GWS Mini-Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

The Uncle

Debutant
Jun 4, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
It's confirmed that we are very keen to take part in the GWS mini-draft, so what would you be willing to pay for pick 1? and if we can't get that then pick 2?

It sounds like GC offered their pick 4 to get access to pick 1 in the mini-draft and have been knocked back at this stage. If O'Meara and Crouch are as good as expected we are going to have to offer something we don't want to loose so please don't suggest that Warnock or Bate will get the Deal done.

Discuss...

Our two compo picks should be competitive in getting a selection.

Add our first rounder this year, but only for pick 1.
So you're saying.....

Giants Gain:
Middle of First Round Pick
First Round Pick after Melbourne's (Depending on finishing position)
Pick #12

Melbourne Gain:
O'Meara

Yes please! :) :thumbsu: Please tell me you're in Melbourne's recruiting department!

I was gunna say.......there's no way anyone would offer that much! haha!

As a GWS supperter Giant force can i ask your opinion on pick 4 vs our compo picks? which is better, by how much, how short are we

Becasue i agree adding pick 12 is a bit much imo but pick 4 is better than both compo picks at the same time?

Thanks

So you're saying.....

Giants Gain:
Middle of First Round Pick
First Round Pick after Melbourne's (Depending on finishing position)
+/- Warnock and/or Bate

Melbourne Gain:
O'Meara
Is the above enough? I know GC are offering pick 4 this year + something, but surely you would rather two probable top 10 picks next year in a stronger draft and one where you don't have all the other top picks. You'll probably get the guy you want at Pick 4 at picks 1,2,3 or 5 anyway.

Pick 12 as well is way too much, but a Warnock or Bate, despite having bugger all value might be a nice freebie. Either way I'm not sure who would offer you anything more than 2 top 10 picks in a strong draft next year.

Is the above enough? I know GC are offering pick 4 this year + something, but surely you would rather two probable top 10 picks next year in a stronger draft and one where you don't have all the other top picks. You'll probably get the guy you want at Pick 4 at picks 1,2,3 or 5 anyway.

Pick 12 as well is way too much, but a Warnock or Bate, despite having bugger all value might be a nice freebie. Either way I'm not sure who would offer you anything more than 2 top 10 picks in a strong draft next year.
Depends on what that something GC offer is. If it's a middle of first round pick. Then that trumps the Scully compo however if it's a 2nd/3rd round pick, then I'd probaley prefer the Scully compo.

I really want the Scully compo. 2 good drafts picks to use over the coming years will be golden! I really hope a deal can be done so Melbourne get O'Meara!

Matthew Warnock is a good sweenter. We need a solid KPB, and he does deserve to be in someones 22. If you guys offered the Scully Compsenation picks and Warnock, it'd probaley get O'Meara.

Our two compo picks should be competitive in getting a selection.

Add our first rounder this year, but only for pick 1.

Mate, love your enthusiasm... but your talking 3 potential Frawley, J. Riewoldt, Sidebottom etcs for 1 unproven 16 year old? Please no lol.

I think Pick 12 and one of the compo picks, plus as the OP said a player of actual value... so not Warnock, Bate, Newton....

Maybe a Macdonald, Davey etc... even them id be happy to lose anyway.. i cant bring myself to put a name of any REAL value

Jay Clark just tweeted "Dees could get Scully replacement in 17 yo mini draft. Brad crouch is their man. Will cost one of two 1st rd compo picks. Dream result"

Depends on what that something GC offer is. If it's a middle of first round pick. Then that trumps the Scully compo however if it's a 2nd/3rd round pick, then I'd probaley prefer the Scully compo.

I really want the Scully compo. 2 good drafts picks to use over the coming years will be golden! I really hope a deal can be done so Melbourne get O'Meara!

Matthew Warnock is a good sweenter. We need a solid KPB, and he does deserve to be in someones 22. If you guys offered the Scully Compsenation picks and Warnock, it'd probaley get O'Meara.

I would do that deal in heart beat.

For Crouch i'd offer 1 x $cully compo (the one after our pick) and our 2nd rounder as a start. Then maybe throw Warnock in to get it done.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes please. Hopefully you guys are the interstate club Warnocks been talking to.

