News Hardwick Quits as coach of Richmond: Press Conference at 10:30am Tuesday

Remove this Banner Ad

Bizarre time to decide he needs a break.

I mean why not before this season or after it.

I reckon his break is now so he’ll be open to coaching in 2024.

Dew or Voss in deep trouble if he is back in 24.
Cos he'd already decided this year was going to be his last and then figured if that's the case and while he's not getting anywhere near the best out of the team he might as well step aside now so the club can get a head start on finding the replacement.

For what it's worth, here is the DEFINITIVE list of teams that were closest to a four-peat:

1. Brisbane Lions - 2001/02/03 (Premiers) and 2004 (Grand Finalists)

2. Hawthorn Hawks - 2013/14/15 (Premiers) and 2016 (Semi-finalists)

That's it. That's the list.

All that being said though, Dimma is an absolute champion of the sport and an even greater champion of the Richmond footy club. Went out on his own terms and was incredibly gracious as he left. What a legend!

2. Hawthorn Hawks - 2012 (Losing Grandfinalist) 2013/14/15 (Premiers) and 2016 (Semi-finalists)

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Collingwood 4 in a row still stands never to be broken either.

bit like Don Bradmans average 99.94 some records will never be beaten.

As said tigers are doomed no hardwick no tigers

2. Hawthorn Hawks - 2012 (Losing Grandfinalist) 2013/14/15 (Premiers) and 2016 (Semi-finalists)

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk
The 2012 GF loss is irrelevant though. They win against the Swans and there's no guarantee they come close the next year. You gotta win 3 in a row to be close to 4 in a row.

I nominate Matthew Knights

Club legend. Great career. Took on one of the toughest coaching jobs in footy and will forever go down as a GOAT.

Be interesting to see if he continues on at another club.

Makes sense. There is nothing more shameful than losing to Essendon.

And unfortunately, that heartbreaking one point defeat against Essendon (with some Stringer magic) will be forever known as the match that ended Richmond’s golden era.

All empires eventually fall.

Who are you and what have you done with Elmer_Judd?

Agree though, was a great presser. A nice, clean breakup. Still, I would've liked to see him coach one more game for a send off.
Compare that press conference with Damien Hardwick earlier today to the one where the then St Kilda president Rod Buttress and coach Grant Thomas had to sit next to each other after Buttress sacked Thomas at St Kilda. You could tell by the body language that Buttress and Thomas didn't want to be there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can’t say I have seen a lot of Brendan Gales interviews, but he seemed very quiet and almost gave an annoyed vibe. May be completely misreading situation

Do have to admire Hardwicks love for his players and noted he will miss them more than the silverware.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

was a look of genuine sadness, watching an era officially close by saying goodbye to his combative general who he has been in the trenches with for 13 years

How much say did Hardwick have in the decision to get Taranto and Hopper? And how would they be feeling now? I bet Hardwick resigning before the mid season bye want discussed when they were signing 7 year deals.

Great coach and I respect his decision to step away once he didn't have the passion and drive to keep going. But trading out of 2 drafts for a couple of good but not elite midfielders on long deals is a fair turd sandwich to leave for the next coach.

Bizarre time to decide he needs a break.

I mean why not before this season or after it.

I reckon his break is now so he’ll be open to coaching in 2024.

Dew or Voss in deep trouble if he is back in 24.
Reckon that it allows a quick reset for the tigers.
A chance to get a couple of draft picks in for aging stars

Can’t say I have seen a lot of Brendan Gales interviews, but he seemed very quiet and almost gave an annoyed vibe. May be completely misreading situation

Do have to admire Hardwicks love for his players and noted he will miss them more than the silverware.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
On the latter, it's a nice sentiment, but does it really stand up to scrutiny? Would anyone bother wasting their breath trying to argue that Hardwick would still have been burnt out if his team was 6-3-1, instead of 3-6-1?

