GWS in Canberra

Remove this Banner Ad

Having lived walking distance from Manuka in a very distant former life, and having attended a dozen of our games there over the last decade, it is an excellent location for AFL.

However, it works best in mild conditions for day games. Ideally on a long weekend (eg, ANZAC Day).

Personally, I’m always up for a day trip to Canberra on a long weekend with a 2pm timeslot.

Further, the Canberra members are staunch supporters to their great credit.

Canberra members should also be given travel consideration when scheduling our games at GS.

That said, I agree there is a very serious problem with the Easter show mega-break at GS.

McGuire, like a broken clock, is right for once when he says the AFL should put extra games in Canberra.

Can we all agree to a trial of this by shifting our final round game against the Poodles from the Mars wasteland to Manuka?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Having lived walking distance from Manuka in a very distant former life, and having attended a dozen of our games there over the last decade, it is an excellent location for AFL.

However, it works best in mild conditions for day games. Ideally on a long weekend (eg, ANZAC Day).

Personally, I’m always up for a day trip to Canberra on a long weekend with a 2pm timeslot.

Further, the Canberra members are staunch supporters to their great credit.

Canberra members should also be given travel consideration when scheduling our games at GS.

That said, I agree there is a very serious problem with the Easter show mega-break at GS.

McGuire, like a broken clock, is right for once when he says the AFL should put extra games in Canberra.

Can we all agree to a trial of this by shifting our final round game against the Poodles from the Mars wasteland to Manuka?

As long as it’s away games yes.

In the near future Hawks and Norths will have spare games to sell once Tassie come in.
Unfortunately, the Victorians think the centre of the AFL world is Melbourne. They want to eventually move all these home games back to Melbourne although as a short interim measure are happy to sell a couple of games to secondary markets.

In the near future Hawks and Norths will have spare games to sell once Tassie come in.
I think you're still banned from selling games to your opponent's home ground?

Gold Coast hosted Freo at Optus in 2018.
I assume that was during the Commonwealth Games that rendered Carrara unavailable, so very different scenario.

Any "rule" can be overturned by the rule makers ... if they want to, of course.
Given it was introduced to disadvantage a non-Victorian club, why would they get rid of it? :p

I assume that was during the Commonwealth Games that rendered Carrara unavailable, so very different scenario.

They had other options. They played home games in Cairns and Brisbane. They didn't have to play a game against Freo in Perth. They chose to (I assume the money was good).

The Kangaroos also played two home games against Sydney at the SCG across 2000-01.

If the money was right, I'm sure we could get a Victorian team to sell a home game against the Giants in Canberra. That being said, I can't seeing it happening. The ACT Govt can't spend any more money on interstate teams.

They had other options. They played home games in Cairns and Brisbane. They didn't have to play a game against Freo in Perth. They chose to (I assume the money was good).

The Kangaroos also played two home games against Sydney at the SCG across 2000-01.

If the money was right, I'm sure we could get a Victorian team to sell a home game against the Giants in Canberra. That being said, I can't seeing it happening. The ACT Govt can't spend any more money on interstate teams.
Oh, I'm not referring to the clubs. Clubs absolutely would jump at it. The AFL has banned the practice since the early/mid-00s. Obviously an exception was provided in 2018 because the Suns couldn't play their home games at home, but the Roos at the SCG and the Demons at the Gabba were seen as providing too much of an advantage for the non-Victorian clubs, so the AFL banned the practice.

The irony is not lost on me of the AFL banning the advantage of home game atmosphere for a regular season game while mandating Victorian home game atmosphere for the biggest game of the year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh, I'm not referring to the clubs. Clubs absolutely would jump at it. The AFL has banned the practice since the early/mid-00s. Obviously an exception was provided in 2018 because the Suns couldn't play their home games at home, but the Roos at the SCG and the Demons at the Gabba were seen as providing too much of an advantage for the non-Victorian clubs, so the AFL banned the practice.

The irony is not lost on me of the AFL banning the advantage of home game atmosphere for a regular season game while mandating Victorian home game atmosphere for the biggest game of the year.

Would that apply to secondary grounds?

I get not selling games to Showgrounds Stadium, but Manuka isn't really the Giants homeground.

It would just be similar how the Hawls are trying to play a home game in Launceston against Tasmania.

I'm trying to find a loophole in which we could get more Giants games to Canberra without losing Sydney games.

Is it more important to you that Manuka is known as a "real Giants home ground" than it would be to get more games?
It's not a loophole and you don't need a loophole. The AFL have to sign off on any agreement and they're also the ones that make the rules. Currently the rules say they won't allow it - but if they decide to allow it, they don't need a loophole. They can literally change the rule.

It's not a loophole and you don't need a loophole. The AFL have to sign off on any agreement and they're also the ones that make the rules. Currently the rules say they won't allow it - but if they decide to allow it, they don't need a loophole. They can literally change the rule.

Then there's really no issue. If they AFL want it, it'll happen.

I do think that the fact that Manuka isn't the Giants real/primary home ground would make it easier though.

Unfortunately, the Victorians think the centre of the AFL world is Melbourne. They want to eventually move all these home games back to Melbourne although as a short interim measure are happy to sell a couple of games to secondary markets.

VFL HQ really can’t afford to walk away from ACT financial support.

Particularly as they’ll take a hit in Tassie too.

‘Follow the ACT money’ to Manuka is our best chance of playing away games in CBR.

Exactly- the VFL will do whatever it wants, and justify it whatever way it so desires.

‘Follow the ACT money’ to Manuka is our best chance of playing away games in CBR.

Agree - ideally, the cash strapped Victorian teams will sell a couple of their away Giants games to Manuka. Unfortunately, the Barr ACT government has a lot of financial issues due to the Tram$, so am not sure our government has the money for this :-(

Agree - ideally, the cash strapped Victorian teams will sell a couple of their away Giants games to Manuka. Unfortunately, the Barr ACT government has a lot of financial issues due to the Tram$, so am not sure our government has the money for this :-(

I agree that there's likely no more money to be given from the ACT Government. Especially when AFL already receives more than the teams actually based in Canberra.

While the Canberra-GWS partnership continues, I think three games is probably the best Canberra's going to get.

I wonder if they would allow Swans away games in Canberra after Tassie enter.
They always used to play the Bulldogs at Manuka.

Remove this Banner Ad

GWS in Canberra

Remove this Banner Ad

Back