Jay Clark just tweeted "Dees could get Scully replacement in 17 yo mini draft. Brad crouch is their man. Will cost one of two 1st rd compo picks. Dream result"

Was just coming on to ask if anyone knew anything about him as I also saw the tweet. Personally, I still like the idea of spreading the risk of players leaving/getting injured/picking duds etc and hence was not a huge fan of some of the proposed trades of the Dees bundling both compo picks in addition to their first rounder for O'meara. If you can grab three (or more) young blokes with those three picks, I still think that's a great spot to be in. Especially if you can use either or both of the compo picks in a rumoured strong draft next year.

Anywho, my Brothers from other Mothers, back to the topic at hand - does anyone know anythig about Mr Crouch?

I know plenty of people are saying trade both compo picks, but what if we were to trade 1 compo pick and one player. If we were to secure O'Meara through the mini-draft next year and sign Jack Viney as a FS pick IMO we will have too many midfielders. With Trengove, Sylvia, Jones, Gysberts, McKenzie, Maloney, Bail there would be no room for both Viney and O'Meara. So what if we were to trade 1 Compo pick and a player like Gysberts? I wonder if this would get the job done or not

I haven't seen either Crouch or O'Meara play but Emma Quayle raves about Crouch.

As I said, I haven't seen him play so can't comment with any real conviction, but from what I'm gathering an indirect swap of Scully for Crouch would be a great result for us.

O'Meara is meant to be an absolute freak but I wouldn't be totally keen on giving up 3 first round picks for him. Can see the logic, but it's too big a risk for a) a 17 year old kid and b) someone that comes from WA.

I know plenty of people are saying trade both compo picks, but what if we were to trade 1 compo pick and one player. If we were to secure O'Meara through the mini-draft next year and sign Jack Viney as a FS pick IMO we will have too many midfielders. With Trengove, Sylvia, Jones, Gysberts, McKenzie, Maloney, Bail there would be no room for both Viney and O'Meara. So what if we were to trade 1 Compo pick and a player like Gysberts? I wonder if this would get the job done or not

Viney and O'Meara will get a spot.

Bail and Jones could be in a bit of trouble.

I'm not saying we should trade 3x first rounders btw, just that I could see us doing that if we felt that O'Meara is our number one priority.

One compo pick for Crouch would be a dream come true tbh, hope that happens.

For everyone saying they'd give a lot less for Crouch than O'Meara, that's nuts. These two are very much like Scully and Martin (pre-draft) or Scully and Morabito or even Scully and Trengove.

Yep we will have too many gun young midfielders....jeezus

You need 8-10 mids to field a tema plus your forward and backs, we will have more than enough room, and we will most likely go for midfielder with pick 12 imo

You need 8-10 mids to field a tema plus your forward and backs, we will have more than enough room, and we will most likely go for midfielder with pick 12 imo

Where do you fit the 10 midfielders?

3 starting on ball, 2 wings and 2 on the bench makes 7. Then you would have players rotating from forward and back flanks to have a run on ball. Notice how I didn't mention Blease, Tapscott, Bennell, Pettard, Grimes, Howe, Davey, Jetta, Nicholson and strauss who fill those roles. I am very keen on Both O'Meara and Crouch but would love to hold onto as many early picks for next year as well. I just think with such a growing midfield we would be better suited to off load a talented player like Gysberts now and retain a compo pick for next year.

This is wrong. Trengove is the only class player their. If you look at Collingwood, Geelong and StKilda's midfield you need depth and topline quality. Sylvia isn't even a midfielder and besides Moloney the others need a lot of work to be top line, that said we won't have too many. We need them to push each other along.

If we think O'Meara or Crouch are potential guns then they are worth 2 first round picks. You'd give that up for a Trengove, Martin, D. Swallow, Fyfe any day.

Took the words out of my mouth. People still don't get the fact you need a dozen quality midfielders in your team these days. The more quality we have running through the midfield the better! Crouch or O'Meara would be gold.

And to offer up Gysberts would be utter craziness. He is one of the players we are building our future on. Our youngsters are off limits.

And if we can secure Crouch or O'Meara with only 1 of our compo picks(and maybe a sweetener like a fringe player or a late draft pick), then I say we are big winners! This way, we still have a high pick this year and next(including picking up Viney)! We could see 4 very very handy players join our list in the next 2 years! Make it happen Harrington & co....

GF, What in your opinion would it take to get P1&2?

2x$cully compo, P12 and a player?

Not sure if that would get it done but if we threw in Maric/Bate/Warnock or a combination of all three packaged with those picks and secure pick 1 & 2 in the mini-draft whilst retaining our normal pick set aside for jack viney it would mean we would get Viney, Crouch and O'Meara in 2013. WOWEE

Remove this Banner Ad

GWS Mini-Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back