Speculation Harley Reid

Remove this Banner Ad

Sphynx

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 10, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Preface this thread by saying it's purely here, on a public board for public discussion of Reid's contract developments.

More than likely an extension in some form.

It's more a public discussion place on the terms of the deal, as Harley is a bit of a test case in Australian Sport at the moment for domestic max earning capacity.

He's also a sample case surrounding some of the newer rules and functions around 3 year draftee contracts. I've seen Eagle fans allude to re-draw functions within the 3rd year of a draftee's contract, but I'm yet to see that confirmed anywhere and seems at odds with some of Jon Ralph's recent articles.

He's also a test case of post draft contract, max long term deals and how they might look into the 2030's with more TPP increases and CBA agreements.

Jon Ralph has stated that Reid's management may request up to $2m for his fourth season as compensation (for want of a better word) for loss of earning capacity due to the 3rd year, for a 1 year extension. Interesting if this becomes the norm for bigger name draftees.

Ralph has also stated that $18m x 10 year offers could be tabled by Victorian clubs, with him raising Essendon specifically as the most interested.

1719363558143.png

Brace Yourself Here We Go GIF by MOODMAN

So lets think this through.
Move to Melbourne and the shi**y weather (and state) that comes with it.
Get paid lots of money.
And play in front of large crowds most weeks.
Or
Stay in Perth with the nice weather.
Get paid the same huge amount of money.
Be idolized by the state and probably never have to pay for a thing again.
Play in front of packed out screaming fans every second week.
The one thing I will give WC fans, is that they turn up whether their team is good, or crap.
You can't not admire that.

If I were him, I would stay where I am and I hope he goes well, as the kid is going to be a star for many, many years.

So lets think this through.
Move to Melbourne and the shi**y weather (and state) that comes with it.
Get paid lots of money.
And play in front of large crowds most weeks.
Or
Stay in Perth with the nice weather.
Get paid the same huge amount of money.
Be idolized by the state and probably never have to pay for a thing again.
Play in front of packed out screaming fans every second week.
The one thing I will give WC fans, is that they turn up whether their team is good, or crap.
You can't not admire that.

If I were him, I would stay where I am and I hope he goes well, as the kid is going to be a star for many, many years.

How do you know he will be paid the same amount of money at WCE?

Generally that is incorrect vs players who have moved clubs at least once on a major deal.

With the mooted figures, he might earn $18m over 10 if he moves.

What if the earning capacity is $13m ($1.3m per season) over 10 at West Coast if he remains?

It's definitely a factor for consideration for his management when you are right at the pointy end of the pay scales.

This isn't a $300k vs $350k contract decision.

Understand that the club can ask for a ruling on that 3rd year based on exceptional earning capacity. Which no one can argue against with Reid. The kid had a football boot marketing contract signed before getting drafted.

So they can pay him more in his 3rd season and whatever they like in the 4th.

If I was Harley I would extend to the 4th year after agreeing to a big increase in his 3rd. He gets earnings security and can always extend a year out if he is happy.

I will say I foresee Harley at some point heading back to Victoria simply to extend his career into his mid 30's and reduce the travel loads.

Generally that is incorrect vs players who have moved clubs at least once on a major deal.

What if the earning capacity is $13m ($1.3m per season) over 10 at West Coast if he remains?

It's definitely a factor for consideration for his management when you are right at the pointy end of the pay scales.

WC can afford to pay him any amount that any other team can pay him, as I doubt salary cap space is an issue for them.

Also in reality, it isn't a matter of whether WC can afford to keep him and match other clubs.
It is more can they afford not to.

Harley Reid is the future of that club and they will do a deal with the devil if needed, to ensure he stays.

And I don't blame them.

WC can afford to pay him any amount that any other team can pay him, as I doubt salary cap space is an issue for them.

Also in reality, it isn't a matter of whether WC can afford to keep him and match other clubs.
It is more can they afford not to.

Harley Reid is the future of that club and they will do a deal with the devil if needed, to ensure he stays.

And I don't blame them.

Most clubs don't pay market value for their own players.

I think it highly unlikely if West Coast were to secure Reid to a long term deal, that it was on $1.8m a season commencing from his 3rd (if he applied for a concession) or 4th year.

So I guess the question is, what is the acceptable difference?

My point being, that difference is amplified at this pay level.

It could be millions over the course of a long term contract.

Maybe you are right in Reids case, there is no acceptable difference and WCE WILL have to pay market value.

Hence why I think it's an interesting discussion.

He's going to get a huge pay day wherever he ends up.

Has 2.5 years to go.
It's not really a trade issue you're talking about, it's more an extension.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He doesn't. Its speculation. Like what you're doing.

So basically reading that and those numbers, he is Geelong bound with most of it build into their $1 pubs and property deals they can offer him that no one else can ;)
A Hungry Jack's franchise will make you more money than a pub, just ask Simmo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back