Haven't been able to shake the feeling all year

Remove this Banner Ad

amer

Cancelled
Nov 26, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
From round 1 till now, even when we slipped to 0-6 and the logical side of my brain was saying we'd be lucky to drag ourselves from the bottom 4, there's been a nagging feeling in my guts about this season. Can't really explain it - when the cards fell initially everyone was down and out, seemed like no one got a full PS in and we were not going to be able to get any sort of momentum together. That was the general consensus and why not, because that's how it goes when you're in that predicament generally. But I just haven't been able to shake the feeling that there's something about this year for the Crows.

I'm not really the sort who tries to overstate our chances, to try and delude myself into thinking we can do it when we can't. I tipped St Kilda by 50 odd points last year at the dome, expected a Port Adelaide win in last year's first Showdown, and thought we were gone at half time against the Eagles in the 06 prelim despite our 22 point lead. Hell, I turned to my mum during last year's Collingwood semi when Reilly helicoptered that shot at goal in a failed attempt to put us six kicks up and said that the pies were a good chance to overrun us from there. Not saying I'm the "great tipping master" or a psychic, but I don't have issues admitting when we're just not going to be able to get it done.

However, and I'm not happy about it because it's refusing to let me keep my hopes where they should be when your side couldn't get on the board until round 7, there's something uncanny about Adelaide this year. I don't know...there's just a look about them. Different to last year, and the few years before that. A mate mentioned to me a couple of weeks back (following our clash with Essendon) that he had sunk a couple of hunj on us for the flag, which was the shock of the decade. He can't stand Adelaide, won't barrack for us under any circumstance. He made a similar comment though, that there was a look about us and it was giving him an uneasy feeling. One of those things.

Waiting cautiously for tonight, how we'll go without Goody and McLeod (though we're missing a handful of players who should play important roles in our 22 next season when the vets hang up the boots - Knights, Davis, Otten, Pets) is something we've been waiting to see for some time. But I had to post about this - I don't know if it's because this AFL season as a whole has been one of the more anomalous ones on record, but yeah...just the strangest vibes about us this year, like we're going to come from the clouds. Anyone else been feeling similar?

So much appears to be mental for us. That is a great positive when we play like we do now but also a great negative because I'm not sure Craigy knows how to control and retain the mental state, it could be gone as quickly as it came.

There is something 1997 about the team at the moment. Exciting young kids who know no boudaries. Some solid veterans who are being inspired by what they see in the group. Not sure who has the Darren Jarman factor though. Maybe Stiffy?

I understand what you're saying. I too put $20 on our boys at 501-1 several weeks back as I was insulted by the odds. Something in me said we might be able to do it, although above is the best I can give you as to what that something is.

feeling that there's something about this year for the Crows.

like we're going to come from the clouds. Anyone else been feeling similar?

Felt the same (ish) ...until I read Goodwin may be gone for all time, and there is speculation the 2 players with the flu are Tippett!! and Dogga, and that Schmidt and Sellar could possibly get a game today instead of the in-form Phil Davis. Season over if we drop today's game, particularly if you look at the draw and work out that this is one of our must-wins...and in Goody's case, well he has been the maestro conducting proceedings all over the ground. Of all the losses this year, his is by far the most significant, and it could be the straw/camel's back, for the rest of the season....

Still expecting a win today regardless.

The problem is, assuming we can win 4 from 6, with our percentage 11 wins wont be enough. Was looking good at half time of the WC v Carlton game, but the results over the last 2 weeks havent gone our way.

Carlton play Collingwood, Freo (Subi) and Geelong on the run home, as well as Essendon who they haven't beaten since early 2007. Tough run.

The problem is, assuming we can win 4 from 6, with our percentage 11 wins wont be enough. Was looking good at half time of the WC v Carlton game, but the results over the last 2 weeks havent gone our way.

Exactly.

We need Carlton or Swans to lose every game they 'should' lose plus lose an upset (eg last night would have fit the bill or Syd v Melb today).

That or we need to win 5/6...the odds would say we are very likely to finish 9th on %.

The only redemption will be if game time given to players will an eye to hitting the ground running in 2011. Maybe the injuries to McLeod and Goodwin will be a blessing in disguise, though i hope both get back for a farewell match (given they are champions of the club). I am sick of slow starts to the year.

If we win 5 of the last six (a big IF ) % and points will be irrelevant! :D

Wherever we finish in the 8, everyone else will be s****ing themselves - we will have beaten 4 or 5 of the top 6 since round 11. No-one will be looking at our start then, except to note that many of our players will still be quite fresh.

If we don't - if we win 3 or 4 - I hope we do not sneek into the 8. A long break and a fresh start for 2011 would be better.

