Has Eade been there too long?

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: is eade been there too long?

2003 - we stuff up on farren ray, isac thompson,

could have had sam fisher - admittedly, this year was a thin draft

i dont think we stuffed up on Ray, he had a lot of promise,we gave him enough chances but he obviously had a attitude problem.

i know you cant get them all right, and hindsight is a wonderful thing, but we would have been a lot closer if we hadn't have screwed up so many draft pics

lets take a look

2001 - we stuffed up on Sam power, Kieran Mcguiness, Brent colbert
Missed out on nick del santo, steve johnson, jarrad waite,

2002 - stuffed up on tim walsh, cameron faulkner, scott bassett, cameron wight

could have had mackie, jarrod mcvaigh, hamish mackintosh, jared rivers

2003 - we stuff up on farren ray, isac thompson,

could have had sam fisher - admittedly, this year was a thin draft

2004 - we pick jesse wells, damian mcormack, tiller,

could have had mark lecras, lance franklin ( admittedly happy with griffen but would have almost won a flag with franklin the year the hawks won ) ,nathan van berlo

2005 - picked up travis baird , brett montgomery

could have had sam lonegran, matthew stokes, andrew swallow

2006 - picked andrejis everett, brennan stack, josh hill, malcolm lynch, paul oshea

Could have had jack reivwoldt, kurt tippett, justin westhoff, aaron edwards

( what a monumental STUFF UP 2006 was for us ! )

2007 - we pick jarred grant, guy okeiffe,

could have had cyrol rioli, patrick dangerfield,

2009 - we pick christian howard, jason tutt, shane thorne,

could have had - fyfe, aaron joseph, robyn nahas

the jury is out - get yr drafting right, have a good chance at a flag - stuff it up, and yr back in the pack

we need to invest good money to get blokes that are experts at drafting players - this is crucial IMO
You make it look worse the way you post it. Those "Could'ves - we could've had one each year. EG: We couldn't have had both Cyril and Dangerfield, only one. Grant isn't a wasted pick - he's a tall who will take longer than those blokes.

You've also not listed what we did well. Jones, Roughead in the same draft for instance.

You're also cherry picking the best we "could've" had. No team has a 100% hit rate. That's just stupid talk.

It's a long season, and I believe we are still a chance to win the premiership.

However, if rocket and the club do part ways the man I want in the job is Simon Goodwin.

I hope the club doesn't make a rash decision about it.

Anja_nees makes a good point, its looking more and more likely we need to take a few steps backward to go forward and I wouldn't mind still having Rocket in charge for it.

Still need to wait and see, we've got some problems clearly at the moment but let's see how the next 4-5 weeks pan out

\
but the question is had rodney been there to long , he hasnt beaten a guine top 4 teams on 10 attempts, he went into this came with a bad game plan.
the players would rather look side ways for a disposal than look up, and when they do we have no forwards.
i am sick of seeing our players streaming out of the back line with no forwards.
our forwards push up far to far, we are really unacountable for an oppanont and our forward press starts outside the 50.
the players must be playing to his instructions as i dont see any of them being disciplined by being dropped .
just puting it out there...

Eade should stay but he needs to change, as original post details. This has been happening for years now. With Barry Hall and without him.
As i've said in past posts its our half forwards who don't hold their position and play like midfielders causing 2 defenders to stay back.

People keep referring to the game plan and getting close the last three years but for me I don't think you can compare yesterday to any of the last three years. We had an inexperienced team in testing conditions against the best team in the league. People have been talking about Collingwood surpassing the 2000 bombers. What did you really expect yesterday?

Maybe we need to take a step backwards? lets wait and see. I still think when we get Shaggy, Hudson, Higgins, Gia, Hall and Wood back and we get fitness into Cooney, Gilbee and Lake that we'll be a much improved side on yesterday. Plus the benefit of experience to guys like Jones, Grant, Markovic. Its a long season and all this doom and gloom talk is foolish.

