Rumour Gunston requesting trade

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally someone with a bit of Sense. This is Spot on..

Regardless Whether it's the ND or PSD a host of interstate clubs have selections prior to Melbourne bssed clubs

Entering any draft risk on Gunna not getting home to Melbourne and he would want a trade done and this is why a deal will get done.

Like I have said if Adelaide wins, Gunna wins

Finally someone with a bit of Sense. This is Spot on..
If he choose the Luke Ball path, then there's a good chance that he'll end up in Melbourne - though maybe not at the club of his desire. If this happens, then Adelaide will lose him for nothing. The only guarantee is that he won't end up at GWS.

However, I sincerely doubt that things will go down that path. Gunston will be highly in demand - there's a shortage of forwards up for trade this year who have actually shown something at AFL level. I fully expect that there will be a small bidding war between several interested Victorian clubs, with Adelaide getting fair (if not generous) compensation for losing Gunner.

He most certainly can - and there's not a damn thing we could do about it. However, nominating for the ND carries greater risks than the PSD - he really could end up being selected by anyone. Adelaide still get first crack at him (after GC, Port, Brisbane and GWS x6), but would we waste pick #10 on re-drafting him? I guarantee he'd be gone by our 2nd round pick at #35.

GWS can't take another Crow unless he is traded to them (or the AFL changes to rule again which they like doing) so Gunna would nominate for the ND if he had to.

GC, Port and Bris wouldn't use a top 10 pick to rent a kid for a year. Would Freo use their 1st rounder if still they have it? Doubt Crows would redraft him with their 1st rounder.

Looks to me Gunna would make it back to Vic through the ND. Which Melb club is anyone guess. Which is why the should Crows for the best other they can get.

Nobody thought Ball would make it to pick 30 when St Kilda refused pick 25 but he did (and beat them in the GF the next year). I don't think clubs can afford to do what St Kilda did. I hope and think you will get market value for him and didn't get ripped off.

As I said when we drafted him, beware the player whose father is on the Essendon Board.

Based on Jack's honesty to date (that sounds like a fair deal Mr Harper, just need to sort out the last few details, whoops see ya later) I expect him to nominate Essendon in a few days time.

Also note that Talia is not yet signed, just "sorting out the last few details", should be apples any time soon. If something isn't announced by Wednesday we can kiss him goodbye.

It won't matter

He has cited homesickness so his aim is to get return to Melbourne, yes he may have a preferred club however if he is truly homesick he may be forced to accept another Melbourne based club in order to get back home on to his mothers bossom which is better than the PSD option

You are looking at this through rose coloured glasses.

If he decides he wants to be traded to Essendon for instance, he will be quite happy to end up in the PSD.

History would suggest that once a player has agreed to terms with their desired club and refuses to talk contracts with any other club, he is virtually guaranteed to go to that club in the PSD.

GWS can't take another Crow unless he is traded to them (or the AFL changes to rule again which they like doing) so Gunna would nominate for the ND if he had to.

GC, Port and Bris wouldn't use a top 10 pick to rent a kid for a year. Would Freo use their 1st rounder if still they have it? Doubt Crows would redraft him with their 1st rounder.

Looks to me Gunna would make it back to Vic through the ND. Which Melb club is anyone guess. Which is why the should Crows for the best other they can get.

Nobody thought Ball would make it to pick 30 when St Kilda refused pick 25 but he did (and beat them in the GF the next year). I don't think clubs can afford to do what St Kilda did. I hope and think you will get market value for him and didn't get ripped off.

Yes Yes and Yes..This is Exactly right.

The only guarantee is that he won't end up at GWS.

Im not sure thats the case fellas. If the player nominates for the draft, I think you will find he is available to any of the 18 teams.

The GWS are not allowed to negotiate a contract with any more crows players outside of the PSD or ND unless it involves a trade with the crows.

Once they are in the draft they are anyones.

Negative Ghost Rider, the pattern is full.

Once GWS have taken a player from a club, they can't take a 2nd player from the same club - either via ND, RD or PSD. The only exceptions are if the club (Adelaide) were to agree to it, or if they trade for the 2nd player (just like any of the legacy clubs).

If Gunston nominates for the ND or PSD, there is only one certainty. He won't end up at GWS.

I like Gunston and all, but banking him in as an "almost certain 200+ game" player, not to mention calling him "this generation's Robert Murphy", is a very far-reaching assumption.

He's good, and he's had a couple of great games (against mediocre opposition, mind you), but he's far from a guaranteed gun yet.

It's not what he has done, but the way he has done it.

Superb mark, great foot skills, amazing awareness, sound and quick decision making, footy brain, excellent body positioning.

Once he bulks up a little, all he will lack is the top end foot speed.

Not that I'm an expert talent analyst or anything but I would use a weaker qualifier on almost all of these points.

He's a good mark, his foot skills are alright but then he's sprayed a bunch of shots on goal, his decision making is decent but then he's had brainfades, and I'd say his body position hasn't really stood out to me (since his goals have generally come from marks on the lead).

