Have Geelong become too powerful?

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm pencilling the dogs in personally.
Chris Scott is a ridiculously good coach but Geelongs midfield is not good enough to win a flag right now. It's amazing what he's done with that list.
Sydney, Brisbane, Footscray, Carlton and Brisbane's best football is better than Geelong's so we'd need a lot to go right. Fremantle too probably, who just had a poor day while missing two very important players.

If we play our absolute best for a month and everyone else drops off a bit, you never know.

The Geelong & Richmond Bigfooty rivalry is so weird.

The strangest thing about it is this:

The Tigers owned us across four years when they were at their peak. No question. But it hasn’t been enough for them to have any level of acceptance of what is happening at the moment.

I read a post from one of them the other day claiming that ‘what they did to us’ we still haven’t recovered from???

What, aside from the 2022 flag and the potential third top four finish in four years since then?

They smacked us right up the bum fair and square when they were at their peak. No question and they can dine out on it forever. But it doesn’t somehow change that for four decades before it they were nowhere to be seen while we were at or near the top for half of it and pretty content with our own lot in life. I don’t think any Cats fans are losing any sleep over WHO we lose to.

No footy fan likes losing, and we all enjoy winning, and when it’s a rival it makes it a bit sweeter for about five minutes afterwards but beyond that, who cares.

The strangest thing about it is this:

The Tigers owned us across four years when they were at their peak. No question. But it hasn’t been enough for them to have any level of acceptance of what is happening at the moment.

I read a post from one of them the other day claiming that ‘what they did to us’ we still haven’t recovered from???

What, aside from the 2022 flag and the potential third top four finish in four years since then?

They smacked us right up the bum fair and square when they were at their peak. No question and they can dine out on it forever. But it doesn’t somehow change that for four decades before it they were nowhere to be seen while we were at or near the top for half of it and pretty content with our own lot in life. I don’t think any Cats fans are losing any sleep over WHO we lose to.

No footy fan likes losing, and we all enjoy winning, and when it’s a rival it makes it a bit sweeter for about five minutes afterwards but beyond that, who cares.

My brother is mad Richmond and he also hates the cats.

I think it comes down to their dynasty vs yours.

Still weird though.

My brother is mad Richmond and he also hates the cats.

I think it comes down to their dynasty vs yours.

Still weird though.

I don’t hate their club one iota. Doesn’t bother me. I think in that respect it’s a fairly one way rivalry. Their fans I must say - and granted every single fan base has a demographic of lunatics and being a big club theirs will be bigger than most so I do understand that - is what I tend to raise my eyebrows at.

The fascination they have with crowd numbers etc (cue predictable ‘you’re only saying that because you support a smaller club’ reaction from some tigers random) is bizarre. I mean who cares. It doesn’t enhance your achievements or success. I have read them bragging about how rabid they get at games ffs 😂😂

Wow, you can carry on like a three year old watching dudes kick a ball. Well done.

Top 4 certainties. Most likely top 2. If they play bulldogs or Blues week 1 they might be in trouble.
What will get us in finals is the same as what has gotten us each home and away game we have lost.

Teams with dominant midfields have large patches of play where they destroy us in the middle with clean quality movement out of stoppages and silver service to forwards that piles on 5-6 goals quickly.

It is bound to happen at stages in the finals.

If geelong breaks even in the midfield, we most likely win.

Top 4 certainties. Most likely top 2. If they play bulldogs or Blues week 1 they might be in trouble.
*Finals certainties. Most likely 3rd-4th.

The surprise win yesterday means if all results go as expected we will play Port, GWS or Sydney away in a QF. In that situation our opponents would rightly be big favourites and then we'd likely play a team like Bulldogs or Carlton in a semi final, who would also be favourites.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Relying on a 52 year old champion with dodgy hamstrings and a former VFL journeyman to win them big games in the clutch moments.

BigVic the music will stop soon, don't worry. "Slow ageing veterans and players found in weird places" as a formula isn't going to win a premiership any time soon, all it does is piss everyone off for 2 hours on more weekends than they were expecting in 2024.

*Finals certainties. Most likely 3rd-4th.

The surprise win yesterday means if all results go as expected we will play Port, GWS or Sydney away in a QF. In that situation our opponents would rightly be big favourites and then we'd likely play a team like Bulldogs or Carlton in a semi final, who would also be favourites.
3rd on percentage. 1.5% behind port

Port have a showdown and freo away
Cats have west coast at GMHBA and St Kilda at Marvel.

Should end U about 3-5% clear of port even if both sides win the last 2 games

3rd on percentage. 1.5% behind port

Port have a showdown and freo away
Cats have west coast at GMHBA and St Kilda at Marvel.

Should end U about 3-5% clear of port even if both sides win the last 2 games
I'm not even getting carried away about a win against St Kilda being a given.

At their best at Marvel they can beat Sydney and thrash Essendon. At their worst they can roll over.

IF we win that one I expect it will be close, like most of St Kilda's losses this year.

As for West Coast, we could win big but you might want to look at our GMHBA record this year. We haven't really been beating sides up down there.

I could also see GWS winning both games to finish the season too.

This is Geelongs flag to lose

Can win well away
Don't need to rely on GMHBA (not the safety net it once was anyway)

Finishing 2024 without the premiership cup. Would be like the Australia Rugby 7's women side going from gold medal certainties.... to going home empty handed!!!

This is Geelongs flag to lose

Can win well away
Don't need to rely on GMHBA (not the safety net it once was anyway)

Finishing 2024 without the premiership cup. Would be like the Australia Rugby 7's women side going from gold medal certainties.... to going home empty handed!!!
lol

This is only 10% of our true power!
it's been a decent rebuild year so far, best young player and future rising star Dempsey discovered followed by probably the next best young gun in Humphries. Wells and now Mackie light years ahead of every other clubs list managers

it's been a decent rebuild year so far, best young player and future rising star Dempsey discovered followed by probably the next best young gun in Humphries. Wells and now Mackie light years ahead of every other clubs list managers
We were promised these rebuilds were supposed to be painful. I guess part of being as powerful as we are means a rebuild year sees us in contention for a top 4 finish.

Remove this Banner Ad

Have Geelong become too powerful?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back