'd rather have too many options than not enough.

Trying to find how our quarters rank i imagine 3rd-4th quarters are through the roof lol.

Fully concur, there was no panic at the ground, and you’re right, once we got the first 2 it felt like “yep, we’re back in business here” 👍💪😎

Fantastic win and a great crowd too we are close to the hottest ticket in town as we play good footy.

Only thing I will say and please don't take this as a negative...

We can't keep giving sides 4+ goal starts eventually it will come back to bite us. I'll give them an out this week as it's after a bye and we were flat to start. However, next week against the Crows away we CANNOT give them a big lead. Us starting better is so important going forward.

Grundy should be the AA ruck.
AS good as Grundy has been, Max has been somewhat better.

He plays a crucial role, I guess his errors always look worse as he is deep defence , where as Gulden turns it over say half forward it doesn't sting as much.

Florent is having a rippa year
Gulden makes at least 5 winning plays per error. Can’t say the same for Florent.

As I mentioned before, we lost 50% of first quarters last year. By coincidence we've also lost 50% of first quarters this year. Yet our win/loss ratio has changed enormously. Our Q1 win/loss seems to have f_all corrolation with winnig or losing a game.

I suggests to me that teams who get a break on us in Q1 are putting in too much pressure to do so.
High pressure ratings demand hard running, chasing and tackling. When teams go out too hard in Q1, they can't sustain the pace over the duration of the game. It's like they're running a 10k pace for the first quarter of a marathon. They can't sustain it. A marathon is won by the runner who finds the highest pace they can sustain for the entire race. Accurate pacing is so important that multiple pacers are often used to help a runner reach a new PB or break a record. Roger Bannister used several such pacers to break the four-minute mile for the first time.

Footy is also an endurance sport. As a very fit team we can set a higher pace (sustain a higher level of pressure) for the better part of two hours than other teams can. That's a big part of how we win. Last year we didn't have the fitness. We'd try to beat teams with pressure then we'd fade late when we couldn't sustain it.

If we focus too much on winning first quarters we risk overdoing it. We should play at the best pace we can sustain, knowing we will haul any team in eventually.
Understand what you are saying and it makes perfect sense. However, if we are to lose the first quarter or even the first half of said quarter, I'd prefer it to be by 2 goals and not by 5-6.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back