Resource Guide to Simonds Stadium and Geelong (last updated 2012)

Remove this Banner Ad

Information is correct as of 2012 season

Getting to Simonds Stadium?
Simonds Stadium is easily accessible by train, car and foot. Located 75 kilometres south-west of Melbourne and only a kilometre from the Geelong city centre. Interstate travellers can fly Jetstar directly to Avalon airport which is approximately a 30 minute drive to Skilled Stadium.

Address
Simonds Stadium - Kardinia Park
Latrobe Terrace, Geelong

Train
Approximately 60 minutes from Southern Cross Station (formally Spencer Street Station), Melbourne.

There are two train Stations near Simonds Stadium - Geelong Railway Station and South Geelong Station. South Geelong Station is a short five minute walk and the Geelong Railway Station is a longer 20 to 30 minute along Latrobe Terrace to the stadium. If you are going straight to the football from the train, get off at South Geelong Station.

For more information on train times please visit the V-Line website.

Car
Approximately 60 minutes from Melbourne CBD, Geelong is 75 kilometres down the Princes Highway from Melbourne via the Westgate Bridge. Entering Geelong requires no turns from the highway and finding the stadium is made easy as the steel 'Cats Claws' steel members of the Wade Stand can be seen several kilometres away from the stadium.

Parking can be found all around Simonds Stadium. You can park in the neighbouring streets, if you are there early enough. Please note council restrictions and laws apply. If not, you can park inside Simonds Stadium, at South Geelong Station or at South Geelong Primary School . The train station and South Geelong Primary School are located in Yarra Street.

Here is a map of Simonds Stadium, Kardinia Park and surrounding streets:

Stadiummap_layout.jpg

Ticketing
Due to the stadium redevelopment of Simonds Stadium there will be very limited daily seating and general admission tickets available for season 2012.

All matches held for 2012 will be declared fully ticketed. We advise all members (who do not hold season seats) to pre book general admission entry (standing room only) or a daily seat (subject to availability) prior to the match to guarantee their entry on match-day.

Exclusive members
Members without season seats at Simonds Stadium may attempt to purchase daily reserved seating or general admission standing room tickets (subject to availability) via Ticketmaster the Monday two weeks prior to the match from 9am (EST). Tickets can be purchased online at Ticketmaster, phoning 1300 136 122 or at any Ticketmaster outlet.

Members with non-member guests
Members who wish to purchase seating or general admission standing room tickets for themselves and additional seating for non-members (maximum 2 guests per booking) have access to do so (subject to availability) via Ticketmaster the Tuesday two weeks prior to the match from 9am (EST). Tickets can be purchased online through Ticketmaster, phoning 1300 136 122 or at any Ticketmaster outlet.

General public (including opposition members)
Should there be daily seating or general admission standing room tickets remaining after the Members on-sale dates general public may purchase them (subject to availability)via Ticketmaster the Wednesday two weeks prior to the match from 9am (EST). Tickets can be purchased online through Ticketmaster, phoning Ticketmaster on 1300 136 122 or at any Ticketmaster outlet.

On-sale dates

Please find all on-sale dates here. Should the exclusive members' on-sale date fall on a Monday that is a Public Holiday the on-sale days will all move forward one full day.

Prices
Please find 2012 Simonds Stadium ticket prices here.

What time to get there?

In 2012 some Simonds Stadium games have curtain raisers. These games start at 10:00AM on a Saturday or 9:20AM on a Sunday which means the gates will open much earlier than usual.

There is a standing room and general admission seating available in the Ablett Terrace (City end) for those that are early. Most people tend to get there before the gates open to secure the seats, however depending on the game you can get there later and still stand/sit. It is best to ask the week of the game and we can help you.

To get into the general admission area, you must have the relevant membership or ticket. If not, you will either need to upgrade your ticket or purchase a new ticket.

Where do I sit?

42187s.gif

Generally most seats are taken by reserved seat holders. That being said there is general admission standing and seating in the Gary Ablett Terrace. There is also a selection of seating around the ground. A seating chart of Simonds Stadium can be found here.

Where to get food near Simonds Stadium ?

Stadiummap.jpg

Food and beverage outlets are located within the stadium on a match day.

There are no EFTPOS facilities available in these outlets. Mobile venders also roam the facility selling hot dogs, pies, ice creams and drinks. An ATM is located in the Club Cats Bistro.

Here is a list of pubs close to Skilled Stadium that provide good meals and are normally full of Geelong supporters before and after the game:

• Club Cats – Located inside Simonds Stadium .
  • The Clarendon - Latrobe Terrace
  • Sawyers Arms Tavern – Corner of Latrobe Terrace and Noble Street
  • The Barwon Club - Moorabool Street (River End)
  • The Valley Inn – Fyans Street
  • De La Ville Hotel – Little Myers Street
  • Lord of the Isles – Fyans Street
  • The Cremorne – Pakington Street
Where to go out after the game?

