Grown men wearing guernseys to games

Do you where a guernsey to AFL games?

• Yes

Votes: 55 69.6%
  • No

Votes: 24 30.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

It's actually very interesting. The whole stereotype of clubs ect.

Everyone knows the stereotype of Collingwood supporters.

I personally work at a bank and am in business attire 5 days a week, so when I'm going to the footy, I DGAF what others think and will unwind and enjoy my footy in whatever the hell I want to.

I'm 61yo and have wondered about this many times. Wore a Hawks jumper over a shirt to the 2012 GF. We lost. Never again!!

Love the idea of wearing a jumper but I now stick with brown shirt, Hawks scarf, hat and jacket now. Don't want to offend the footy gods by wearing my jumper!!

Just found this thread, we need to lighten up and have fun with this. Footy itself is a childish ball sport, but we need to unwind sometimes. I wear my Guernsey proudly all the time. We don't win win that much, but I still am proud of my colours.

I don't personally wear one, as I usually go to a bar after a match for a few extra frothies, but I'd never judge someone for wearing one no matter what age. Who cares what other people think. I'm sure this question only gets asked here in Australia.
The US comedian Chris D'Elia actually has a bit about this. He says something like if you're a grown man and you wear another man's name on your back (i.e. a jersey), you have to let that guy **** you.

I'd be more concerned about the look of it on the ladies...
View attachment 177436

april_2_37_.jpg

I used to wear one when I was younger, but it never felt right for me, they are different to the type of jerseys sold for other sports around the world, I think they should design supporter versions which are more suited for casual wear.

As to the people who judge others based on what they choose to wear at a game of football, grow up. You're going to a venue to watch adults run around chasing pig skin full of air, you are not as high brow as you think you are.

I am nearly 50 and still wear a guernsey to the game. Ok, so I wear it over a T-Shirt I bought two days after our name and colours were announced - and when it gets cold, put my hoodie over the top of it, but I wear it nonetheless

Games are the only time I get to wear guernsey - wear my hat and polo lots of other places and my beanie/scarf on the train to and from work in the middle of winter. But where/when else am I going to wear my guernsey if not on game day.

OP is an idiot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I too don't wear one but people like OP are hilarious.
Some complete Demons w***er with his head up his arse telling people how to dress lmfao

I welcome judgement from w***ers like you, OP.

By the sounds of it too, you dress like a dork

It's a bit sad that you care so much what other people might think of you. You know you want to wear one OP and when your hipster mates s****** at you for being a bit sad you can just roll your eyes and let them know you're only wearing it ironically.

I think so.... I see grown men wearing NFL/College football jerseys to work on casual Fridays here in the States in recognition of their team's upcoming game at the weekend, no one bats an eye or criticizes. I see it in public in a non football capacity too, even on non match days... no one cares.

Americans take it too far. It's embarrassing how often they wear football, ice hockey and basketball tops.

The best is when I see people wearing old 80's/90s jumpers, awesome :thumbsu:
The best I have seen was worn by a girl who would have been about 8. It was an old navy blue jacket with number 25 sewn on the back and all the old Carlton sew-on player badges. Guys like Doull, Harmes, Walls on it as well as other Blues badges. Her old man had kept it from when he was a kid and now she wears it with him to the footy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Grown men wearing guernseys to games

Back