But say we do need to take a step back then I'd back Eade all the way to rebuild. The guy has taken us to 3 prelims and manged the list at the same time exceptionally well. Yet people would rather get a new coach? Its absurd.

People keep referring to the game plan and getting close the last three years but for me I don't think you can compare yesterday to any of the last three years. We had an inexperienced team in testing conditions against the best team in the league. People have been talking about Collingwood surpassing the 2000 bombers. What did you really expect yesterday?

Maybe we need to take a step backwards? lets wait and see. I still think when we get Shaggy, Hudson, Higgins, Gia, Hall and Wood back and we get fitness into Cooney, Gilbee and Lake that we'll be a much improved side on yesterday. Plus the benefit of experience to guys like Jones, Grant, Markovic. Its a long season and all this doom and gloom talk is foolish.

But say we do need to take a step back then I'd back Eade all the way to rebuild. The guy has taken us to 3 prelims and manged the list at the same time exceptionally well. Yet people would rather get a new coach? Its absurd.

I'm with you on this one.

The guys who have come in (Marko, Sherman, Jones, Wallis, Libba) have been pretty good. You can't just meld a new team overnight. Have a look at Coll, Gell, Freo, Carl- they haven't changed their personell a lot over the past 2 years- maybe bringing 2 or 3 guys a season. I suspect when Ward, Higgins, Wallis and Libba get more experience they will push Cross and Boyd into more defensive roles, I'm wondering if Cooney will end up more a forward.

2 excellent posts in this thread BWFC... Well done :thumbsu:.

The irrational and delusional statements from many of you are f***ing embarrassing.

You have to be kidding aren't you? How rational do you think your comment is?

Our opinions listed here are not to do with one game, our team has been playing without any resemblance of quality game plan for over a year if not more.

If you are happy with the way things are going and the way Eade is coaching the team that is fine that is your opinion and I respect that but don't come here and try to question the rationality or intelligence of our comments with the rubbish you posted here.

:mad:

Yes we will have to take a step back I'm not argueing against this, but I don't believe Eade can take the team any further, and the players you list coming back into the team will make a difference from yesterday but the painful truth is that they will not get us any closer to a GF or let alone winning a flag.

Anyone thinking otherwise is dreaming.:eek:

You have to be kidding aren't you? How rational do you think your comment is?

Our opinions listed here are not to do with one game, our team has been playing without any resemblance of quality game plan for over a year if not more.

If you are happy with the way things are going and the way Eade is coaching the team that is fine that is your opinion and I respect that but don't come here and try to question the rationality or intelligence of our comments with the rubbish you posted here.

:mad:

There is no point in keeping Eade for any longer than necessary, in my opinion he should have gone at the end of the 2009 season, since then we have continually gone backwards.

It is disgraceful that after six plus years Eade has our team playing without direction or style. He has been given enough time and continues to fail.

So you would have sacked a coach who had taken a club to 2 prelims in a row.

I have said this before, and I'll say it again.

Our club has had 2 coaches take us to a grand final. Eade has been the next successful taking us to 3 prelims in a row. I think he's down a pretty good job.

I simply cannot believe this to be true.

Up until rd 20 last year we looked as good as chance as anybody to challenge Coll for the flag, but as we all saw the wheels fell off for a number of reasons and we didn't make it past the PF.... but how the hell did we make it to this point if we weren't doing something right?

It must have just been luck.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm with you on this one.

The guys who have come in (Marko, Sherman, Jones, Wallis, Libba) have been pretty good. You can't just meld a new team overnight. Have a look at Coll, Gell, Freo, Carl- they haven't changed their personell a lot over the past 2 years- maybe bringing 2 or 3 guys a season. I suspect when Ward, Higgins, Wallis and Libba get more experience they will push Cross and Boyd into more defensive roles, I'm wondering if Cooney will end up more a forward.

This is where the contradiction will start...