Reckon that it allows a quick reset for the tigers.
A chance to get a couple of draft picks in for aging stars
For who? An injury prone Lynch and Prestia? You'd be lucky to get a pick in the 20s for each considering their injuries and age. Nobody else makes much sense since they either have no value or are young enough to want to keep. And that wouldn't even make up for the first round pick they've already given up this draft.

How much say did Hardwick have in the decision to get Taranto and Hopper? And how would they be feeling now? I bet Hardwick resigning before the mid season bye want discussed when they were signing 7 year deals.

Great coach and I respect his decision to step away once he didn't have the passion and drive to keep going. But trading out of 2 drafts for a couple of good but not elite midfielders on long deals is a fair turd sandwich to leave for the next coach.
Leaving a (likely) B&F winner in Taranto in his prime, playing career best footy and top 20 in the coaches votes in a shite team is leaving a turd sandwich for the next coach? :drunk:

Given we won't be going a full ground up rebuild I'd say the next coach will be pretty stoked to have those 2 guys there at their peak at his disposal. The no 1st round pick this year will sting a bit but it's far from disaster.

Clarko doesn't seem to have the fire to coach to the level he use to, and after a few flags you can understand that.

Dimma the same.
The difference between Dimma and Clarko is that I have no doubt Clarko still has the fire in the belly to coach, and wants to bring success to North. It's why he took on the role in the first place. That ambition and resolve hasn't wavered.

What has weighed him down (that Dimma hasn't had to experience) has been all the bullshit he's had to deal with regarding the farcical racism investigation.

I expect he'll be back, it's just a matter of time.

Leaving a (likely) B&F winner in Taranto in his prime, playing career best footy and top 20 in the coaches votes in a shite team is leaving a turd sandwich for the next coach? :drunk:

Given we won't be going a full ground up rebuild I'd say the next coach will be pretty stoked to have those 2 guys there at their peak at his disposal. The no 1st round pick this year will sting a bit but it's far from disaster.
I've always said getting one or the other would've been good but getting both was a waste. You give up high picks and a huge chunk of your cap for 2 very similar players that have little versatility.

You did that after investing a lot in midfielders at the draft. So even if guys like Dow, Ralphsmith, Clarke, Sonsie, Banks, etc step up as hoped there are limited midfield minutes available for them. Best case you're left hoping these guys are more versatile than Hopper and Taranto.

So a new coach will be left with a very unbalanced list packed with mids and developing mids and thin on key position players and natural forwards and defenders that aren't aging rapidly. Meanwhile the salary for Hopper and Taranto limits their ability to bring in free agents and you're locked in on both for 7 years.

It's a massive long-term commitment seemingly from a guy who knew he wasn't going to be there for long.

I've always said getting one or the other would've been good but getting both was a waste. You give up high picks and a huge chunk of your cap for 2 very similar players that have little versatility.

You did that after investing a lot in midfielders at the draft. So even if guys like Dow, Ralphsmith, Clarke, Sonsie, Banks, etc step up as hoped there are limited midfield minutes available for them. Best case you're left hoping these guys are more versatile than Hopper and Taranto.

So a new coach will be left with a very unbalanced list packed with mids and developing mids and thin on key position players and natural forwards and defenders that aren't aging rapidly. Meanwhile the salary for Hopper and Taranto limits their ability to bring in free agents and you're locked in on both for 7 years.

It's a massive long-term commitment seemingly from a guy who knew he wasn't going to be there for long.
Ralphsmith, Clarke and Banks aren't midfielders. Dow is a bust and hopefully delisted this year. Sonsie is very different to both Hopper and Taranto and should complement them both well. He will slot in for Cotchin next year. Prestia is 30.5 and injury prone. Dusty is 32.

Outside of Hopper, Taranto, Sonsie and Bolton our midfield cupboard from 2024 onwards is pretty bare.

Whoever steps in to coach will be glad to have them both.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Hardwick Quits as coach of Richmond: Press Conference at 10:30am Tuesday

Remove this Banner Ad

Back