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to be one of those people who says a player is a dud as soon as he leaves - what Gunston has shown so far given his age and lack of body size has been very promising, particularly given his reported injured hand late in the season. I'm just saying we've seen lots of players have a little purple patch early in their career when people don't really know who they are, and then fail to recapture it going into the future. If he keeps his current form line, then yes, he'll be a 200+ game player, but it's very early days yet.

I think that you may have underestimated his talent Stabby - i'm with TLF on Gunstan - IMO he will develop into a very good player and with dedication, into a "top gun" - he has footy nous, an x-factor and the ability to score goals.

We should be playing hard-ball and aiming for a top 10 pick or somehow involving him in a deal to get us Kennedy via the mini-draft.

Perhaps one side-benefit to come out of this is that i do really believe that the AFC is going to act more "hardcore" in its future dealings with players, AFL, other clubs etc...... in all aspects.

I can understand (albeit disappointed) that we lost Bock & Davis due to abnormal $ circumstances, i can understand Maric seeking a trade in order to get the opportunity of being a ruck leader, i can understand the go-home factor or whatever for players such as Stenglein, Carr, Chris Knights, etc but they at least established themselves first whereas Gunston simply left after 2 years (and was being played in our 22) and even worse did not attend the presentation night - a very disrespectfull act both to our club and his team mates.... Screw him i think

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You are looking at this through rose coloured glasses.

If he decides he wants to be traded to Essendon for instance, he will be quite happy to end up in the PSD.

History would suggest that once a player has agreed to terms with their desired club and refuses to talk contracts with any other club, he is virtually guaranteed to go to that club in the PSD.

I'm not seeing things through rose co our glasses I just rather the club draw the line in the sand and be aggressive

I'll rather get nothing than accept a crap trade and let Gunna take the risk in either a ND or PSD

Time to make a stance

GWS wouldn't take him anyway. I know people like to float the idea of "see how you like it when you end up at GC or GWS!!!" but realistically, why would GWS or anyone else spend a decent pick on a player they know doesn't want to be there? Non-Victorian clubs aren't going to simply chase after talent when they've made it 100% clear they don't like being away from home.

We certainly can't play "hard ball" in the sense that we'll just send him off to the draft if clubs don't play ball. Won't work here. What we can do is bank on the fact that there are ten clubs in Victoria that he might be happy to move to, and hope that many of them would be interested in trading for him. The bidding war will drive his trade value up.

I'm not seeing things through rose co our glasses I just rather the club draw the line in the sand and be aggressive

I'll rather get nothing than accept a crap trade and let Gunna take the risk in either a ND or PSD

Time to make a stance

I agree, the point Im making is though, it really isnt a risk these days. If he were to agree to terms with Essendon, then thats where he will end up if he goes to the PSD.

I think we should either go for a Compo pick or tell one of the melbourne clubs to deal with GWS for a mini draft pick.

Once GWS have taken a player from a club, they can't take a 2nd player from the same club - either via ND, RD or PSD.

I wish we could clarify, because thats not how I understand it. The notion that certain players in a draft cannot be drafted by certain clubs seems completely absurd.

I wish we could clarify, because thats not how I understand it. The notion that certain players in a draft cannot be drafted by certain clubs seems completely absurd.

I was pretty certain that gws cannot touch a player from a club they have taken an uncontracted player from..

To stop any sly dealings and encouraging players to enter the draft and they will pick them up.. It could rip clubs apart if they could do that..

Here's the relevant rule, as taken from the AFL Player Rules Feb 2011 document:
36.10 National Draft - 2011
(d) WSFC may only select a Player at the 2011 National Draft who nominated for the Draft pursuant to rule 4.4.3(b) (“Nominated Player”) if that Player was most recently on the List of a Club from which WSFC has not already listed an uncontracted Player under Rule 36.7 or if such Club agrees to the selection.
and the Pre-Season Draft:
36.11 Participation in Pre-Season Draft - 2011
(b) WSFC may not select a Player under Rule 36.11(a) who nominated for the Pre Season Draft under Rule 5.2(a) if that Player was most recently on the List of a Club from which WSFC has:
(i) Listed an uncontracted Player under Rule 36.7; or
(ii) selected a Nominated Player at the 2011 National Draft .
unless such Club agrees to the selection
Pretty straight forward really. Now that they've taken Davis, Gunston is off-limits unless Adelaide agree to them taking him.

Once GWS have taken a player from a club, they can't take a 2nd player from the same club - either via ND, RD or PSD. The only exceptions are if the club (Adelaide) were to agree to it, or if they trade for the 2nd player (just like any of the legacy clubs).

If Gunston nominates for the ND or PSD, there is only one certainty. He won't end up at GWS.

Hypothetical... Could we sign a release saying GWS could pick him up in the PSD?

Not that I think it will come to it though.

Here's the relevant rule, as taken from the AFL Player Rules Feb 2011 document:

and the Pre-Season Draft:

Pretty straight forward really. Now that they've taken Davis, Gunston is off-limits unless Adelaide agree to them taking him.

That is just so #@#$ed up. If the bloke is in the draft, he is already lost to the club. Why the hell would the former club give a stuff if he is picked up by the establishment club rather than an already established club. What am I missing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back