Has the media disrespected Brisbane?

Remove this Banner Ad

Crisp isn’t a good example. He was nothing at the time and was part of the trade for getting in Beams.

But yes, Fagan has done an excellent job fixing the issues at the club, and creating a great environment. I think the criticism has been with him tactically in the coaches box given the talent he has at his disposal.

I doubt anyone will doubt him now.
Handled it professionally. Imagine had Ken Hinkley won the GF (Was never happening) how Ken would have handled the speaker!

Teams change during the season.
I’m assuming this may have been when they had 3 wins after 11 games.

Same as Hawks going 0-5. Who would have thought they would be playing finals and the most in form teams leading into it?
This is why those If you start the season 0-2...... threads are trash.
A lot changes throughout the season. I'm of the opinion that you dont' want to show all your cards by June and be the hunted. It's a horrible place to be.

Has the media disrespected or underrated Brisbane or both? Is there even a difference between ‘disrespecting’ and ‘underrating’?

I underrated the Lions this year for sure - due to their poor start, the fact that my team beat them quite comfortably in the home and away (I think this can disproportionately influence any fan’s perception of another team), that they didn’t finish top 4, and that they were on the other side of the finals draw from Hawthorn. So, for me, the Lions were a bit out of sight out of mind. I did think they were gonna beat the Cats for some reason, of course they were always beating Carlton, but I couldn’t see them winning against the Sydney teams.

Whereas last year I had them as sure things to beat the Pies in the GF. All of which shows I’m wrong much more than I’m right.

Now should media experts be better than a hack fan like me on this stuff. Yes probably. But then again, they’re required to put their views and tips out there constantly. And trust me there’s been plenty of years where the most knowledgeable footy people have finished well down the order in the footy tipping competition - it happens.

At the end of the day if you’re the Lions who cares anyway, they’re the premiers and re the likes of Damian Barrett they can say in the immortal words of Teddy Whitten, ‘We stuck it right up em!’

Makes it all the sweeter.

They were LAST in 2017 in Fages first season
They are FIRST in 2024 in his 8th season

AMAZING JOB - great coach who believes in his players, traded and drafted well, awesome culture. Was Clarko's right hand man at Hawthorn. Danny Daly, Cam Bruce, Greg Swann and bringing in Cotch and Dew has taken them to the next level

Naysayers get stuffed

David King is still salty AF his best game where he kicked 7 goals was in a 125 point flogging cos no one remembers his performance

When one's eyes are too close together, it must really pinch one's brain!

I like Kingy usually - don't always agree with him but at least he tries to justify his options with some sort of coherent explanation.

I do hope he takes his own advice from this year when we get into the 2025 season though. He liked saying "Don't get beaten by what you know" this year. Well Kingy, you now know Fagan is a premiership coach... so hopefully you can speak about Fagan in a more optimistic and respectful way next year.

I like Kingy usually - don't always agree with him but at least he tries to justify his options with some sort of coherent explanation.

I do hope he takes his own advice from this year when we get into the 2025 season though. He liked saying "Don't get beaten by what you know" this year. Well Kingy, you now know Fagan is a premiership coach... so hopefully you can speak about Fagan in a more optimistic and respectful way next year.
I just listened to him and Cornes talking on Sen, if you could call it that and he wouldn't let Kane talk. I'd hate to have to work with him tbh. He loves running campaigns on coaches and players.

You just know next year there's going to be a side that bolts and he's going to pump them up. "I just can't see anyone beating them right now. They aren't getting beaten", and Throw teams under the bus with all sorts of dramatic commentary.

I think he was the worst in the media in 2024.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

✅ Tipped Lions 🏆
Whatley, Jon Ralph, Sara Jones, Robo, Kath Loughnan, Billy Brownless

❌ Tipped Swans 💩
Kingy, Gazey, Jay Clarke, Heath Shaw (said they'd win by 5 goals), more to come..

Brian Taylor
Winner: Brisbane Lions
Margin: 15 points
Norm Smith: Lachie Neale
First goal: Tom Papley
Best final: Geelong v Brisbane Lions
Channel 7 commentators have made their premiership predictions. Credit: Supplied
Abbey Holmes
Margin: 1 point
Norm Smith: Lachie Neale
First goal: Charlie Cameron
Luke Hodge
Winner: Sydney Swans
Margin: 18 points
Norm Smith: Chad Warner
Kate McCarthy
Margin: 13 points
Norm Smith: Cam Rayner
First goal: Zac Bailey
Best final: GWS Giants v Brisbane Lions
Joel Selwood
Margin: 31 points
Norm Smith: Errol Gulden
First goal: Cam Rayner
Best final: Sydney Swans v GWS Giants
Jude Bolton
Margin: 27 points
First goal: Joe Daniher
Dale Thomas
Margin: 23 points
First goal: Kai Lohmann
Hamish McLachlan
Margin: 7 points
First goal: Chad Warner
Matthew Richardson
Margin: 10 points
Norm Smith: Joe Daniher
Luke Darcy
Margin: 4 points
Norm Smith: Hugh McCluggage
Best final: GWS Giants v Brisbane Lions
Mitch Cleary
Winner: Sydney
Margin: 8 points
Norm Smith: Justin McInerney
First goal: Cal Ah Chee
Ryan Daniels
Margin: 4 points
Norm Smith: Errol Gulden
First goal: Hayden McLean
Kate Massey
Margin: 1 point (after extra time)
Norm Smith: Brodie Grundy
Laura Spurway
Margin: Eight points
Norm Smith: Tom Papley
Theo Doropoulos
Winner: Brisbane
Margin: 20
Norm Smith: Joe Daniher

Kane Cornes & Nathan Brown, suprisingly both Sydney.

They were LAST in 2017 in Fages first season
They are FIRST in 2024 in his 8th season

AMAZING JOB - great coach who believes in his players, traded and drafted well, awesome culture. Was Clarko's right hand man at Hawthorn. Danny Daly, Cam Bruce, Greg Swann and bringing in Cotch and Dew has taken them to the next level

Naysayers get stuffed

David King is still salty AF his best game where he kicked 7 goals was in a 125 point flogging cos no one remembers his performance
It was a long road

Kingy is not as astute as many think he is, he's been wrong on plenty, hates criticism of himself which he deflects very quickly, usually through attack and has blind spots for clubs not from Victoria as he spends all of season watching vic clubs only.

He's a poor commentator but can have good half time and post game analysis.
His "Sydney by 63" in 2014 was peak King.
Has spent the last 10 years saying "I said by 6-8 goals..." no you didn't mate, the graphic literally said 63 points...

Kingy is not as astute as many think he is, he's been wrong on plenty, hates criticism of himself which he deflects very quickly, usually through attack and has blind spots for clubs not from Victoria as he spends all of season watching vic clubs only.

He's a poor commentator but can have good half time and post game analysis.

Lives and dies on Champion Data stats. Then when they failed at North Kingy said that “Luffy is still a star”.

Lions beat GWS and he said that Kingsley out coached Fagan.

Remove this Banner Ad

Has the media disrespected Brisbane?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back