People will be screaming out for 'blood the kids', but then will be the first to call for Jones, Grant, Roughead to be dropped.

Then we'll hear the time-honoured 'Eade's favourites' lines come up, when Gia and Higgins keep their spots.

He just can't win.

What we need to do is have a realistic assessment of where we are at, from the top down. We've played reasonably well for periods yesterday, which was encouraging. We went close against Freo, despite numerous players having a shocker...

Do we feel that when Cooney, Lake and co get their form up, and Barry, Gia, Hudson, Higgins and Wood are back we'll go close ?? If so, then let's keep working towards that. Getting games into the kids is fine.

If we feel that we are still going to be off the pace, then perhaps we need to look at a Minson/Roughead starting ruck combination, try a few different guys in defence/attack and see what eventuates..

But people will need to learn to bear the pain of this learning curve. Because it will be painful....

I think the club suffers a little from being too focussed on the short term and then chopping and changing too much to meet that. We should be focussed on the long term and make refinements only when required.

I simply cannot believe this to be true.

Up until rd 20 last year we looked as good as chance as anybody to challenge Coll for the flag, but as we all saw the wheels fell off for a number of reasons and we didn't make it past the PF.... but how the hell did we make it to this point if we weren't doing something right?

It must have just been luck.

We play with a plan that pummels teams with low skill levels and low defensive pressure, but comes completely undone when we're under pressure.

I'm guessing you think the fact that we're basically flooding instead of implementing a zone has nothing to do with Eade? Why do we continually have no one in our forward half to kick to? No, Eade couldn't have anything to do with that...

Did you notice that Collingwood also had no one in their forward line for just as much time as we did. The difference was as soon as they got the ball they ran hard and spread. They outworked us. Maybet they're just better athletes. But this idea that we have a gameplan holding us back is absurd.

Just some facts. You guys need to put it into prespective.

The team we put on the park to play the best team going around...

7 Players with less than 20 games exp, Wallis, Libba, Jones, Grant, Roughead, Moles, Marcovick,

3 Players with less than 50 games exp Ward , Williams, Picken

2 Players with less than 70 games Hill, Addison

On top of that we have Cooney and Lake without pre-seasons.

Coming off a 6 day break from Fremantle.

undercoverlover
BigFooty Newbie

---------------------------------------

Who the heck are you? You joined before just about any other BF Doggies supporter and went away for six years, came back and have only 24 posts in 11 years? Just curious.

Chicago

long time dogs fan, member and coterie group member, joined this site to read and comment on football, fromt the early days dont have much to say, but will say it when the need arises.

also ravens fan from day one.

Thanks for that, undercoverlover. Too bad you missed the fun years of posting when Rohde was coach! Nice to see you post again.

And I'm only a Chicago Bears fan because it's mandatory if you live here. As long as you're not a cheesehead, it's OK. :p

We should get rid of him no later than half way of the current season, I would love to see someone who can try all young kids, gets rid of the duds and then concentrates on teaching the kids a game plan that can win big games and finals.

There is no point in keeping Eade for any longer than necessary, in my opinion he should have gone at the end of the 2009 season, since then we have continually gone backwards.

Please Smorgon make the hard decision and send the whole training team packing, i would prefer to have people that can show our youngsters to play hard and accountable footy and not the crap they are playing at the moment. The current coaching staff have shown they are not good enough and we will not go any further than this.

It is disgraceful that after six plus years Eade has our team playing without direction or style. He has been given enough time and continues to fail.
Problem with this is, that sometimes you can get locked in to taking the caretaker coach. Generally the caretaker does ok and is roundly supported yet might not be the best man for the job.
I think Rocket has been fantastic, but perhaps his time is up and maybe a new direction needs to be looked at. It wouldn't bother me one way or the other if he stayed or not which suggests to me that unless something dramatic happens he should go at the end of the season.

It's a long season, and I believe we are still a chance to win the premiership.