• Lamby's Tent - Located behind the Doug Wade Stand, the Tent is open after the game.
  • Bended Elbow - Yarra Street
  • Lambys Tavern - Brougham Street
  • Room 99 - Ryrie Street
  • Blue Martini - James Street
  • Club 4Play - Moorabool Street
  • HaPenny Bridge - Ryrie Street
  • Home House - Moorabool Street
Where is the nearest TAB?
There is no TAB located in Simonds Stadium . Here are the five closest TABs to the ground.

tab1u.jpg

tab2a.jpg

Training
The Club has changed its policy with open training sessions now held only four times this season.

1st Quarter - Friday January 20, 2012
2nd Quarter - Saturday April 21, 2012
3rd Quarter - Saturday June 30, 2012
Final Quarter - Saturday August 25, 2012

Please check the Geelong Open Training page for more details.

This should be used as a guide only. If you have a more detailed question or something relevant to the week’s game please post and our fellow can help you.

If you have more information to add, or would like something else covered in this post feel free to give feedback.

Cheers,

The Moderators.

Re: Geelong Supporters Guide to Geelong

Great work Rizzo! As a WA based Cats member, the information above will prove invaluable when i venture across to Geelong later in the season.Cheers.:thumbsu:

Re: The Geelong Supporters Guide to Skilled Stadium and Geelong

Free wireless for those with iphones etc also (which is especially good for us punting types).

Thanks rizzo, some very useful info.

Top work yet again. :thumbsu:

Where is free wireless buddy?

Just got a new work phone with wireless and dont mind an punt.
Also has just been installed at the MCG too.

Wow - thanks for the info..... And Karindia Park?

There's no landing page at KP - if you have your phone set to auto detect you can just use it normally. I sit in the Ablett Terrace and have had wireless for the past year (think I first noticed it when we hosted North last year).

Also, while there's no TAB as Rizzo mentions, it looks as though the Betfair tent at the back of the Ablett Terrace is here to stay.

There's no landing page at KP - if you have your phone set to auto detect you can just use it normally. I sit in the Ablett Terrace and have had wireless for the past year (think I first noticed it when we hosted North last year).

Also, while there's no TAB as Rizzo mentions, it looks as though the Betfair tent at the back of the Ablett Terrace is here to stay.

Cheers.... I tried using wireless on the weekend and it would not load. I assumed there were hotspots or something?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cheers.... I tried using wireless on the weekend and it would not load. I assumed there were hotspots or something?

Whereabouts were you? I had 100% in my seat, but funnily enough had nothing outside the bar behind the Ablett Terrace/Ford Stand. So there must be some very fine hotspots.

Just wondering what ticket prices are at the ground? Haven't been down in a while, and would love to get down to KP a couple of times this year, but from memory, prices used to be quite high compared with the G and Docklands-any change to this? And what is the likelihood of getting into the ground, considering the high probability of sellouts this year?

Top write up!!

Also probably worth noting that VLine usually have a football special train that doesnt always display on the timetable (11:40am from Southern Cross to South Geelong). one departing South Geelong for Southern Cross at 5:05 also (i believe) is a football special.

This is great, I am going to Skilled for the first time this weekend and this is really interesting/helpful. five stars.

Re: Guide to Skilled Stadium and Geelong

There hasn't been a TAB at the Carrington for over 5 years.

The closest TAB's outside the ground are the Cremorne Hotel in Pakington Street, only a 5 minute walk and the Valley Inn Hotel ( Billy's Pub ) in Fyans Street about a 10 minute walk.

Great write up :thumbsu:

Whereabouts were you? I had 100% in my seat, but funnily enough had nothing outside the bar behind the Ablett Terrace/Ford Stand. So there must be some very fine hotspots.

I was in the social club area. I assume there is no password for free wireless internet so i found it stange that i could not access it.

I am also assuming that there are hotspots. I wonder where these are? I tried googling Kardinia Park/internet/wireless, etc, yet had no success.

If anyone could let us know before this week, it would be awesome!

Terrific guide. Worth mentioning the free parking for Ford drivers? Never done it but heard it mentioned enough on the radio.

Also I think the footy special's timing varies according to what time the game is. It's on the Vline site usually.

The only other thing - is it worth mentioning facilities for those in wheelchairs, etc? I have no idea what they are, or even if they are worth mentioning, but maybe someone would find it useful.

Anyway, I think this is a terrific little guide. Thanks for putting it together!

why isnt this thread a sticky?

I even put "SS Guide included" in the title of the important links thread so you would know it is there.

Also it is on our blog as well :

here is the blog link: http://www.geelongblog.com/wp/?page_id=403

Finally, if you type guide skilled stadium into Google, the blog link is the 6th listed and the bigfooty thread is the 7th listed.

So if you can't find it then your internet skills suck.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back