Harry O'Brien

Remove this Banner Ad

PIEd

Senior List
Jun 27, 2007
MElbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
what do non-collingwood supporters think about Harry O'Brien as being classed as an elite defender / all-australian?? I'm not saying he is at the moment, but i think he will be one of the better defenders in the league soon! no bias
:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

Minus his matches against Fev, he's been pretty solid this year, and he gives good drive from the backline. I don't think heaps of people realise he's only 21. Very solid skills aswell.

Not elite or AA by a fair way, but he's been improving drastically since he started and i wouldn't write him off being an AA defender by the end of his career.

I don't think he's rated all that highly outside our club, but he has been fantastic for us this year, and should poll well on Copeland night.

Has been impressive in the games I've seen.. Was one of the positives for Pies when we played you guys last...

True, but it was revealed after that game that lucas went in injured and could barely run....

On the whole I've been impressed with O'Brien's development, but I think he is a year or two off before AA will be likely. He may make the squad this year but IMO shouldn't be in the final team.

Its actually good to hear some positive thoughts about a player

Should be a very good defender in a few years play small or tall
Have been impressed with how well his played in the 2nd half of the year

To be honest he goes about his business the right way, but whenever he matches up on someone with a bit of pace he struggles, an example of that was against Cyril Rioli, he kept pulling his jumper to slow him down..
Forget the Fev games, no one can stop him when on song, he will be a good defender, he wont be a great defender but he will do his job week in week out..

Minus his matches against Fev, he's been pretty solid this year, and he gives good drive from the backline. I don't think heaps of people realise he's only 21. Very solid skills aswell.

Not elite or AA by a fair way, but he's been improving drastically since he started and i wouldn't write him off being an AA defender by the end of his career.

Agree. I thought he was a mature aged recruit, how does Collingwood do it always manages to find get defensive KP. Essendon could use your recruiting staff:thumbsu:.

He is quite a good defender atm, but he needs too improve his decision making and awareness when rebounding of defence too become even more of an asset. Im not implying its a massive problem, just the part of his game with the highest spoke for improvement

:thumbsu:

in great form for about 8 weeks. He's still trying to work out the balance between defense and run, and right now is just gunning forward everytime he gets the ball. And that's not a bad thing

(Log in to remove this ad.)

HAHAHAH i cant remember him touching the ball in the two Carlton games this year with Fev teaching him a lesson. His a dud, should head back to Brazil but he suits well with collingwood anyway there full of duds.
So if Fev comes out on top in a matchup it means the other guys is a dud? Are you saying that any half decent defender should be able to beat Fev?

I really enjoy watching him play and this year he appears to have stepped up another level.

I love nothing more than watching him get dragged down the ground by the opposition only to have him pop up and kick a goal on them.

Lasted one contest on Franklin and was made to look utterly ridiculous. Everytime hes played on the best, hes been ordinary. Maybe a good 2nd to 3rd tall.

shhhh .. don't tell them, they think he's the future.:cool:

our backs are fine. all reasonably young.

fevs pretty hard to match up on , he would kill any of your backs if you guys had have traded him out a few years back when he was nearly gone.

only way to shut down fev is to be more dominant in the midfield. thats where you have killed us in both games, judd and co just ran riot in the midfield and were delivering passes to fev on the lead. no defender can stop that.

obriens 21 and still learning imo. he has been towelled up by franklin and fev this year but hey, they are the two leading goalkickers in the afl and made seasoned defenders like scarlett and glass look average

They are; without a doubt; the most uneducated football supporters in the land.

Unable to comment without bias, and they are delusional with regards to where their club actually sits with regards to it's development.

No doubt. They base every Collingwood player on the two games we played against Carlton where we were - I admit - terrible.
But that's because they're the only games they've seen us play this season. Harry must be rubbish, y'know, he's only been our #1 defender in a team that is going to finish in or just outside top 4.... hmmm.

Much better player than I gave him credit for a year or so ago. Seems to have gotten rid of the clangers and indecision with the ball that was a hallmark of his game in the past.. Getting better and better at the contests, and giving away fewer free kicks than the past. Has developed a real offensive element to his game as well. Never thought we'd replace Clement so easily.

He probably has Pie supporters biting their nails sometimes when he gets the ball but all in all he is a good young defender who should continue to improve.

Remove this Banner Ad

Harry O'Brien

Remove this Banner Ad

Back