Has the Shaun Hampson trade been a success?

Remove this Banner Ad

The way we played last night everyone looked like a spud at times. Up until being subbed out Hampson had had the most shots on goal from our tall forwards. I know Hampson is far from a fan favourite but he isn't the reason we suck this year.

point to me a game where Hampson hasnt looked like a spud??? and I dont want to see hit out stats...

The way we played last night everyone looked like a spud at times. Up until being subbed out Hampson had had the most shots on goal from our tall forwards. I know Hampson is far from a fan favourite but he isn't the reason we suck this year.

Cant wait to see who wins the most shots on goal award at the end of the year.

Honestly I didn't think it went that badly all things considered. I mean given the way we played as a team the 2 ruck structure was never going to look good. Interestingly before being subbed Hampson had had the most shots on goal of our tall forwards.

Yeah but Hampson and Maric in the same side made us look super slow whenever the ball hit the ground down forward.... He is not a forward ruck like Hale or dare I say it Vickery....

Hampson is ok as a back up for Ivvy.... but the two can't co-exist in the same team as it upsets the balance of our team. Griff/TV can be the 2nd ruck and we will not lose as much when the ruckman is resting forward.

I don't mind the experiment but I think it's clear that it won't work....

The recruiters got way ahead of themselves to the point they thought we were Sydney or something. Saw a 200cm Calvin Klein model with zero competitive streak, a feeble grasp of football fundamentals and the work ethic of an Easter Island statue and thought ''We've turned Grigg and Houli into superstars, how can we fail here? We're ****ing bulletproof!" Then reality hits.

Yeah but Hampson and Maric in the same side made us look super slow whenever the ball hit the ground down forward.... He is not a forward ruck like Hale or dare I say it Vickery....

Hampson is ok as a back up for Ivvy.... but the two can't co-exist in the same team as it upsets the balance of our team. Griff/TV can be the 2nd ruck and we will not lose as much when the ruckman is resting forward.

The other part is that Griff/Ty go missing as pure forwards. They need to be able to have a run on-ball. I think that's been obvious this year.

The other part is that Griff/Ty go missing as pure forwards. They need to be able to have a run on-ball. I think that's been obvious this year.

Yeah, they need that run sometimes to get into the game. Which is still a problem, they need to have more tricks to get involved as forwards... but I agree with you. They offer far more than Hampson overall....

The trouble isn't just that it was a bad trade but that it was such an obviously bad trade. The guy was complete shit for Carlton and couldn't even master the basic fundamentals of football despite being on their list for ages...why on earth would anyone want him? it's a shocking indictment of the club that supposedly has experts who get paid good money to know a bit about footy, when mug posters on Bigfooty can see it but they can't it is just staggering.
This.
The think with Hampson is that he looks like the perfect footballer. Everyone, including myself, is waiting for it to all click and for him to become a superstar of the game. I was disappointed when we traded him because I was still waiting .... maybe next year he will use his superman like abilities to break the game right open.

Unfortunately he just will never get it. Even I have accepted that now.

So glad he is no longer frustrating the hell out of me ... still though my club is doing an excellent job of that without Hammer in it anyway!

The recruiters got way ahead of themselves to the point they thought we were Sydney or something. Saw a 200cm Calvin Klein model with zero competitive streak, a feeble grasp of football fundamentals and the work ethic of an Easter Island statue and thought ''We've turned Grigg and Houli into superstars, how can we fail here? We're ******* bulletproof!" Then reality hits.
Pure arrogance considering Alan Richardson couldn't develop him.

I rate Stephenson ahead of Hampson.

You know exactly what you will get with both these players. Neither has scope for upside, but Stephenson is a competitor that can mark the ball and is a better kick. As soon as Hampson's contract is up - delist. There should be one golden recruiting rule at RFC - "Never recruit Carlton fringe players.."

This.
The think with Hampson is that he looks like the perfect footballer. Everyone, including myself, is waiting for it to all click and for him to become a superstar of the game. I was disappointed when we traded him because I was still waiting .... maybe next year he will use his superman like abilities to break the game right open.

Unfortunately he just will never get it. Even I have accepted that now.

So glad he is no longer frustrating the hell out of me ... still though my club is doing an excellent job of that without Hammer in it anyway!

