GWS in Canberra

Remove this Banner Ad

Whatever the case may be with the Canberra-Giants partnership, I think something positive for footy in Canberra is being worked through as we speak, particularly after seeing the attendees to last Sunday's game at Manuka.

Exciting times. :D

As a Canberra based GWS member, I would be shocked if the ACT funded an extra H&A away game given the ACT Brumbies (Rugby Union) are so close to folding in what is a very sensitive issue for the ACT Government (linked to the lack of a new Rugby stadium).

I'm sure the GWS board have discussed maximising revenue in diverting their poorest attended 1-2 games annually for a 4th ACT game, but assume that the opportunity costs is too great (criticism, undermining their NSW presence/expansion and financial costs of accom/transport to Canberra). I guess in the scheme of things that there isn't much difference between 8k against the gold coast at Engie v 10k at Manuka.

Last edited:
As a Canberra based GWS member, I would be shocked if the ACT funded an extra H&A away game given the ACT Brumbies (Rugby Union) are so close to folding in what is a very sensitive issue for the ACT Government (linked to the lack of a new Rugby stadium).

I'm sure the GWS board have discussed maximising revenue in diverting their poorest attended 1-2 games annually for a 4th ACT game, but assume that the opportunity costs is too great (criticism, undermining their NSW presence/expansion and financial costs of accom/transport to Canberra). I guess in the scheme of things that there isn't much difference between 8k against the gold coast at Engie v 10k at Manuka.
There is an issue when you say you are a Western Sydney club and you only play 7 home games.
And before you say they are a Canberra club to it ain’t in the name.
😁

The main factor is player travel. It's a shame Canberra is 270km away, if it was closer it would only be a bus trip, not a flight.

Then there's really no issue. If they AFL want it, it'll happen.

I do think that the fact that Manuka isn't the Giants real/primary home ground would make it easier though.
I do too

It’s worth remembering how many other clubs are playing at two home grounds.

Hawks, North, Poodles, Demons.

If we exited Canberra, one of those teams would move in, immediately replace us and lay claim to our recruiting zone.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
They all have 100 years of history. We are building ours from the ground up

It’s worth remembering how many other clubs are playing at two home grounds.

Hawks, North, Poodles, Demons.

They also play half a dozen away games in their home city.

If we exited Canberra, one of those teams would move in, immediately replace us and lay claim to our recruiting zone.

Or, hear me out, Canberra just gets it own team.

Remove this Banner Ad

GWS in Canberra

Remove this Banner Ad

Back