However, if rocket and the club do part ways the man I want in the job is Simon Goodwin.

Simon will be coaching Adelaide within 3 years.

Maybe we could get Peter Rohde back? :rolleyes:

With Royce Hart and Bluey Hampshire as his assistants.

If not for a Brian Lake brain fade in 2009, Eade could have easily been a premiership coach.

When you consider the financially challenged environment he has to work in compared to the competition, the fact that Eade has had the ability to lead this football club to 3 straight preliminary finals - unprecedented in Bulldogs history - is nothing short of phenomenal.

Sure it would be great to win a flag, but the AFL doesn't give them away - they are hard to win as everything has to fall into place. Just ask the Saints.

As for the notion that Eade "only has one game plan" and "a game plan that doesn't work" etc, it just shows the naivety of some of the posters on here.

Since our last Grand Final in 1961:
1962->2004 (43 years) had 12 coaches for 8 finals appearances.
2005->2010 (6 years) Eade has taken us to 4 finals appearances.

I'm sure I'll get howled down with he has a good team and has underperformed.
Fine line between that versus the team was not quite good enough and he's done a good job to get them to 3 prelims.

Having seen so many poor years, I prefer him to have the opportunity to keep building this team.

Yes, I'm sure some new coaches have some success, but a hell of a lot more fail.
Change for the sake of change does not guarantee a better result.

Can't believe some of you want to get rid of probably our best coach for many, many years.
I'm hoping most of the anti Eade group are younger supporters who have had a reasonably good past 15 years and haven't really experienced too many dingy, dark years.
I'm also hoping any replies will leave out the words 'accepting' and 'mediocrity'.

Fine line between that versus the team was not quite good enough and he's done a good job to get them to 3 prelims.

Having seen so many poor years, I prefer him to have the opportunity to keep building this team.

Yes, I'm sure some new coaches have some success, but a hell of a lot more fail.

Can't believe some of you want to get rid of probably our best coach for many, many years.
I'm hoping most of the anti Eade group are younger supporters who have had a reasonably good past 15 years and haven't really experienced too many dingy, dark years.
I'm also hoping any replies will leave out the words 'accepting' and 'mediocrity'.

Couldn't agree more with your line: "Change for the sake of change does not guarantee a better result."

I have disagreed with some of his selections at times, but most of the time it's been in hindsight after we've lost!

Good post , it's still early, early days. I would revisit this at years end
if we miss the 8 (which won't happen). Things will click for us at some point, we have too much talent on our list for that not to happen. I think we were lucky to get Eade and at least owe it to him to back him in 100% till the end of the year.

Good post , it's still early, early days. I would revisit this at years end
if we miss the 8 (which won't happen). Things will click for us at some point, we have too much talent on our list for that not to happen. I think we were lucky to get Eade and at least owe it to him to back him in 100% till the end of the year.

Someone made a comment about Hawthorn last year staying that when you go close in games and lose marginally, it has a big effect on your season. Very mentally draining. I think Freo and Sydney were those games for us. I think we'll get into the 8 (not 4), but there needs to be big improvements. We seem to have lost the ability to really turn it on an punish teams.

As far as Eade goes, I don't think we should sack him mid-year but I wouldn't offer him a new contract. Need a new coach with new ideas and someone to give a few players a kick up the ass. I think the whole buldose the debt thing will go a long way to footy development in a few years. If we rid ourselves of debt, or at the very least, reduce it, I think we'll be able to spend more on footy development recruiting etc.

One of our biggest issues is our forward line at the moment:

Hall, Murphy and in patches Gia and Higgins are really the only quality pure forwards we have. So our lack of scoring ability has been hampered. Compare this to pre-hall days of:

Gia,Welsh,Aker,Johnson,Hahn,Murphy

It seems like a much more dangerous forward line that could do damage at any moment. Our forward line today was:

Remove this Banner Ad

Has Eade been there too long?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back