Has the top end talent of the league declined?

Remove this Banner Ad

Eagles fans acting like a bunch of obnoxious pricks. 90% of your clubs legends have completely tainted legacies anyway. And I’d still take Bont over Kerr.
I find these comparisons tedious. But you do know Kerr finished top 3 in the browlow three consecutive seasons at his peak right? incredible player

Not sure about the original premise.
I could watch the likes of Oliver, Cripps, Kelly, Gawn, Grundy, Heeney, Greene, Charlie Cameron, Fyfe, etc. everyday.

We’re seeing teams that dominate now have ‘systems’ rather than out and out star power, and the teams that win will always have more chance of loading up the AA. Richmond, Hawthorn and Geelong typified this style

The same size as wines, fyfe, etc
Smaller than cripps and the bont
Koutas size is nothing special these days

Looked good because he played against a bunch of slow short people
And he had a period of 96-99 when he was maligned. Then from 2002+ he was injured all the time.

Yet you would think he is a 6 time AA they way his myth grows.

Even in 2000 when Carlton supporters tell you he had the grearest season of all time and was robbed of the Brownlow he only finished 3rd in the Carlton b&f

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
We’re seeing teams that dominate now have ‘systems’ rather than out and out star power, and the teams that win will always have more chance of loading up the AA. Richmond, Hawthorn and Geelong typified this style

Not Hawthorn.... we never got the AA reward.

Cats had like 8 and 9 AA's in consecutive years from memory. I think the most we got was 4 in one year.

The top end talent is just as good, however they don’t have the space to execute their greatness like they did in the era’s before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This.

The game has been far more defensive than ever before. Its been harder to find space before being 'closed down'.

Thats part of the reason people have been turned off the style of the game. Although lately the coaches have started to get players to run & break the lines to ease the pressure. Thus we've seen some better footy of late.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After this year none of them will have a list of achievements as good as Bontempelli's, except for maybe Kelly if the Giants win the flag.

Anyway, i'm done with this, anyone who genuinely thinks Bont would be no better then 8th picked at the Eagles clearly has very limited knowledge of the game. Enjoy the next few weeks, any club who has a minimum of 7 better players then Bontempelli will no doubt win the flag in a canter :)

I'd take Bont in the eagles side so don't get me wrong, but had to chuckle here...

Yeo2018reviewLAND.jpg

Top end talent is still awesome. The field of players now are more athletically similair in terms of fitness and physical training so maybe its harder to stand out now than it was 20 years ago when you could still afford to have a few plodders in the team who only offered one or two things to the collective (ie: deep sitting forward pockets only needed to be good marks/crumbers and have a good eye for goal, nowdays they have to track their man, know how to tackle, create space for the big forwards, push up the ground to create links between the midfield and key forwards etc.)

The ruckmen in particular are so much more rounded players and athletes than they have ever been.

No, it's just that all the good draftees end up at the crap clubs.It's a disgrace that Lukosius, Rankine and King, 3 of the best prospects in years have to go to Gold Coast to get bashed around in games and receive poor coaching.

Star power tends to get suppressed in clubs with strong systems

Remove this Banner Ad

Has the top end talent of the league declined?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back