Harry McKay hit on Harry Sheezel

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s a star player for a big Melbourne club. He’ll get a fine at worst.

Smaller Victorian club he gets a week, anywhere west of the border he probably gets two.

He’ll get off. Blues 2023 are the Bulldogs of 2016.

55 posts in a fortnight and all of them about how corrupt them big bad Victorian’s are.

It’s a bit sad.

Nothing in that.
If he gets weeks for that we should just revert to touch football rules.

Edit: Hilarious a north supporter put that clip up on Twitter. How sad the intent.
If Logue and Acres were suspended he should be.

I don't think any of them should have been suspensions myself.

Logue and Acres were just playing the game. They were in contests and didn't even move off their lines. But when Harry met Harry that was a late hit to a players head.

We all know the whole thing is a farce tho so nothing will come of it.

If anything...careless low impact high contact is a fine
Agree. They are now penalising on potential to cause injury, which is why Logue got a week even when a free kick wasn't paid, and his opponent got straight up. This has even less force, but it's late and to the head. $1000 fine, and move on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surprised they didn't go with low impact, the guidelines make it hard but they can do it, unlike with high bumps that start at medium.

"Impact: Notwithstanding any other part of these Guidelines, any Careless or Intentional strike which is of an inherently dangerous kind and/or where there is a potential to cause serious injury (such as a strike with a raised elbow or forearm) will usually not be classified as Low Impact even though the extent of the actual physical impact may be low. Such strikes will usually be classified at a higher level commensurate with the nature and extent of the risk of serious injury involved. Strong consideration will also be given to the distance the incident occurs from the ball and the expectation of contact of the Victim Player."

Will get off at the tribunal I reckon.

Could only really argue force insufficient to warrant a report, which is probably a chance but the AFL has been red hot on anything head high so it'd be a pretty bad look if it got overturned.

Bit of a brain fade though, it looks like he realised he was about to do something stupid and started to pull out, but not quickly enough. You're a 200cm, 110kg man, don't run into blokes with your elbows/forearms raised.

Medium impact??

Hmmm yeah nah.
In what world is a double-forearm to the head not "medium" impact?

The impact literally sent Sheezel face first into the ground from a full standing position:

Screenshot_20230408-181914.png

Screenshot_20230408-181931.png

Good luck arguing that isn't medium impact by definition.

Medium impact??

Hmmm yeah nah.
I agree it's not literally medium, but the issue is the latest guidelines.

"Impact: Notwithstanding any other part of these Guidelines, any Careless or Intentional strike which is of an inherently dangerous kind and/or where there is a potential to cause serious injury (such as a strike with a raised elbow or forearm) will usually not be classified as Low Impact even though the extent of the actual physical impact may be low. Such strikes will usually be classified at a higher level commensurate with the nature and extent of the risk of serious injury involved. Strong consideration will also be given to the distance the incident occurs from the ball and the expectation of contact of the Victim Player."

Graded as careless which seems fair, the strike was with raised elbow/forearms, and it was after he disposed of it.

Only way around it I can think of is to argue the force of the strike was actually negligible, ie not reportable, and it was the force of the body/hip contact that actually contributed the most.

Remove this Banner Ad

Harry McKay hit on Harry Sheezel

Remove this Banner Ad

Back