Has Malthouse Been A Failure?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geez he only been there 5 minutes give him a go. He'll improve them and they'll be a better club for him being there because he is very professional at what he does and he won't tolerate anyone who doesn't toe the line.
BTW how did Yarran go in the VFL?

Has immediately improved Gibbs and Kreuzer. Problem I think is that Carlton haven't drafted well.
Exactly. One only has to look at Carlton's recent drafting to realise that Mick isn't dealing with a strong recruiting department like he was at Collingwood.

The hope of Carlton fans is that we're on the way to recruiting better.

Exactly. One only has to look at Carlton's recent drafting to realise that Mick isn't dealing with a strong recruiting department like he was at Collingwood.

The hope of Carlton fans is that we're on the way to recruiting better.

I'd be interested to know how?

We stole one of Geelong's best recruiters.

If my memory serves me correctly you also stole one from the Dockers and I'm not sure that that was a big positive.

He's past it and his team's not good enough. Seventh to twelfth was always going to happen.
this this this this this.

Obviously this thread is a troll, but I can't see them cracking the top 4 anytime in the near future, Malthouse or no Malthouse

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes, because it's all about recruiting and nothing about culture, development, gameplan, etc.

But the bloke in the recruiting seat did get a leg up with the father-sons available.
And Malthouse and the club aren't working on development, culture and gameplan?

Mick is clearly working on the culture, he has already given Waite and Yarran a kick up the arse.

Development isn't a major issue for us, well at least I don't think it is. Guys we've drafted that haven't developed have all been kept out by better players or have shown nothing to suggest they can be something. Is that a development issue?

As for gameplan, Mick has changed that already, and continues to do so.

And Malthouse and the club aren't working on development, culture and gameplan?

Mick is clearly working on the culture, he has already given Waite and Yarran a kick up the arse.

Development isn't a major issue for us, well at least I don't think it is. Guys we've drafted that haven't developed have all been kept out by better players or have shown nothing to suggest they can be something. Is that a development issue?

As for gameplan, Mick has changed that already, and continues to do so.
Change does not necessarily equate to success.

They used to suck at Etihad and only lost to the Hawks by 15 points with Murphy off in the second half. If they make the 8 look out, just ask the Cats what they're capable of at the MCG. They don't mind playing at Patersons, either.

Not sure why some people seem to expect big things from Carlton and Malthouse this year. It was always going to be a transition phase. The club has had a long period of mediocrity and requires not just a better gameplan and better forming players, but general culture change. Which is obviously happened.

And really, Carlton have been pretty damn good. Pushed the Hawks, Essendon and Geelong, and their biggest losing margin as far as I can remember is 17 points against Collingwood? (Could be wrong there.) They just arent able to take advantage of when the momentum is in their favour, which was evidenced by their game against the Hawks. That will change though. So yeah, not sure why this year is considered a failure. Did people expect them to be top 4?

People can knock Malthouse all he wants, when I look at Carlton I see a team that is simply playing better and more consistently then before. Even in previous years when they showed promise they would still get thrashed here and there, which has yet to happen. The Blues will upset a few teams to go, and still could still shake things up. I would prefer the cats to play any number of teams before the Blues.

No failure.

Out club is largely run by what most people would term morons who thought we could challenge for a flag with our current list.

Truth is we can't yet, and maybe not able to with this group of players.

The gap between our best and worst has narrowed significantly from under Ratts. Basically when Juddy dropped from super human levels to a very good player last year, Ratts was done.

I am not sure how we should be doing any better than what we are, we have 3 AFL quality KPP players, a few a-grade midfielders backed up by rookies in Cachia and Curnow. Our defence is pretty good but due to the lack of a marking target who isn't Waite or a ruckmen masquerading as a forward we often have to disrupt it to chuck Hendo or Walker up there.

If we can recruit a decent KPP like Frawley, snag a Dale Thomas and get Menzel, Graham, Bootsma, McInnes and Bell best 22 worthy next year we may challenge for top 4.

Respect. From a Carlton supporter (just because it is a thread about carlton), this is very unbiased view....

From what i have read, Menzel is tearing up the VFL!!!! I dont think with salary's you could get both frawley and thomas with the contracts they would want. If i was a carlton recruiter, with the young mids you have, i would go hard for frawley. Dale Thomas to me, is a Bryce Gibbs clone. I dont think you need another one, especially with the young talent in the list.

Maybe trade out a ruckman (hampson or warnock) for a draft pick, then get gumbleton, S.McKernan,... or another key forward..... but your list is looking good.

Oh my god.

Just when I thought Bigfooty could not get any dumber. Halfway into the first season of a three year tenure which is predominantly focused on building a premiership side and culture, and someone is posing whether Mick has been a failure.

Hilarious.
So Carlton are in rebuild mode then? The era of Judd is over and must be declared a fail.

Judd a failure? Are you joking? Juddy's captaincy and his presence at the club aswell as Ratten's rebuild of the team has gotten Carlton over the dark times of the early 2000s and have gone from wooden spooners to finals contenders. Just because Carlton haven't won a premiership with Judd doesn't mean he's a failure, and we're not in rebuild mode at all.

Just on Mick Malthouse, I have seen a better change to the team than last year when Ratten was coaching, players like Walker, Garlett & Casboult (just to name a few) have improved immensely under MM and the team is more, ALOT more competitive than last year. Looking back on it now I'd rather go with a loss to Hawthorne by 20 rather than a smashing of 60. There are a few areas to improve, like the forward line obviously and the lapses between quarters. It's Malthouse's first year at Carlton, it's not like we are going to go BANG as soon as he came in, shit takes time. Unless you're Chris Scott and inherit a champion side like Geelong.

Next year they have Judd, Scotland, Waite and a few others that are on the wrong side of 30.

They also carry some absolute spuds. Hampson, Lucas, Bootsma, Joseph. Even their middle tier is a bit of a joke. Malthouse has 3 years to get it right but he doesn't have the list. Rebuild in 2015. Side isn't going anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back