Hall of Fame 2007 Inductees????

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thats true that they made Baldock a legend and he played alot of football in Tasmania but it is the AFL Hall of Fame not the VFL/WAFL/SANFL Hall of Fame. Barrie Robran is a legend and never played VFL/AFL but his contribution was great enough that they deem him a legend.

Fair enough I say

I'm pretty sure it is called the Australian Football Hall of Fame.

These are my nominees of the Hall of Fame this year:

Graham Cornes (Glenelg/Nth Melb/Sth Adel/Adelaide Crows)
Garry McIntosh (Norwood)
Brian Peake (East Frem/Geel)
Stephen Michael (Sth Frem)
Robert Wiley (West Perth/Richmond/West Coast)
Bruce Abernethy (Port Adel Magpies/Coll/Nth Melb/Adelaide Crows)
Greg Phillips (Port Adelaide Magpies/Collingwood)
Fred Cook (Yarraville/Port Melbourne)
Phil Cleary (Coburg)

Thats true that they made Baldock a legend and he played alot of football in Tasmania but it is the AFL Hall of Fame not the VFL/WAFL/SANFL Hall of Fame. Barrie Robran is a legend and never played VFL/AFL but his contribution was great enough that they deem him a legend.

Fair enough I say

Still reckon he was the most skilled and certainly the best wet weather footballer I have ever seen. The only Saint to captain a VFL premiership side.

It's the VFL/AFL hall of fame.

If you want, you can build a SANFL hall of fame. We wont care, same as we don't care about SANFL flags either:thumbsu:

Actually it's the Australian Football Hall of Fame, not the AFL Hall of Fame. I have no problems with it being dominated by Victorians, but it should recgonise those competitions outside the V/AFL . That's one of the main reasons why the WAFL, SANFL and Tassie Football set up their own Hall of Fame.

Next year with the 150th anniversary of the game, I would like the Australian Football Hall of Fame to set up a Pioneers Section and induct maybe 20 or 30 people to pay tribute to them for setting up footy competitons in the minor states and territories.

An example of what I'm talking about is Brother John Pye who took footy to the Tiwi Islands in 1941. He was still alive when the Tiwi Islands combined team started playing in the NTFL in the 2006/07 season. Our game is so much better because of pioners like Brother Pye. You can check out info of him at that great Full Points Footy site.

http://www.fullpointsfooty.net/brother_pye.htm

Do you think it's time the AFL also inducted players from the VFA/VFL like Fred Cook, Phil Cleary, George Allen, Bill Swan?

Plenty of room for VFA players.

Fred Cook would make it, as would Mick Martyn's Dad Bryan. Throw in "Frosty" Miller, Phil Cleary and someone like Rex Hunt from his days at Sandringham and that would help. Even big Stephen Allender would get a run, along with "Buster" Harkins! Billy Swan, "Chops" Rickman and big Jack Aziz too :p

So this is how I see the VFA/VFL inductees inthe Australian Football Hall of Fame:

PLAYERS/COACHES:
Fred Cook
Phil Cleary
George Allen
Steve Allender
Alf Beus
Bill Swan
Jack Aziz
Jim 'Frosty' Miller
Eddie Melai*
Ian Rickman
Graham 'Buster' Harland
Gary Brice
Norm Goss snr*
Norm Goss jnr
Trevor Barker*
Harold Martin
Frank Rugolo
Nick Sautner

MEDIA:
Phil Gibbs
Don Hyde
Peter Gee
Ross Booth
Tom Lahiff
Harry Beitzel

UMPIRES:
Frank Vergona
Graham Marcy
Jeff Ryan

ADMINISTRATORS
J.J. Liston

*deceased

So this is how I see the VFA/VFL inductees inthe Australian Football Hall of Fame:

PLAYERS/COACHES:
Fred Cook
Phil Cleary
George Allen
Steve Allender
Alf Beus
Bill Swan
Jack Aziz
Jim 'Frosty' Miller
Eddie Melai*
Ian Rickman
Graham 'Buster' Harland
Gary Brice
Norm Goss snr*
Norm Goss jnr
Trevor Barker*
Harold Martin
Frank Rugolo
Nick Sautner

MEDIA:
Phil Gibbs
Don Hyde
Peter Gee
Ross Booth
Tom Lahiff
Harry Beitzel

UMPIRES:
Frank Vergona
Graham Marcy
Jeff Ryan

ADMINISTRATORS
J.J. Liston

*deceased

What about Ron Todd? 188 goals in a year.

Here are my 2007 Hall of Fame Inductees

Graham Cornes
Dean Kemp
Paul Kelly
Neil Roberts
Murray Weidemann
Paul Couch

Look forward to hearing everyones critcisms or agreeances

surely this should be renamed the australian rules hall off fame, it should encompass all people that have made huge contributions to australian rules football. this vic'sentric view that the only people that are to be inducted should be people that played in the vfl/afl is rediculous, the world didnt start when victoria said it would, they arent the be all and end all, there are another few states and territorys which have just as much significance to australian rules football as victoria does.
I agree very much. "AFL" is not the correct name for the sport, and it certainly should cover those who did not play in the VFL before wealthy sponsorship and television deals allowed it to attract all the top players in the game.

Also, the eligibility rules are very bad. Compared with the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, where artists are eligible twenty-five years after releasing their first recording, allowing players to be eligible three years after retirement is ridiculous. It should be increased to ten years after retirement or perhaps even a little more than that, and coaches should be eligible on the same grounds. It is true that music is a very different kettle of fish from sports and much longer is required to ascertain the importance of an individual, but the present AFL system places a premium on the present that is not desirable

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back