Confirmed Harry Perryman [to Collingwood as UFA]

Remove this Banner Ad

We do seem to pick and choose when the reported numbers suite us dont we
Reported numbers have varied from $750-$900k over the past few weeks, so right back at ya. You’re latching on to the highest number and taking it as gospel, so maybe get off your high horse.

Reported numbers have varied from $750-$900k over the past few weeks, so right back at ya. You’re latching on to the highest number and taking it as gospel, so maybe get off your high horse.
I am talking about both sides taking the numbers they like. It's clearly not 750k though or the AFL needs to be investigated. Following all other reports it will clearly be between 850k and 900k unless you thibk 800k is someone getting band 1

"Harry Perryman is now officially a Collingwood player, with paperwork approved by AFL House for him to depart GWS.
Channel 7’s Mitch Cleary has reported that the Giants will receive pick 16 at the end of the first round in this year’s national draft. Josh Battle’s compensation was taken into consideration when deciding the fairest draft pick to head to GWS."

So in summary, they just make it up as they go along.
No Suprise from the Idiots at the AFL

I am talking about both sides taking the numbers they like. It's clearly not 750k though or the AFL needs to be investigated. Following all other reports it will clearly be between 850k and 900k unless you thibk 800k is someone getting band 1
This here seems pretty well researched, certainly better than the majority of us here could do (no offence to the list management / player manager lurkers, you saucy little minxes, you)

Devaluing our picks with stupid contracts though Hawks have hurt us more.

More tongue in cheek than anything but I'll accept an admittance of being wrong for those of you getting antsy on the 900k talked about previously
Fwiw, reckon he's your classic 'JAG' - just another guy.
Might not be on forfteen trillion, but I reckon most would agree he's going to be on more than he's ultimately worth for longer than he probably should be.
But who knows, he's not a shit truck and maybe it will look better down the line

This here seems pretty well researched, certainly better than the majority of us here could do (no offence to the list management / player manager lurkers, you saucy little minxes, you)

I actually had a similar thought today. We cant be basing the compensation on top 5% of contracts, that's inherently flawed. Not only as the article points out, does timing on CBA increases significantly alter the comparative value of a contract year to year but like, any player leaving inherently gets paid more for leaving, naturally inflating the bracket they fall in. 5% of all contracts is a terrible way to base compensation.

Personally I am all for FA compo because the minnow clubs will just get ****ed otherwise but it's clearly as busted as the points system and at least some thought (that was supposed to happen anyway but clearly isnt) should be put into what a player is worth.

Last edited:
I actually had a similar though today. We cant be basing the compensation on top 5% of contracts, that's inherently flawed. Not only as the article points out, does timing on CBA increases significantly alter the comparative value of a contract year to year but like, any player leaving inherently gets paid more for leaving, naturally inflating the bracket they fall in. 5% of all contracts is a terrible way to base compensation.

Personally I am all for FA compo because the minnow clubs will just get ****ed otherwise but it's clearly as busted as the points system and at least some thought (that was supposed to happen anyway but clearly isnt) should be put into what a player is worth.
Reckon all of this is spot on.
Think in our competition, there is definitely a place for compensation, because without it, the smaller clubs / interstate clubs (in particular in the states where rugby is popular) will just end up feeder / farm clubs.
The mechanism is flawed both in general mechanics as well as its inherent susceptibility to being gamed by two clubs putting their heads together and coming up with mutually beneficial outcomes they would not go near with a barge pole without the magical pick fairy hovering overhead. As long as some minor tweaks have them ready to dole out pick 3 for a list clogger with an artificially inflated deal that then gets smoothed out over time once the pick is in the bag, nothing will change

Remove this Banner Ad

Confirmed Harry Perryman [to Collingwood as UFA]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back