WSYD GWS Just Has To Do Some Trades

Remove this Banner Ad

Again who were these alternative players? Saying that a lot of players were out of contract is entirely different from there being out of contract players who would have liked to go to GWS.

It is perfectly okay to admit that you over-reached with your post and that there was in fact no alternatives.

They had Scully lined up before his season even started, they had a list strategy and got who they were after they didn't even approach some players like Dane Swan as an example.

Having many players out of contract stands to reason that they were willing to field offers I'm sure if an offer that was too good to refuse came they would of landed 'alternatives'.

The other thing is age restriction on players they wanted, they wanted young guns this in itself reduces their pool of players especially ones who may be looking for a big contract before they get over the hill.

Yep yeah I can see your point only 1 player in the entire league willing to make millions of dollars and a very average player at that...

They will be a very good football club in a few years time but they are not going to be genuinely competitive as quickly as Gold Coast has come on.

You realise that they were saying that GWS had developed faster than Gold Coast towards the end of last season? Things change quickly in football. Sure they got belted today. I wouldn't extrapolate that to mean that they're doomed if they follow this course.

GWS are really bad, and I'm not sure they will end up being the monsters everyone expects them to be. There were a few people last year, and even early this year who had them ahead of GC at the same stage. The main difference early on was not so much that they had bigger bodied kids, but that they had wise old heads like Cornes, Power, Brogan and McDonald showing leadership.

They didn't need to get the very best experienced players, they just needed some guys with experience to compliment the young talent rather than relying solely on youth only. If Cornes Power and McDonald were still there they probably would have 2 wins by now, and a lot less 12-20 goal thumpings.

What effect these smashings will have on the psyche of their much vaunted talent I'm not sure, but I suspect it will get worse before it gets better.

I'm not sure why they would recruit a guy like Thornton if they weren't going to play him. Is he injured?

Im still find this funny.... You reap what you sow. I think the mentality with GWS was they expected they were going to use all their Draft picks on gun kids expecting to get 5-7 elite players. I wouldn't of hurt trading picks 11 and 13 to get 2 solid players. Im not convinced that GWS will be the Powerhouse club some people think they will be.

Still its a bit Harsh to Judge GWS in the first 2 seasons 3rd season they will struggle unless they don't get any Free agents.. Considering GWS is taking the Youth Policy, If GWS still dont get above the bottom 4 by the end of 2015, then questions will be asked.

..their kids have the potential, but half the job is recruiting, the other half is development.. ..all these smashings will harden some players, but others may burn out, get shellshocked etc and may never recover enough to realise their full potential.. ..others still will jump ship.... ..all those smashings after a while to begin to take their toll..

Having watched the Giants closely today, there is only one conclusion that I can arrive at, they have to be very active in this year's trade period. They will be a very good football club in a few years time but they are not going to be genuinely competitive as quickly as Gold Coast has come on.

I see GWS and Gold Coast development/trading in building their lists similarly to Carlton and Essendon. Carlton traded in the best midfielder in the game and spent all their best draft picks on running talented mids, not known for toughness, and a ruckman. Essendon went mainly tall with their first picks and spent time developing big bodied mids.

Most people, except Essendon supporters, thought that Carlton's list was superior to Essendon's as their young talent developed faster. This was because mids develop quicker and they had the best in the league to play around.

Now that the lists are coming to an age where they should be peaking the difference between the teams is very stark, even Carlton supporters can see it.

Same goes with GWS and Gold Coast. Gold Coast will almost certainly make finals next year and probably be unstoppable for the rest of us after that. GWS will end up a vastly superior side though.

Also GWS will be able to trade this year. Boyd or Patton will be worth a high quality mid AND a first round pick. I'm guessing that they'll trade Boyd (pick 1) or Patton for a quality ruck AND a quality mid.

Having watched the Giants closely today, there is only one conclusion that I can arrive at, they have to be very active in this year's trade period.

No shit Sherlock? What a genius you are having thought that up all by yourself like it never occurred to anyone ever before. Amazing! :rolleyes:

I almost doubt any club would be willing to pay the price. That is the problem GWS have because they wont accept unders.
The problem isn't accepting unders, the problem is they are asking for overs for pick 1. They are asking for an A grade player under 25, clubs don't give these blokes up, why would you give up a player who still has 150 games in them for someone untried?

GWS have made some massive mistakes already and really need to do something to fix them, 21,757 attending the derby game is terrible, especially as it was a Sydney home game. The uncontracted players they have signed have with the exception of Ward failed to deliver, what was worse is that none of them were recognised quality players to begin with. GC at least signed name established players. They need to sign Buddy, if for nothing more than publicity, they have no marque player, with the exception of Cameron also have no-one who looks like being a marque player anytime soon.

