Ha! Eagles took Dick!

Remove this Banner Ad

There was an article in today's paper saying we'd cooled on him and weren't going to pick him up.

Well we waited until our very last pick to take him, which sort of says to me we didn't plan on selecting him earlier and after you guys passed over him 4 times already we decided to grab Dick.

A 10,000 to 1 chance. The kid can play but jeez he's breakable. Would have been happier if you guys look him TBH.

EDIT: Re: Menagola. The big query I have there is his height. If he's 192 cm as I've seen people mention occasionally, then it makes perfect sense. If he's only 188-189 as I've seen elsewhere (and which I think is actually the case) then it's harder to figure out where he'll fit in.

I will never get this obsession over 30-40mm...
Fyfe is listed as 186cm and doesn't have a problem taking a contested mark and on the other hand barlow, mundy and morabito are 190 -192 and all play midfield.

Fyfe is listed as 186cm and doesn't have a problem taking a contested mark and on the other hand barlow, mundy and morabito are 190 -192 and all play midfield.

Barlow, Mundy and Morabito have all either played as midfielders (or in defense as a third tall in Mundy's case). The extra height is handy for them, but not as important as it is for a leading forward, which is what Menagola was.

He's too short to play as a leading forward in the AFL, hence we are turning him into a wingman/midfielder.

On top of the 30-40 mm in height, add another 15-20 mm or so for arm length and it ends up being a bigger deal.

Fyfe is a freak, not the general rule. Mayne is Menagola's height and you've seen how well he's gone as a key forward.

My point is, Menagola can play a role on a half forward flank or wing. But there's no way he'll be a key forward in the AFL. We have quite a few options on a half forward flank now, which is why I wasn't sure how we are planning to use him. Depth maybe?

Fyfe was listed at 186cm from when he joined the club. He stated himself when interviewed by Jako earlier this year after a stellar game (can't remember which one) that he was now 191cm and Jacko commented that he was still taller at 193cm. They lined each other up and Jacko was just about a cm taller. 191cm with Avatar arms and hands is why he gets up to take the contested mark.

EDIT: Re: Menagola. The big query I have there is his height. If he's 192 cm as I've seen people mention occasionally, then it makes perfect sense. If he's only 188-189 as I've seen elsewhere (and which I think is actually the case) then it's harder to figure out where he'll fit in.

Sounds like he is a similar size to Ibbo. More than likely some of these rookies/draftees will never make the grade anyway. Probably Crozier, Spur, Dawson and Sheridan (my spelling may be off) will get games (and maybe Forster). Others may not ever play.

Remove this Banner Ad

Ha! Eagles took Dick!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back