How dare you come in here and rub it into our faces....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The amount of times I saw Hampson just standing there a metre from play while his ruck counterpart was on the move, bustling packs, hunting players and generally actually doing his job was astonishing. He literally competes at the ball up then stops dead once the tap work's done. I just can't fathom how he's become an AFL player, he looks as though he's being forced to play against his will.

Probably knows hes shit but clubs keep paying him to play so hes like "oh boy, i can do sweet **** all and earn good money, how good is this!"

Thought it was an epic fail. Calamity galore. Maric shouldn't have played.

Stephenson is currently our best in form ruck man.
Agree with this.

And agree with this. Hence my changes for next weeks game with Hampson going out and as much as I don't like it Vickery back in. Like I said all along I want to see the 2 of them in the same side to actually see it in practice rather than theory. Now that I've seen it in, it has to go on the scrap heap with a few other things.

Agree with this.

And agree with this. Hence my changes for next weeks game with Hampson going out and as much as I don't like it Vickery back in. Like I said all along I want to see the 2 of them in the same side to actually see it in practice rather than theory. Now that I've seen it in, it has to go on the scrap heap with a few other things.

... and its an expensive fail. A fail that a lot of us already had seen fail before when he played at Carlton.... he simply isnt a footballer. We thru a way a second pick for a player that offers less than Derickx.... because Derickx dropped 1 Mark. How many has Hampson dropped now????

that second rounder should have been used on kid in the draft or used to shake a GC or GWS youngster out of a tree...

We sat on our hands thinking the job was done .... we weren't proactive enough. Its not Hindsight its being completely negligent

... and its an expensive fail. A fail that a lot of us already had seen fail before when he played at Carlton.... he simply isnt a footballer. We thru a way a second pick for a player that offers less than Derickx.... because Derickx dropped 1 Mark. How many has Hampson dropped now????

that second rounder should have been used on kid in the draft or used to shake a GC or GWS youngster out of a tree...

We sat on our hands thinking the job was done .... we weren't proactive enough. Its not Hindsight its being completely negligent
I agree whole heartedly with this , bloody disgraceful .

I was against this trade from the start but after the Melbourne game and last night I'm starting to see why we gave up a 2 nd round pick for him and it's genius . We are going to get a top 3 draft pick as long as we stick fat and keep playing him for the rest of the year.

The more shots on goal he gets the better we will go in the draft so thank god Maric is back .
Standing ovation sir.

Funnily enough, there were many on here who wrote him off on that exact basis and wanted him to never wear the jumper again.... the club does the thing many supporters wanted and look where it gets them....

Agree the pick could have been better used.... preferably on a hard-running, line-breaking, silky skilled mid.... However with no Ivan early this year, it wasn't the worst thing to have a decent back up ruckman (not that I rate him outside of the centre circle).... Derickx had shown very little to suggest he might be able to fill the void left by Ivan.... perhaps that falls on our development team....

But yeah, I'd be happy to have that trade back/or substituted for almost any other ruck option in the league!

The guy makes me want to spew whenever I see him near a contest.

I remember early in the first quarter, he didn't attempt to lay a tackle or even hand on either Fletcher or Ryder when they were literally about 50cm away from him.

I can't believe we picked this guy up for 3 years. It's worse then the McMohan trade.

So who do we have more confidence in using a second round pick, Blair or FJ?
Tough one.
I just hope its out of both of their hands next draft.

The amount of times I saw Hampson just standing there a metre from play while his ruck counterpart was on the move, bustling packs, hunting players and generally actually doing his job was astonishing. He literally competes at the ball up then stops dead once the tap work's done. I just can't fathom how he's become an AFL player, he looks as though he's being forced to play against his will.
I have watched him his whole career because my bro is a mad Carlton supporter and I've thought the same for everyone of his 70 odd games. I honestly reckon he is a scam and knows he's not a footballer and must do Noddys on the coaching staff when they try and teach him something . I seriously think all the coaching staff have to do is sit him down and say " listen mate your a dud and a cancer on our club, we won't be playing you at any level and you won't be training with the group at all anymore so just stay at home " I think he'll retire as he doesn't really need the coin.

Remove this Banner Ad

Has the Shaun Hampson trade been a success?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back