• 11 games in Western Sydney? Name change to Western Sydney

Votes: 61 26.8%
  • Merge with a Vic club?

Votes: 9 3.9%
  • Just be patient?

Votes: 105 46.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I think the current AFL admin under Goyder and Dillon are too weak to wanna try, but if the commission chair changes (which hopefully it does in the next year), there might be a more bust down doors approach that will try and do what's best for the code, despite the criticism.

Yeah I know all this, I'm saying you can still make it happen if you have the drive to do so and it would be a success for North, Canberra and the afl, so they should forge forward on the idea. It's why the afl and commission exist, to do what's best for the code.
If North didn't relocate in 2008 with 32,000 members they're not going to relocate in 2024 with 51,000 members.

It's not a success for North by virtue of the fact that their members want to remain playing in Melbourne. It is still a club whose operations are run by a board voted by the members that operate under the members' desire, no?

If North didn't relocate in 2008 with 32,000 members they're not going to relocate in 2024 with 51,000 members.

It's not a success for North by virtue of the fact that their members want to remain playing in Melbourne. It is still a club whose operations are run by a board voted by the members that operate under the members' desire, no?
Yes, but you could argue in the best interests of the game, WA and ACT no longer be under represented markets. While you could argue Victoria is NOT over represented, that doesn’t mean other markets are proportional to their demand and growth either.

The northern states are off limits for relocation because they’re for the good of the game, so the logical relocation would come from Victoria.

There are only two other alternatives:

1. ACT or WA remains under represented.

2. We go to 22 teams in less than 20 years.

I think the North relocation is the ideal kill two birds with one stone solution but failing that, ACT getting the nod and WA remaining a two team state is the next best option.

But if the game goes to 22 teams, I do agree that WA3 should be one of them. For them to stay at two teams permanently would be money left on the table IMO. But at least they have teams, ACT doesn’t, hence ACT > WA3 if forced to pick.

Yes, but you could argue in the best interests of the game, WA and ACT no longer be under represented markets. While you could argue Victoria is NOT over represented, that doesn’t mean other markets are proportional to their demand and growth either.

The northern states are off limits for relocation because they’re for the good of the game, so the logical relocation would come from Victoria.

There are only two other alternatives:

1. ACT or WA remains under represented.

2. We go to 22 teams in less than 20 years.

I think the North relocation is the ideal kill two birds with one stone solution but failing that, ACT getting the nod and WA remaining a two team state is the next best option.

But if the game goes to 22 teams, I do agree that WA3 should be one of them. For them to stay at two teams permanently would be money left on the table IMO. But at least they have teams, ACT doesn’t, hence ACT > WA3 if forced to pick.
None of which addresses the fact that North's 51,000 members, which provide a base level financial security of the club, want to move.

None of which addresses the fact that North's 51,000 members, which provide a base level financial security of the club, want to move.
It kinda does. It means Canberra gets team 20 if North can’t and won’t move, and that WA has to wait > 2050 for a third team. But I’ve said before I don’t think the AFL will have WA3 in mind if they ever expand beyond 20 teams.

It kinda does. It means Canberra gets team 20 if North can’t and won’t move, and that WA has to wait > 2050 for a third team. But I’ve said before I don’t think the AFL will have WA3 in mind if they ever expand beyond 20 teams.
The AFL has committed to an odd number of teams already without feeling too rushed to bring it back to even. What evidence is there that the introduction of any given team would significantly influence another, if it makes sense to introduce the team? What does North's membership desire to stay in Melbourne have anything to do with those plans?

I think you're missing my whole point, but that's ok.

I still think north is the elephant in the room, regardless of gws and gc issues

North absolutely should have relocated to gc when they had the chance imo.

North are either super honest or super-stupid.
The first thing North do when they play these venture games is say "We're not moving".
The business thing to do is say "we will consider moving" and simply use the fans.

If Canberra doesn’t get team 20 then relocation would be the only way to get a full time team before 2050. I agree with Bjo187, Canberra and Perth 3 together would shore up the game for another 30 years.

But I’d be shocked if North moves so hopefully you guys don’t have to wait another 30 years to get a team of your own!

I'm not an advocate for relocation, but if Canberra don't get Team 20, I'll probably be on the relocation train. I can't wait until the 2050s, to one day, maybe get a team if the competition expands again.

I've been one of the biggest advocates for the Giants to do well in Sydney. I've even travelled to Sydney for a few games. It's a huge market. It's ridiculous not to have the Giants there full-time.

But if Canberra misses out on Team 20 to Perth, I will 100% blame the Giants. At that point, I might start advocating for the Giants to move to Canberra. If they need Canberra, then move to Canberra. And if they don't want to relocate, then set us free.

A north relocation to Canberra should be extremely appealing for them, particularly off the back of seeing the success of the swans and lions in their northern relocations. I note in the roy Morgan poll, both are now top 5 supported in the afl, north languishing down the bottom and actually lost fans in the past year.

The Canberra move is most appealing coz it's close, drivable distance, they'd get access to a goldmine of academy players in the ACT and riverina, plus no competition from 9 other Vic sides to attract players. Most importantly, it's a growing city of half a million to grow into.

Last one, the balance of 9 Vic, 11 interstate is a lot better than 10 and 10.

A North relocation to Canberra should be extremely appealing for everybody except die-hard North fans.

North left Canberra almost two decades ago.

Somebody should be pointing out to all and sundry at North that
Fitzroy and South Melbourne left Melbourne some time ago and look at them now.
Fitzroy and South fans are enjoying GF appearances.
Fitzroy and South fans are enjoying general success.
Fitzroy and South fans still get to see their teams in Melbourne.

North fans could possibly go back to the "Kangaroos" banner.
North fans could possibly propose a home game split.
North fans would have the least distance to travel.

I'm not an advocate for relocation, but if Canberra don't get Team 20, I'll probably be on the relocation train. I can't wait until the 2050s, to one day, maybe get a team if the competition expands again.

I've been one of the biggest advocates for the Giants to do well in Sydney. I've even travelled to Sydney for a few games. It's a huge market. It's ridiculous not to have the Giants there full-time.

But if Canberra misses out on Team 20 to Perth, I will 100% blame the Giants. At that point, I might start advocating for the Giants to move to Canberra. If they need Canberra, then move to Canberra. And if they don't want to relocate, then set us free.
That’s your view. Giants are Canberra’s AFL team, and the status quo of playing 3 AFL/ 2 AFLW games in Canberra works for the club, the budgetary constrained ACT Government and the AFL. The sellout crowds at Manuka shows the acceptance of the current arrangements in Canberra. Despite the vocal opposition by some pushing an agenda, this will not change till at least 2032.

There has been no push for a full time Canberra team by the ACT Government, the club or the AFL, and there has been no grassroots or political pressure for a full time Canberra AFL team during our October elections. In fact, the most significant grassroots lobbying during this election by a sporting code has been by our local soccer community asking Barr for more $ to support the Aleague men’s bid and support Canberra United.

Remove this Banner Ad

GWS is the AFL's biggest problem - not North, GC, or Tassie

Back