As for comparisons with GC, GWS are a long way behind.
GWS to Rd 16 2013 - 0 wins, 3 100+ loses, 10 60+ loses, average losing margin 69pts, crowd ave 9,414
GC to R2 16 2012 - 1 win, 1 100+ loss, 6 60+ loses, average losing margin 52pts, crowd ave 13,645 (full season)

GC Rd 17 - 23 2012 - 2 wins, 0 100+ loses, 3 60+ loses (all to top 4 sides Syd, Haw, Adel), ave losing margin 55pts.

I'll bare my arse in Bourke St if GWS equals this.

the biggest question is how long will players be willing to stick around and wait for things to change? they're staring at 2 wins in 2 years, next year mightn't offer much more, success requires a winning culture not just talent, look at Geelong, success breeds success.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GWS will be fine. Yes, they're winless and yes they've played some rancid games. They've also been in games against quality sides up until 3/4 time and then been blown away - fitness is clearly a massive issue, but if the Suns are any indication a third preseason should help immensely.

I see GWS and Gold Coast development/trading in building their lists similarly to Carlton and Essendon. Carlton traded in the best midfielder in the game and spent all their best draft picks on running talented mids, not known for toughness, and a ruckman. Essendon went mainly tall with their first picks and spent time developing big bodied mids.

Most people, except Essendon supporters, thought that Carlton's list was superior to Essendon's as their young talent developed faster. This was because mids develop quicker and they had the best in the league to play around.

Now that the lists are coming to an age where they should be peaking the difference between the teams is very stark, even Carlton supporters can see it.

Same goes with GWS and Gold Coast. Gold Coast will almost certainly make finals next year and probably be unstoppable for the rest of us after that. GWS will end up a vastly superior side though.

Also GWS will be able to trade this year. Boyd or Patton will be worth a high quality mid AND a first round pick. I'm guessing that they'll trade Boyd (pick 1) or Patton for a quality ruck AND a quality mid.
This is a very good point, Carlton made some silly mistakes drafting midfielders and it will take 5 years for us to get young talented KPP that are ready to play quality AFL, in a drafting rebuilds clubs need to get the KPP players first and allow them to take 4 to 5 years to develop and then add running players who develop in half the time.

Carlton need a forward desperately so win win would be something like

Trade 1
GWS - Patton and Hoskin Elliot
Carl - Jamieson, Warnock, Yarran

Trade 2
GWS - Pick 1
Carl - Warnock Robinson and Yarran

:eek:

no way. but i think this is the type of deal they'd want. this will not be a buyer's market for clubs wishing to deal with gws.

prudent harvesting of the draft will be better than selling the farm for a speccy or two.

GWS will be fine. Yes, they're winless and yes they've played some rancid games. They've also been in games against quality sides up until 3/4 time and then been blown away - fitness is clearly a massive issue, but if the Suns are any indication a third preseason should help immensely.

People don't seem to realise this. Most of the list will experience a significant improvement, whereas for most teams a few players will improve, some will stagnate and others will decline. The improvement across the board is what allowed GC to go from a side that was terrible by historical standards to a perfectly competitive team within 12 months.

If they get Buddy and maybe get someone like Dal Santo to provide leadership they will be looking at a massive improvement in year three. Luckily for GWS they have a tonne of young assets that can be used to develop their list. From my perspective, the Giants have a lot more upside (and can expect a larger short-term improvement) than the likes of Melbourne, St Kilda and the Western Bulldogs.

Dom Tyson for Armfield and Ellard

Seriously people keep imagining they can get rid of a few b side triers in oder to secure high end draft pics. It's not going to happen. The ball is in the court of GWS - they will pretty much secure the #1 pick. They have all the extra room outside the salary cap and will have room in the salary cap given their lack of ready made stars. Teams will need to play hard ball USA style.

The last team with an average age < 22 and conceding at least 1.4 years per player to the opposition was Fitzroy in 1996 (for one round). GWS has done it in every match this season. "Never give a sucker an even break", the saying goes, and the Giants are being given nothing.

I'll be mightily pissed if they're given a priority pick.

GWS are insane if they pay the assumed price for Buddy. They could trade for 2 or 3 established players and then buy another 2 or 3 out and out guns with the Buddy money. They'd be far more competitive and exciting if they did that rather than relying on L. Franklin.

I'm starting to think that Sheedy is driving Buddy's price up with the eye on some of the other Hawthorn players an trying to do what he said the other clubs should do to Geelong a few years back. Pick apart their list when they can't afford to match offers to others because of the price they paid to keep Buddy.

Sheedy looked all smug when he was drafting the best young kids in the country.
Not looking so smug now Kevin. Not looking so smug at all.

Had Kev of swallowed some pride and used some logic, the GWS would not be in this position.

What's he supposed to look like whilst plucking the draft clean of all the best talent in the country? Disappointed?

Remove this Banner Ad

WSYD GWS Just Has To Do Some Trades

Remove this Banner Ad

Back