• 11 games in Western Sydney? Name change to Western Sydney

Votes: 59 27.6%
  • Merge with a Vic club?

Votes: 9 4.2%
  • Just be patient?

Votes: 98 45.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

For context, the entire population of the whole state of WA is around 2.7 million.

And yet there is no "Perth" named teams.

The whole point of creating the Giants was to grow the game in Western Sydney.

The whole point of creating the Giants was to grow the game by targetting Western Sydney.
Anything outside of W.S. being a bonus.

Here's Andrew Demitriou in his own words:

Yes, he says, what I say, that the whole point of creating the Giants was to grow the game by targetting Western Sydney.

You can't directly transpose what works in Perth to Sydney.
Perth is just one example.
Why did the Eastern Suburbs become Sydney City then ?

Class, or more specifically the difference in which football codes are popular in the wealthier regions of Sydney vs the traditionally working class regions, is a big factor in the Sydney sporting market.

Well if you look at the the various regions like you have the big difference is IMMIGRATION.
the only reason the AFL is "fighting" the NRL is because the NRL is definitely fighting the AFL.
The AFL is actually trying to boost AFL in an area dominated by soccer.

And what happened is that their supporter base grew strongest in the wealthier parts of Sydney that traditionally followed rugby union.

What really happened was that Australian Football was more established in established parts of Sydney.
I don't need a history lesson.
I don't this class b.s.
It seems to me that you are afraid of success outside of your working-class logic.

If you genuinely think thousands of people will travel from the North Shore or the Eastern Suburbs to Olympic Park each week to watch the Giants, then frankly you are utterly clueless about Sydney.
WTF would I think thousands of people will travel from the North Shore each week to watch the Giants,
I occasionally travel from the Eastern Suburbs to Olympic Park to watch the Giants.
It's a simple two train ride.
It's much simpler to travel from the Eastern Suburbs to Olympic Park to watch the Giants than travel to Opus Oval in Perth.

I'll state the obvious one more time, Everybody knows that the Giants stand for Western Sydney, it doesn't have to be in the name. You are absolutely clueless if you think targeting just working class NRL types has sense.
The W.S. is made up of all types of people. Those are the people the AFL is targeting but other people outside of W.S. will be attracted - don't discourage them with silly class statements or supposed history lessons.

So what happens when they play Carlton, Geelong, North Melbourne, Western Bulldogs, W.C.E. and Melbourne ?

I'ts follows the format red for the Northern teams, blue for the Southern teams and whatever for the Western teams.
just use a clash jumper

NO. You were bitching because of the clash of colours between Swans and Giants members.
What do you suggest for the members of Carlton, Geelong, North Melbourne, Western Bulldogs, W.C.E. and Melbourne when they clash?
Swans and Giants are the derby, games against Vics and other states is not.
You are trolling and you know it.

Would never want any club killed off, but would think clubs still on massive AFL injections, almost on the level of expansion clubs, that are 100 years old and in the heartland would be more concerning than the Giants, or Suns really as grassroots is going strong in Qld.
Distribution of supporters not the number of teams is the problem in Melbourne. Historically, success has bred more success. Those smaller Melbourne clubs are supported by the opposition supporters in all those Melbourne derbies.

Swans and Giants are the derby, games against Vics and other states is not.
You are trolling and you know it.

I have no idea what you are trying to say.
But i think it's utterly ridiculous for someone to suggest sky blue as a colour for the Giants simply because the orange didn't stand out against the red.
It is no different from a whole host of blue team clashes or even the prominent black of Essondon and Richmonds.
Fans and members primarily wear the standard setup not the clash setup.

I have no idea what you are trying to say.
But i think it's utterly ridiculous for someone to suggest sky blue as a colour for the Giants simply because the orange didn't stand out against the red.
It is no different from a whole host of blue team clashes or even the prominent black of Essondon and Richmonds.
Fans and members primarily wear the standard setup not the clash setup.
Skyblue and black vs Red and white.
Works a treat.

On top of that Skyblue black and silver is the Rep colours for Western Sydney Athletics. So it suits.

Once again you are associating Sydney with other cities and states.
What works or is acceptable there doesn’t necessarily work in Sydney.

Skyblue and black vs Red and white.
Works a treat.

It's NEVER going to happen so give it a rest FFS.

On top of that Skyblue black and silver is the Rep colours for Western Sydney Athletics.

Orange and Black signify Giants. So that works.

Once again you are associating Sydney with other cities and states.

It's a NATIONAL league. There are simply too many blue teams producing too many clashes.
What works or is acceptable there doesn’t necessarily work in Sydney.
What works in Sydney is red and white for Swans and orange and black for the Giants.
Not a problem at all on the field, in fact the black jumpers project strength.
Especially when most clash jumpers are white.
Red and white Vs black and orange was a really good look.

