Have we seen the worst umpiring decision in finals history?

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Have we seen the worst umpiring decision in Finals history

Worst umpiring decision in finals?

I dunno. I reakon the one they paid to Reiwolt after he dived at the end of last year's preliminary finals & goaled from it against us was pretty ordinary.

Is there a pattern emerging with the Saints & umpires here?

Is there a pattern emerging with regards to Geelong being handed goals when clearly they've been points? (Hawkins in GF/Mooney in QF).
Flog

If Ling stopped after the free was paid and he never kicked the goal it wouldnt be as controversial

Any body who has ever played any level of footy knows that was the clearest example of in the back ever displayed on an oval.

Anyone who thinks that wasn't a free kick is on some serious travis tuck style drugs

Well I have played a stack of footy and I wouldn't have paid that (at the time).
However, if you look at the incident in isolation (back a few pages) it's a free.

For me it comes down to how the game is being played at the time. For others it just comes down to each individual incident.

Each to their own.

It was 'there' by the letter of the law but SHOULD it be? Incidental contact is not deliberate and it is not vindictive. The law needs to change, pure and simple.

I actually agree with this.

It's like the 50 metre penalty. It's too technical, above & beyond what the rule was intended for, or should be for within the spirit of the game.

Having said that, under the current interpretation the free was there, & it was a disgrace to hear the Geelong player say several times the umpire had cost Geelong the match.

Uh, no. The reason Geelong lost the match was they didn't kick enough goals so that tiggy touchwood umpiring decisions don't have an impact

Haven't seen the replays yet. But no mention of the free Mooney got and goaled from for practically an identical incident when Gwilt was in Mooneys back earlier in the game. Can't have it both ways guys. Do we mention Stokes and Johnsons soft frees resulting in goals?
But worst decision ever, no.

Just a terrible way to lose a final. To watch that kick from Ling pitch in the goal square and then skid through while the real drama was 50m up field. Free kick was there but a horrible way to lose.

The Colbert 'mark' was the worst decision for me..

Whatever you might think about the Mooney in the back it wasn't the reason we lost. Whenever there's a controversial decision I look at what the neutrals say about it, and based on what I've heard this morning it seems like a 50-50 call either way.

No we lost because we didn't turn up to play in a FINAL(!), defensively and offensively we were pathetic for two quarters, and when we were on top we kicked 1.7 from 17 I50s versus one goal from one I50. There's your game right there.

Correct decision, and the ump blew the whistle straight away before Ling kicked it too, so (even leaving aside the fact he could have got 50=benifit with the noise of crowd) but it was coming back Goal, point, out on the full, or Goddard catching Ling holding the ball...........The fact it went through the big sticks is the only reason we are even seing the decision questioned but as i said he shouldnt have kicked it anyway

Mooney's decision to let Zac Dawson play in front of him was an even worse decision. That mark he gave up to Dawson in the last quarter??? I just couldn't believe where Mooney had positioned himself

If the guernseys were reversed, would that have been paid? Absolutely no chance. In fact, anyone but Mooney and it probably wouldn't have been paid either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I want that umpires head on a stick. What a terrible decision. He has no feeling for the game and should be banished forever. Please let us never ever ever see that buffoon agin

You cannot be serious mate :rolleyes:

although mooney clearly fell hard iinto gwilt's back, mooney's momentum was across gwilt's body, he came from the side initially. when gwilt lost his feet there was nowhere for mooney to fall but onto gwilt's back/ass. by the letter of the law it was a free, but it's fair to say mooney was hard done by given that he had clean intent

video

although mooney clearly fell hard iinto gwilt's back, mooney's momentum was across gwilt's body, he came from the side initially. when gwilt lost his feet there was nowhere for mooney to fall but onto gwilt's back/ass. by the letter of the law it was a free, but it's fair to say mooney was hard done by given that he had clean intent

That's exactly how I see it too. While I have seen them called "play on", (the problem with the game is the technical rules that are open to interpretation) by far the majority of instances that I recall they are paid "in the back".

If it was paid early in the game, no one on this board would even remember it. The umpire must call them as they see them with no regard to the context of the match. If it is a penalty at the 5 minute mark of the 1st term it is also a penalty in red time of the final term.

I can see no point in pissing and moaning about it. The cats need to get that steely resolve to get in there and end Freo's dreams next week.

Nothing can be achieved by whinging with the exception of giving followers of other teams ammunition to label Cat supporters as sooks.

Just showed the 1999 prelim as a sequence of finals highlights in the Channel 10 prematch.

Fraser Brown tackles Dean Wallace in match winning moment. Falls right into his back on the follow through

No free kick

l thought the umps helped the saints in last years prelim giving roo soft frees all night.my beef with the mooney free it was a late call by the ump.anyway suck it and bring the A game next week.

There were plenty of decisions throughout the game that could have gone either way (i.e stokes gifted a shot at goal for head high that wasnt there) and the dawson rushed behind that was paid a goal. Yes that one was inconclusive but all the same saints fans were justified to feel hard done by.

If that free kick was paid in the middle of the ground no one would talk about it because people who understand the rule know that it was blatant and hats off IMO to the umpire for having the guts to call it.

In the end its all evened itself out. And credit to the geelong supporters who have been gracious in defeat and acknowledge its not the reason you lost, but the title of this thread is outrageous.

i hate the in the back rule in that context and have for years - when tackling, i'd love to see it only paid when a player is deliberately buried into the ground. the way it is interpreted now is just pointless - the tackle mooney laid was the only way he could make the tackle, there's no risk of injury what so ever, and it's not like a player is taken out of the play unfairly.

having said that, it's the rule, it was there and none of us would be complaining if it happened a minute before the quarter time siren.

I agree, the stupid umpire, it costed us a game especially in the first week of finals and do you guys beilieve we have a chance of winning freo and magpies. if we can, then it's a miracle! stuff St kilda. GEELONG!!! MUST WIN

That's exactly how I see it too. While I have seen them called "play on", (the problem with the game is the technical rules that are open to interpretation) by far the majority of instances that I recall they are paid "in the back".

If it was paid early in the game, no one on this board would even remember it. The umpire must call them as they see them with no regard to the context of the match. If it is a penalty at the 5 minute mark of the 1st term it is also a penalty in red time of the final term.

I can see no point in pissing and moaning about it. The cats need to get that steely resolve to get in there and end Freo's dreams next week.

Nothing can be achieved by whinging with the exception of giving followers of other teams ammunition to label Cat supporters as sooks.

Agreed, it was there, timing is irrelevent. Move on.

Don't pretend like if the rolls were reversed, you lot wouldn't be saying the free kick was justified.
If Gwilt tackled Mooney exactly the same, and they paid him the free kick and he won the game you wouldn't be whinging that the free kick wasn't there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Have we seen the worst umpiring decision in finals history?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back