Strange thing to say, but I dont think we are much worse off than last year. If we dont make it, it will mean we couldnt get over the likes of collingwood, dogs and st kilda... just like every other year when we've fallen short against top 4 sides- we will save us the pain of an early exit. However if we do make the 8, it will mean we have some huge scalps going (wins vs at least 3 of the top 4 you'd reckon) and that will give us some genuine hope that we can beat anyone.

I like this mob too, real x factor and they seem to have the ability to dig in and come through in the clutch.

Strange thing to say, but I dont think we are much worse off than last year. If we dont make it, it will mean we couldnt get over the likes of collingwood, dogs and st kilda... just like every other year when we've fallen short against top 4 sides- we will save us the pain of an early exit. However if we do make the 8, it will mean we have some huge scalps going (wins vs at least 3 of the top 4 you'd reckon) and that will give us some genuine hope that we can beat anyone.

I like this mob too, real x factor and they seem to have the ability to dig in and come through in the clutch.

I reckon thats an excellent observation.

We've been a pretty honest team the last few years. Beat all the teams below us, lose to all the teams above us. Has this years 'dishonesty' including a new-found ability to lose to pathetic teams also given us the ability to beat teams above us?

Maybe "inconsistency" has a silver lining in that sometimes you play out of your skin (ie last Friday night).

Like a 100m runner who clocks consistent 10.0 second times, rain, hail or shine versus a bloke who is all over the shop, occasionally has a 'mare and runs 10.2 but sometimes when the planets align can run a 9.75.

Only one of those guys can win an Olympic gold.

If we're ever going to truly embrace "risk-taking football" then do we have to shelve Neil's dreams of consistency?

Well said, in years gone past we would "turtle" up against the good opposition and not be able to attack at all. Last year we would be be able to attack these teams and run them close, last Friday night showed the Crows that they could actually take town a big player with attack and shut down play. To me that is the most important sign.

There is something a little more special about this current mob and today without the old "fab four/five". Blokes like Danger, Sloane, Douglas et al will prove they are fine without them.

Belief is a hell of a.....

We've been a pretty honest team the last few years. Beat all the teams below us, lose to all the teams above us. Has this years 'dishonesty' including a new-found ability to lose to pathetic teams also given us the ability to beat teams above us?

Maybe "inconsistency" has a silver lining in that sometimes you play out of your skin (ie last Friday night).

Like a 100m runner who clocks consistent 10.0 second times, rain, hail or shine versus a bloke who is all over the shop, occasionally has a 'mare and runs 10.2 but sometimes when the planets align can run a 9.75.

Only one of those guys can win an Olympic gold.

If we're ever going to truly embrace "risk-taking football" then do we have to shelve Neil's dreams of consistency?

Last week was great risk taking football. Just need to play like that more often to be a true contender next year and beyond

amer,

I too have that feeling. But i have that feeling every year, as i'm an enternal optimist. While there is a mathematical chance, there is hope! :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You know what would be nice?

Finishing 8th, with Freo 5th and playing them in the 1st week of finals

Their injuries are killing them. It was always going to be hard for them to keep up their intensity all season with a young list, and now they are being made to look 2nd rate Vs the Dogs

Playing an injury depleted Freo is a best case scenario, as opposed to playing a fired up, and experienced Hawthorn

i've had this huge feeling about adelaide since 0-6

i knew u'd flog us.. im glad you did..

i seriously hope you finish 8th and freo finish 5th.. what a game that would be...

then its on.

I rememeber an article in our melb newspaper here in 1998 that we were the sleeping giants, after flogging some team in round 22 I think it was.

We didn't do that much throughout the year, but coming towards the end of the year we really started to destroy teams, we looked pretty damn fit in 1998.

We could be the sleeping giants this year too.

I rememeber an article in our melb newspaper here in 1998 that we were the sleeping giants, after flogging some team in round 22 I think it was.

We didn't do that much throughout the year, but coming towards the end of the year we really started to destroy teams, we looked pretty damn fit in 1998.

We could be the sleeping giants this year too.

We're sleeping idiots out there tonight.

Was going to leave this topic until after the game. :eek:

We'll come out and beat richmond next week though, and those vague finals sentiments will return. Woeful game tonight though, absolutely woeful.

I think it's fair to say that we're no chance, although the other 3 teams (Carlton, Sydney, NM) don't really look like they deserve their place in the 8 either.

The Geelong win is now worthless seeing as we couldn't back it up today.

Surely amer is not suggesting that even at 0-6 he thought the Crows would descend from the Heavens to collect the Premiership Cup? What an embarrassing thread.

Heh, you only ever show up to stick the boot in. Weak as piss. :thumbsdown:

Just had a weird feeling that we'd find a way to revive the season, and after getting up over Geelong I thought I might chuck it out there. Least I put it on the line, and I'm here being accountable for it.

We ****ing disgraced ourselves last night though. 10 goal inferior opposition. Our worst performance of the season and there have been some shockers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Haven't been able to shake the feeling all year

Remove this Banner Ad

Back