GWS Theme - Best since new clubs started being added

Remove this Banner Ad

It's a brilliant club song. Harry nailed it.

To the few who are criticizing the music for "sounding like a Communist anthem", I'm not quite sure what your point is? You say it "sounds like a Communist anthem".... and? So what? What's your point? That's a bad thing.... how?

Do you kids even know where the traditional Vic club's (and some of the interstate club's) songs came from? Pretty much all of them are just complete rip-offs of things arguably far more lame than something that possibly "sounds like a Communist Anthem"...

Adelaide - US Marines Hymn (great thing to base it on... shame about the production...)

[youtube]3gWu1gpG3ys&feature=fvst[/youtube]

Brisbane - French National Anthem (see above)

[youtube]4K1q9Ntcr5g[/youtube]

Carlton - Lily of Laguna (skip to 1:30s)

[youtube]R6l6djoLPRE[/youtube]

Collingwood - Goodbye Dolly Gray (skip to 0:50s)

[youtube]dvvNbV5IORM[/youtube]

Essendon - Keep Your Sunnyside Up

[youtube]MCN9KIPfMPE[/youtube]

Hawthorn - Yankee Doodle Dandy (Bwahahahahahahahahahaha!)

[youtube]2R1jiVcIGcg[/youtube]

etc...
etc..
etc.

Not sure why "sounding like a Communist anthem" is in any way a negative thing. I think it's pretty ****ing cool myself. And in fact, whether it was intentional or not, I love how Harry has basically linked the "hugeness" of the Soviet Union to the "hugeness" of the "Giants."

It works.

End of story.

And as to the Russian theme ...

As far as draft picks go, quantity has a quality all of it's own.

Train hard, fight easy.

And Mr Bullet is a silly fellow, but Mr Bayonet is your friend.

Awesome song and very catchy! Up there with the Richmond theme song. :thumbsu:

I love it even more after spotting Setanta singing it like a 'dErP' in the clip below. 0:07 and 0:30 for the LOLs. :D

[YOUTUBE]k11BARqKdTs[/YOUTUBE]

Setanta o'hAilpin should be re-signed for another year for this clip alone.

And its terrifying to know that the young dErP in that clip with the stupid hat is our leading goalkicker.

I was one that didn't like it. But sung by the players after a win, it wasn't bad.

Also with the jumper, good to see they've added an extra orange t at the bottom to balance it out a bit.

I've been saying all along, they're building something exciting out there.

Also with the jumper, good to see they've added an extra orange t at the bottom to balance it out a bit.
That's their Canberra jersey.

It's a brilliant club song. Harry nailed it.

To the few who are criticizing the music for "sounding like a Communist anthem", I'm not quite sure what your point is? You say it "sounds like a Communist anthem".... and? So what? What's your point? That's a bad thing.... how?

I think their point is it sounds like a communist anthem. I don't think anyone is suggesting it is a bad thing. I hear the communist thing too and it is my favourite club song!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think their point is it sounds like a communist anthem. I don't think anyone is suggesting it is a bad thing. I hear the communist thing too and it is my favourite club song!

Its more like Jewish folk music

I think their point is it sounds like a communist anthem. I don't think anyone is suggesting it is a bad thing.

"Sounds like a communist anthem witrh the music.
Sounds really good when sung by the players."
- rossi

"When I first heard it at the ground yesterday, I thought it sounded pretty silly with the music. As others have said, it reminded me a lot of an old Russian folk anthem" - Dory_77

There are 2 comments criticizing the music for sounding "Russian." Not to mention quite a few other comments that say "the music sounds silly but it sounds great when sung by the players." (which I'm guessing is for the same reason)

And that's not even mentioning the first thread a few months ago (which you obviously missed) where probably half the people in the thread were criticizing it for "sounding Russian."

My point is that:

a) There is nothing wrong with it "sounding Russian."
b) Sounding "Russian" actually fits with the Giants. (largeness of the Soviet Union/Russia = largeness of the Giants)
c) It is no more "silly" than basing your club song on "Yankee Doodle Dandy" or "Keep Your Sunnyside Up"

Let's face it, all our club songs are pretty stupid and are quite unique to our game. Harry tried to capture that, and absolutely nailed it.

:)

The test of a good club theme song is how it sounds when the players sing it in the changerooms after a win and the GWS song sounds great and you can tell the players love singing it too which is important.

I agree with that, but what I heard wasn't exactly 'singing'! A lot of club songs would sound better if players actually did sing the words instead of just shouting, because there are some good tunes going to waste. I don't expect players to be Pavarotti, and it doesn't matter if they can't sing in tune, but an attempt wouldn't go astray.

"Sounds like a communist anthem witrh the music.
Sounds really good when sung by the players." - rossi

"When I first heard it at the ground yesterday, I thought it sounded pretty silly with the music. As others have said, it reminded me a lot of an old Russian folk anthem" - Dory_77

There are 2 comments criticizing the music for sounding "Russian." Not to mention quite a few other comments that say "the music sounds silly but it sounds great when sung by the players." (which I'm guessing is for the same reason)

And that's not even mentioning the first thread a few months ago (which you obviously missed) where probably half the people in the thread were criticizing it for "sounding Russian."

My point is that:

a) There is nothing wrong with it "sounding Russian."
b) Sounding "Russian" actually fits with the Giants. (largeness of the Soviet Union/Russia = largeness of the Giants)
c) It is no more "silly" than basing your club song on "Yankee Doodle Dandy" or "Keep Your Sunnyside Up"

Let's face it, all our club songs are pretty stupid and are quite unique to our game. Harry tried to capture that, and absolutely nailed it.

:)
I wasn't criticising it for being 'Russian' sounding, more that the music didn't seem fitting for a club anthem. It seemed too 'fiddly' and I thought it just sounded odd as a club song with the music behind it, I couldn't really picture the players, or fans, belting it out; but when sung in the rooms it sounded great.

This is by a long, long way the best theme song made for a new club that's entered the competition. It's nice and traditional, it actually makes you want to stand, clap and sing along to it.

GC, WCE, Freo, Port, Bears (Not Lions) are all absolute piss. Adelaide's was horrid but they fixed it up in recent years and sounds a lot better.

They've actually fixed up Freo's too now, the new version is a lot better IMO:

Freo

But I agree, the first time I heard it I couldn't resist singing along, and I'm a Swans supporter.

Remove this Banner Ad

GWS Theme - Best since new clubs started being added

Remove this Banner Ad

Back