Traded Harley Bennell [traded with #22 to Fremantle for #16 and #35]

Remove this Banner Ad

I spoke to an ex WCE player the day before the GF in Melbourne. He showed me texts from othe WCE ex players stating Buddy allegedly had 3 strikes when he had the 8 week "mystery injury". He's now allegedly on strike #5 and it's been covered up since his 3rd so the AFL have got a PR nightmare on their hands when this comes out.

Ex Eagle player who is all chatty about drug issues who was the GF.

Can't imagine who it could be...

Was a bit disappointed that we didn't land Bennell, but I have a very good source who saw him absolutely hammered off his head in the wee hours before he was supposed to take a medical. I still think he would have turned out okay though, we've been through similar times with Dusty - albeit not as severe. Good luck to Harley; I think Freo absolutely won out on this deal. Hope he turns his life around in his home state and proves doubters wrong.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I disagree. He has massive potential but a 1st rounder for a bloke no one else really wanted (by all accounts, may be wrong and there was another club in the running) and someone who has the track record he does is probably about right if not overs, particularly given a 3rd rounder was thrown in too.

How do young know hat other clubs wanted or don't want? Using your logic you could say no one else wanted josh Gibson, Brian Lake, Josh Kennedy (WC), Josh Kennedy (Syd), Shaw(GWS), any draft pick after 36.

Nice work by the Suns. Very professional trading. They had a contracted player on their list they didn't want any more, and ensured he got to his preferred destination quickly and with a minimum of fuss. They did not make unreasonable demands of Freo. Deal gets done, all parties move on. Bravo.
Are you kidding? Freo got the bargain deal of the trade period, unbelievable how cheap he has gone. If I were a GC supporter I'd be pretty disappointed.

Whatever you say about Bennell, his on field performance has never been affected by his off field stuff.

Are you kidding? Freo got the bargain deal of the trade period, unbelievable how cheap he has gone. If I were a GC supporter I'd be pretty disappointed.

Whatever you say about Bennell, his on field performance has never been affected by his off field stuff.
Neither did it effect cuz on field, the simple fact is regardless of on field performance most clubs don't want dickheads at their club... Most clubs.

How do young know hat other clubs wanted or don't want? Using your logic you could say no one else wanted josh Gibson, Brian Lake, Josh Kennedy (WC), Josh Kennedy (Syd), Shaw(GWS), any draft pick after 36.
For a start, its well documented that Gold Coast, Richmond and Collingwood all have considered his services in depth and decided against it, all clubs who are in worse positions than Freo. These are just the publicly reported accounts, im 100% sure a similar thing happened at other clubs who are much worse off than Freo.

For a start, its well documented that Gold Coast, Richmond and Collingwood all have considered his services in depth and decided against it, all clubs who are in worse positions than Freo. These are just the publicly reported accounts, im 100% sure a similar thing happened at other clubs who are much worse off than Freo.
He wanted to go to Perth. That is a big factor as to why some clubs may not have wanted him.

think the tigers pulled out of that one... like i said good luck freo.

I was excited until the club did their research on bennell and pulled out. Once that happened i was happy to see him go elsewhere.

Well at least lyon speaking to Bennell puts to bed the fantasy that Bennell was already locked and loaded with an offer before he met the tigers. After the weekend when we walked, those at freo went from, lets get him to being very wary till ross spoke to him again this week.

I would think the fact that he's been in town to meet up with potential suitors, only to hit the town without a care and then be ruled out by them points to him being a little troubled.

It appears that Bennell was always committed to Fremantle and was never serious about joining Richmond. That's why Richmond "went cold on him" and not for the myriad of rubbish reasons being suggested on here.

Asked on NAB AFL Trade Radio on Thursday if he was disappointed with how Bennell presented himself, Dan Richardson said, "Yeah, we were.

"We flew him over from Perth to find out a little bit more about him and where he's at, and we don't feel he gave that process a great deal of respect.

"Nor did his management, and that's why we moved on."

"He's now a Fremantle player," Richardson said.

"Maybe that's the way it was going all along, which is the reason why it transpired with us the way that it did."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-10-15/bennell-disrespected-tigers-during-trade-talks

Last edited:
It appears that Bennell was always committed to Fremantle and was never serious about joining Richmond. That's why Richmond "went cold on him" and not for the myriad of rubbish reasons being suggested on here.

Asked on NAB AFL Trade Radio on Thursday if he was disappointed with how Bennell presented himself, Dan Richardson said, "Yeah, we were.

"We flew him over from Perth to find out a little bit more about him and where he's at, and we don't feel he gave that process a great deal of respect.

"Nor did his management, and that's why we moved on."

"He's now a Fremantle player," Richardson said.

"Maybe that's the way it was going all along, which is the reason why it transpired with us the way that it did."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-10-15/bennell-disrespected-tigers-during-trade-talks
Well hes hardly going to say "we scratched the surface and didn't like what we found" on trade radio now is he?

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded Harley Bennell [traded with #22 to Fremantle for #16 and #35]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back