Has Kane Cornes Become a Media “FLOG”?

Remove this Banner Ad

Kane's act is that of the heel.

He sucks in dumb bogans who genuinely think he's serious and not trolling their ignorance.

Baffles me people fall for it, but here we are.
agree the bigger the flog and villain you are...usually the more you get paid.

nick riewoldt is my favorite as he usually spot on without being an arse about it, but his views rarely get a mention

i always get the feeling his employer will tell him to get a bit more spiteful and spicy and start sprouting on twitter to grab some more ratings/subscriptions and start reeling in some more mug punters in etc.

Watched an old game between Port Adelaide and North yesterday, and noted at least three times throughout the second half where Kane deliberately went out of his way to pass the ball to Chad, at times blatantly ignoring the better option in order to get the ball to his brother. Two of the three times resulted in Chad getting swarmed by the opposition. Interested to get a perspective from Port Adelaide supporters as to whether this was a normal or recognised thing throughout his career, or did I just stumble upon a rare case?

Watched an old game between Port Adelaide and North yesterday, and noted at least three times throughout the second half where Kane deliberately went out of his way to pass the ball to Chad, at times blatantly ignoring the better option in order to get the ball to his brother. Two of the three times resulted in Chad getting swarmed by the opposition. Interested to get a perspective from Port Adelaide supporters as to whether this was a normal or recognised thing throughout his career, or did I just stumble upon a rare case?
I always used to say this when one of them got the ball “ooh where’s Chad? Better find Kane”. Thought it was only me seeing this

They regularly looked for each other, especially in junk time. I’m pretty sure I’ve heard Kane admit to this in the media at some stage (possibly in the Open Mike he did with Graham and Chad)

I actually like Cornes as a media performer.

Says what he thinks, and happy to have a dig at anyone if he thinks it is necessary. Is a surprisingly good interviewer too.

He gets a bad rap because unlike 99% of footballers that go into the media, he is not afraid of giving the modern player a clip, particularly for off field professionalism (say what you want about Cornes, no one could doubt his professionalism and training when he played).

Players that clip Cornes regularly like Tex and Dangerfield like the media when they are nice and sucky to the modern player - just look how angsty Dangerfield gets when Whately - albeit rarely - puts the slightest pressure on him in an interview.

Kane's biggest issue is his personal attachments prevent him from being objective in many cases.
Personal agendas such as constantly praising Hinkley and bringing up Tex walker on footy classified, it's so tired, on a funny show yeah maybe OK but too often isn't really accurate because he's pushing his own agenda.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Jezza mark is legendary and iconic, but might be a bit overrated purely as a mark. Always hard to compare screamers with camera angles, etc.

We need commentators to have an opinion, not just follow the crowd and be cheerleaders for the players.

We don't need a headline and article written every time a commentator has a harmless opinion on a non-issue.

Compared to commentators in the UK and US, our commentators are too bland and are too influenced by their connections to 'club land'.

They should be opinionated. Let's not discourage it.

I think he is right. The occasion and the commentary make it special.

Many of the Carlton players point to that mark as the turning point in that game in providing a psychological lift....So it's timing was of equal importance from that perspective....We, as kids, would always scream 'Jezza ' in the backyard & at school, whenever someone took a hanger....It became the stuff of legend.

Many of the Carlton players point to that mark as the turning point in that game in providing a psychological lift....So it's timing was of equal importance from that perspective....We, as kids, would always scream 'Jezza ' in the backyard & at school, whenever someone took a hanger....It became the stuff of legend.

It is the stuff of legend, I don't think Kane was saying otherwise. It is iconic and probably the most famous mark ever taken in the games history but he just said he didn't rate it as highly as others as a pure mark. Also to be fair he didn't just rip into the mark there was some build up.

Disgraceful was the fact that Jezza’s daughter rang up the radio station to complain.

That was bizarre. Different if someone said Jezza was on drugs or even didn't take the ball cleanly. There was nothing personal. Weird that she kept saying she had no idea who Kane Cornes was despite playing 300 games of football yet she knew no better mark has been taken.

She sounded like someone who has lived off the connection to that mark her whole life.

Last edited:
It is the stuff of legend, I don't think Kane was saying otherwise. It is iconic and probably the most famous mark ever taken in the games history but he just said he didn't rate it as highly as others as a pure mark. Also to be fair he didn't just rip into the mark there was some build up.

Kane wasn't born until 1983, So I doubt he'd be in any position to appreciate the scale & level of the cultural significance in a footballing context, about the impact of that mark....I was a kid when Jezza took that grab & felt it's full force & impact, having grown up in the Carlton high-rise flats till I was 8....My older brother sported the number 25 on his back just because of it.

Cornes is also from South Oz...Reckon there's a smattering of anti-Vic bias going on here too.

Of course, he's also just a plain old shit-stirrer who likes to dredge up controversy & so be seen as an 'influencer' of sorts, as a consequence.

Kane wasn't born until 1983, So I doubt he'd be in any position to appreciate the scale & level of the cultural significance in a footballing context, about the impact of that mark....I was a kid when Jezza took that grab & felt it's full force & impact, having grown up in the Carlton high-rise flats till I was 8....My older brother sported the number 25 on his back just because of it.

Cornes is also from South Oz...Reckon there's a smattering of anti-Vic bias going on here too.

Of course, he's also just a plain old shit-stirrer who likes to dredge up controversy & so be seen as an 'influencer' of sorts, as a consequence.

Again your missing the point. While he wasn't born he basically acknowledged and agreed with everything you have said in the first part of your post.

Isn’t this blokes dad only famous for something similar? A mark in a grand final for glenelg? I can not recall anyone ever mentioning anything about his footy playing career other than that. People I know who were around and into footy at that time also seem to say he wasn’t exactly a stand out player. Somehow became the crows first coach and now has had a career in the media making outlandish statements - who’s living vicariously through who here? Kane or dad?

Isn’t this blokes dad only famous for something similar? A mark in a grand final for Glenelg? I can not recall anyone ever mentioning anything about his footy playing career other than that. People I know who were around and into footy at that time also seem to say he wasn’t exactly a stand out player. Somehow became the crows first coach and now has had a career in the media making outlandish statements - who’s living vicariously through who here? Kane or dad?

Fair go...He's also famous for being a Used Car Salesman with a very ugly mug.

Isn’t this blokes dad only famous for something similar? A mark in a grand final for glenelg? I can not recall anyone ever mentioning anything about his footy playing career other than that. People I know who were around and into footy at that time also seem to say he wasn’t exactly a stand out player. Somehow became the crows first coach and now has had a career in the media making outlandish statements - who’s living vicariously through who here? Kane or dad?

Graham was a good player. 300 SANFL games, a heap of State games and two time all Australian.

Remove this Banner Ad

Has Kane Cornes Become a Media “FLOG”?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back