Last edited:
It's NEVER going to happen so give it a rest FFS.
Kiss my ass ffs 🤣 thought this was a discussion.

Not saying it ever would. Just pointing out the ridiculousness of your take.
Orange and Black signify Giants. So that works.
100% have no issue with my clubs colours. Just pointing out what would of worked better.
It's a NATIONAL league. There are simply too many blue teams producing too many clashes.
🤣
What works in Sydney is red and white for Swans and orange and black for the Giants.
Not a problem at all on the field, in fact the black jumpers project strength.
Especially when most clash jumpers are white.
Red and white Vs black and orange was a really good look.
🙄🤣

NO. You were bitching because of the clash of colours between Swans and Giants members.
What do you suggest for the members of Carlton, Geelong, North Melbourne, Western Bulldogs, W.C.E. and Melbourne when they clash?
they all wear DARK blue

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just pointing out the ridiculousness of your take.

WTF. All I'm saying is keep the colours as they are
and I would suggest that would almost be an unaminous view among fans.
You are the one with some ridiculous, insipid and irrelevant suggestion
to further clog the the AFL with 50 shades of blue.

they all wear DARK blue

Not really observant are you on this ridiculous matter.
The blues range from Carlton's almost black to North's and WCE's light blue.
Anyways, if it's not a problem with all these clubs wearing dark blue in the stands
then it isn't a problem for Swans wearing red and the Giants wearing orange.
If it was a problem then the solution would be to promote an away jumper for fans.
or is that too simple a solution for weirdos that want to stuff things up
and create much bigger problems on multiple fronts.

I remember now why I had you on ignore.

Please do.
i cannot believe a supposedly Giants supporter is still flogging on about such a ridiculous and irrelevant subject when arguably the best ever advertisement for AFL in Sydney took place last Saturday.
If that game doesn't pique interest in AFL and the Giants then it's going to (continue to) be a hard road.

Good article about the challenges the code faces in Western Sydney.

Exactly what we have been saying - all the growth in Sydney is due to the Swans and that participation is going backwards in the GWS zone. GWS crowds have not grown and Canberra is not helping. Interesting that the AFL has admitted they have made mistakes and is now having to change tack. Although I reckon busing kids in from Parramatta and Blacktown is just fluffing around the edges rather than a games changing strategy to turn around the club’s fortunes.

Good article about the challenges the code faces in Western Sydney.

in one way yes, in one way it's part of the problem.
When interest is supposedly at it's peak the SMH chooses to display how poorly AFL is doing and how ell NRL is doing.
This indeed may be factual, but the media in Sydney are a overwhelming part of the problem.
The SMH low-lighted two statements - generational change and GWS are the equivalent to many NRL sides.

The article did bring up one new point and that was the effect of the cost-of-living.

Last edited:
Exactly what we have been saying - all the growth in Sydney is due to the Swans and that participation is going backwards in the GWS zone.

The fact that none of the organisations are on the same page is telling.

Another source speaks of misalignment between the AFL, its state-based subsidiary AFL NSW/ACT, the two clubs, the school system and everything beneath, which is limiting potential.

Where is the state-based subsidiary AFL NSW/ACT located? Couple hundred metres from Swans HQ.

Where is Swans HQ located? Couple hundred from the state-based subsidiary AFL NSW/ACT.

Where are both located? Moore Park (Swans region). Where is footy doing best? Swans region.

If AFL NSW/ACT coordinate with the Swans that are essentially next door, and in conjunction with the Swans put resourcing into the Swans zone then of course the Swans zone will do better.

The Giants being many KMs away do not have the privilege of being a couple hundred metres from AFL NSW/ACT and AFL Sydney. Given it looks like no one can agree, plus the tyranny of distance compared to the other two organisations couple hundred metres from each other, cannot be helping.

Last edited:
Ahh the typical Sydney media hit peice when footy is flying in Sydney off the back of a sensational final on Saturday.

I find it really funny the giants get criticised only 14 years in and then the storm get talked up as a massive success by the media and even idiots in the comments section.

Yet they have:

• the same number of members.
  • only a 7k higher home crowds average.
  • have been around 20 years longer and have about 5 premierships, plus play in a grand final on average every 3 years.
  • are one team in the town in that sport.
  • when I checked the other day were still struggling to sellout their final despite all the news corp and sen promotion and the giants have almost sold out there's despite sen and news corp giving them zero coverage in Sydney. Plus, there is no afl on in Melbourne this weekend!

The giants have made some great progress this year, highest average crowds and membership in their history and massive social media gains in 2024. Grassroots needs work, but the strategy has changed and is 10x better this year than it was under Gill.

Lets remember the swans, bears, port and freo early days and not buy into the anti AFL media agenda.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

GWS is the AFL's biggest problem - not North, GC, or Tassie

Back