MRP / Trib. Rhyan Mansell hit on James Aish

Remove this Banner Ad

Folks, bear in mind that this thread is about Rhyan Mansell on James Aish. It isn’t an open invitation to drop by and ask why Gary Rohan wasn’t suspended for friendly fire on his own team mate.

I understand the arguments you’re making, I really do, but at the end of the day the MRO & tribunal only look at contact when it’s on an opponent.

Arguing that contact on a team mate should be part of their purview is opening up a whole new can of worms, and I’m just not sure we want to go there. In any case it definitely doesn’t belong in this thread.

Thanks, Zev.

The posting of Fremantle fans in here is utterly embarrassing. Completely one eyed viewpoints.
Great demonstration that you haven't read the thread, considering there are posts at either end of the spectrum.
Good to see Richmond have appealed this farce.
It will keep the thread going anyway, at least until the appeal is lost.

Spot on exactly.

Mansell is getting a 3 week ban literally due to the bounce of the ball, if it had bounced differently a concussion may not have been the outcome.
That's what troubles me the most about all this ... in that the ruling is almost the antithesis to a couple of characteristics unique to AFL being that it is a contact sport (and contact can come from any direction) and the shape of the ball means the speed, direction & height at which it travels is unpredictable and especially when it bounces end on end as it did in this instance. In this particular case, the player who appeared most likely to meet the ball first changed with every bounce the ball took and by the time this uncertainty had been removed it was simply too late for either player to avoid contact.

The comments from Jeff Gleeson, prosecuting the case for the AFL, should concern supporters of all teams when he said ''although he approached the contest at speed, the vision shows that from a metre or two from the point of impact he turns and bumps Aish ... this was not simply a reflexive or involuntary bumping into an opponent. It was a bump ... from a metre or two prior to the collision, he turned and bumped. His hands were not reaching for the ball.”

Perhaps that's because nobody runs with their arms outstretched like they are going to hug somebody and you pretty much don't extend your arms for something until it's within reach which it most certainly isn't at a distance of two metres nor even one metre unless your Mason Cox. So if we accept that Mansell wasn't yet close enough to reach for the ball, but too close (given the proximity of Aish and the speed at which he was travelling) to be able to change direction or stop short, what else could be expected of him other than to brace for contact side-on given that front-on contact would have likely caused significant injury to both players??

OK, tiger. Cry your own river. You're doing a pretty good job of it so far.
Only crying for what our game has become in an effort to protect the head(rightfully so), but with little regard to nature of the game. A little more invested in Mansell, yes, but also crying for other howlers we’re seeing like Butler.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Colour me unsurprised.

Ban upheld - I guess next time Mansell needs to either:
  • be a media darling
  • be a Brownlow favourite
  • play like a squib and be dropped for not going hard enough
  • not hit a player in the head.
Fixed :thumbsu:

There is nearly nothing in this sport now that isn't subjective. Virtually any decision can be justified because everything is grey. Did it go over the post? Did any Freo players dispose of the ball illegally after being tackled in the first 3 and a half quarters? Did they have prior opportunity? Did Mansell choose to bump? The whole sport has become open to gaslighting.

Did any Freo players dispose of the ball illegally after being tackled in the first 3 and a half quarters? Did they have prior opportunity?

R.12ab723927bfb71ebd2b9a98f0694757

Wearing a headband tomorrow in protest at the CFL.
This one should be appropriate...

93deb07a89baddd6a28144f51b2a8753.jpg

So, either slow down and don't contest a genuine 50/50

Or

Don't protect yourself when contact is unavoidable contesting a genuine 50/50

Pretty s**t
Why is it so hard for footballers these days to "protect themselves" or run through someone without hitting them in the head?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back