Happy Australia Day 2024!!

Remove this Banner Ad

3rd March 1986

The final step to full sovereignty was the passing of the Australia Act 1986 in the UK. The Act removed the right of the British Parliament to make laws for Australia and ended any British role in the government of the Australian States.[115] It also removed the right of appeal from Australian courts to the British Privy Council in London. Most important, the Act transferred into Australian hands full control of all Australia's constitutional documents
Such a dry, dull thing on which to base a national day, though. We should have had a proper war of indpendence.

Maybe we should have some military exercises with the Brits, and they let us win, on a day agreed in advance. Flags and party poppers!

Just change the date already. Sick of being made to feel guilty for celebrating Australia day.
Yep I feel the same, I used to love celebrating Australia day. I wish they would pick a different date so everyone could celebrate again but unfortunately i can't see the government changing it any time soon.

Such a dry, dull thing on which to base a national day, though. We should have had a proper war of indpendence.

Maybe we should have some military exercises with the Brits, and they let us win, on a day agreed in advance. Flags and party poppers!
Even if it's just war gaming, they'd probably find a way to get our blokes killed.

Yep I feel the same, I used to love celebrating Australia day. I wish they would pick a different date so everyone could celebrate again but unfortunately i can't see the government changing it any time soon.
Australia Day has never been a big thing for me, but I do think it's a shame we don't have a national day that's not overshadowed with controversy every year. But any other date is likely to be pretty meaningless, it'll just be "the date we chose to get away from 26 Jan".

Australia Day has never been a big thing for me, but I do think it's a shame we don't have a national day that's not overshadowed with controversy every year. But any other date is likely to be pretty meaningless, it'll just be "the date we chose to get away from 26 Jan".
I do like that was a cost saving element in some of the protests yesterday with Palestinian marches joining in. ;)

th

The current approach by those wanting to change the date isn't working. More than 60% of Australia are actively against changing the date and less than 20% are actively for a change.

No politician is going to change the date based on those numbers. They will at least need more people in the "don't care either way" basket. Yelling at people and calling them racists isn't going to do that.

The current approach by those wanting to change the date isn't working. More than 60% of Australia are actively against changing the date and less than 20% are actively for a change.

No politician is going to change the date based on those numbers. They will at least need more people in the "don't care either way" basket. Yelling at people and calling them racists isn't going to do that.
Are they calling Jacinta Nampijinpa Price a racist as well?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why is this thread even on the main board in the first place?

I guess you can't be a heroic soldier in the culture wars by posting increasingly demented things about imaginary enemies on a football forum if no one is reading the thread you do it in.

Just change the date already. Sick of being made to feel guilty for celebrating Australia day.
Yeah, it's far different now to when I was a kid.

We need to find a new date where all Australians feel comfortable celebrating.

Best date would be when we become a Republic, but probably can't wait that long.

Yeah, it's far different now to when I was a kid.

We need to find a new date where all Australians feel comfortable celebrating.

Best date would be when we become a Republic, but probably can't wait that long.
Can’t see it ever happening, people always have to be upset with something.
Just look at that woman opposing the crows new home and anything else she looks at.

Can’t see it ever happening, people always have to be upset with something.
Just look at that woman opposing the crows new home and anything else she looks at.
Ok, make that the vast majority... ignoring those who are never happy!

Currently around 50/50 think we should celebrate on 26th January, so we have a major problem that can't be resolved without changing the date.

Ok, make that the vast majority... ignoring those who are never happy!

Currently around 50/50 think we should celebrate on 26th January, so we have a major problem that can't be resolved without changing the date.
I don’t know the figures but someone above said it’s still a fair majority to keep it?

I don’t know the figures but someone above said it’s still a fair majority to keep it?
No, it's closer to 50/50 now (edit 60/40).

Surely you feel that Australia Day is no longer celebrated like it was a decade ago.

We can't keep going on like this & find another day thay (nearly) all feel comfortable celebrating.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back