News Hardwick Quits as coach of Richmond: Press Conference at 10:30am Tuesday

Remove this Banner Ad

No better man to enjoy life and coaching down in Tasmania. If they want Tassie to chase finals success early. They need him as part of the puzzle

Almost a joke? Nah...we were a joke. A lot have forgotten of the rabble the Tiges were when he took over. We were worse than Fitzroy was the norm at the time. He played a key role in completely rebuilding the list. Through the GWS and Suns expansion years. His achievements were phenomenal. He lost his way in '16 but quickly realised the error in his ways and the rest is history.

What needs to also be called out and I'm not sure if he covered this off in this presser but his assistants from '17 onwards were a key part of our success. And I really do mean KEY!. He was an excellent players manager but it was his assistants who helped deliver the flags. They deserve as many kudos and Dimma does.

Thanks for everything Dimma. All the very best!!
What I don't think is fully appreciated is the effort to change a long term losing culture to a winning one. It's why he needs to be highly regarded in the same way Leigh Mathews broke the drought at Collingwood in 1990 and whoever finally leads Carlton out of the quagmire

No better man to enjoy life and coaching down in Tasmania. If they want Tassie to chase finals success early. They need him as part of the puzzle
What’s he do in the mean time though? Far too much of a gap between now and when the team kicks off.

I've always said getting one or the other would've been good but getting both was a waste. You give up high picks and a huge chunk of your cap for 2 very similar players that have little versatility.

You did that after investing a lot in midfielders at the draft. So even if guys like Dow, Ralphsmith, Clarke, Sonsie, Banks, etc step up as hoped there are limited midfield minutes available for them. Best case you're left hoping these guys are more versatile than Hopper and Taranto.

So a new coach will be left with a very unbalanced list packed with mids and developing mids and thin on key position players and natural forwards and defenders that aren't aging rapidly. Meanwhile the salary for Hopper and Taranto limits their ability to bring in free agents and you're locked in on both for 7 years.

It's a massive long-term commitment seemingly from a guy who knew he wasn't going to be there for long.
Cotchin and Riewoldt retire this year frees up a nice sum of money.

Dusty’s 7 years ends next season. More dollars freed up.

Tom Lynch’s 7 years ends in 2025. More dollars freed up.

Grimes, Prestia and whoever else in the next two seasons.

I think you could be hearing about a Richmond war chest throughout 2024/25.

Over the last couple of years his demeanour has changed, including his inability to slap away media interrogation.
I think it’s the right call now to allow the club time to find a another coach that can continue the current list transition.
The clubs well aware of where it’s list is at and has been transitioning on the run as every club does.
All the best Dimma …….. we tigers have had a blast over the last 13 years and it was one hell of a ride!!

I call bullshit on being mentally drained he went all in on a flag and went well can't win one

Might as well get a nice payout then try ay another club

I call bullshit on being mentally drained he went all in on a flag and went well can't win one

Might as well get a nice payout then try ay another club

Recruiting 2 established players from other clubs in 2019-20-21-22 combined is going "all in" on a flag?

I don't think so. Richmond required 2 mids and still requires an established key forward in order to be competitive. From there you could be mid table or actually contend, nobody at any club knows that in advance, and the convenient narrative that Richmond sold the farm is just foolish.

All things being equal the club will have added 6 top 30 picks to the list in 3 off seasons including 2023. And added Hopper and Taranto in trades to keep the team competitive.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dimma was wonderful because he caused us to be hated again and the salt caused by his team was wonderful. Seeing oppo fans on the main board cry over Richmond was a delight to see for many years. What a man

Cotchin and Riewoldt retire this year frees up a nice sum of money.

Dusty’s 7 years ends next season. More dollars freed up.

Tom Lynch’s 7 years ends in 2025. More dollars freed up.

Grimes, Prestia and whoever else in the next two seasons.

I think you could be hearing about a Richmond war chest throughout 2024/25.

You could say this exact same thing about all 18 clubs... ?

Recruiting 2 established players from other clubs in 2019-20-21-22 combined is going "all in" on a flag?

I don't think so. Richmond required 2 mids and still requires an established key forward in order to be competitive. From there you could be mid table or actually contend, nobody at any club knows that in advance, and the convenient narrative that Richmond sold the farm is just foolish.

All things being equal the club will have added 6 top 30 picks to the list in 3 off seasons including 2023. And added Hopper and Taranto in trades to keep the team competitive.
Couldn’t agree more …….. the ‘sold the farm’ narrative is laughable. Success in the AFL is rewarded with silverware AND limited access to high end draft talent, including losing established players seeking greater opportunity ……. Butler, Higgins, Chol, Ellis, CCJ.
Adding Taranto and Hopper isn’t only an investment in the short term, but long term to be surrounded by new additions draft/trade, it was not that long ago Cotch and Co were viewed as a team going nowhere FAST ……. Nah, I’m optimistic that the recruiters and development team can get it done again with a pinch of luck, timing and choosing someone to lead another batch of Richmond Men!!

Dimma is only 50 so he could come back to coach Richmond after they undergo four or five failed five year plans
Not sure at 75 he’d be interested ……. although I wonder if Blighty could help you guys out, I mean its been five years and counting of your five year plans and to date ……… SQUAT!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back