News Hawk for life, Luke Breust. Signs to 2025. Kicks 500 goals!

Remove this Banner Ad

I won’t bother with stats but from my observations Bruest is one of the most accurate goal kickers from any angle that I have seen. He rarely seems to miss.
He has many other attributes but I suspect accuracy is especially important for a small forward.

Based on publicly available information from AFL.com.au, it looks like that Breust is averaging 2.1 goals per game and is ninth in the AFL for scoring accuracy (among those players to average 2 or more goals per game):

Code:
Rnk   Player          Club  GA%
--------------------------------
  1   T. Marshall     PA    67.9
  2   M. Lewis        HAW   66.7
  3   I. Heeney       SYD   64.8
  4   C. Cameron      BRI   62.9
  5   P. Wright       ESS   61.8
  6   T. Greene       GWS   61.2
  7   M. Chol         GCS   61.0
  8   T. Lynch        RIC   60.9
  9   L. Breust       HAW   60.7
 10   Z. Bailey       BRI   59.6

This data doesn't differentiate between set shots and shots on goal in open play, and also does not differentiate between the location of the shot on goal (i.e., you'd expect a shot from the top of the goal square to more likely result in a goal, compared to a shot on goal from 50 metres tucked up on the boundary).

Based on publicly available information from AFL.com.au, it looks like that Breust is averaging 2.1 goals per game and is ninth in the AFL for scoring accuracy (among those players to average 2 or more goals per game):

Code:
Rnk   Player          Club  GA%
--------------------------------
  1   T. Marshall     PA    67.9
  2   M. Lewis        HAW   66.7
  3   I. Heeney       SYD   64.8
  4   C. Cameron      BRI   62.9
  5   P. Wright       ESS   61.8
  6   T. Greene       GWS   61.2
  7   M. Chol         GCS   61.0
  8   T. Lynch        RIC   60.9
  9   L. Breust       HAW   60.7
 10   Z. Bailey       BRI   59.6

This data doesn't differentiate between set shots and shots on goal in open play, and also does not differentiate between the location of the shot on goal (i.e., you'd expect a shot from the top of the goal square to more likely result in a goal, compared to a shot on goal from 50 metres tucked up on the boundary).
Phhf not even the most accurate kick at goal in his team

I won’t bother with stats but from my observations Bruest is one of the most accurate goal kickers from any angle that I have seen. He rarely seems to miss.
He has many other attributes but I suspect accuracy is especially important for a small forward.
Amazing how it changed between not wanting to watch him have a shot in 2013 to a deadeye in 2014 and on

2021: 19 games - 33 goals (1.75)
2022: 16 games - 34 goals (2.12)

Breust has kicked 1 more goal than last year despite playing three less games. With another five more games left to play, he’s on track for a 45-50 goal season. He ain’t done yet.
Isn't slowing down, hasn't lost a trick and his body hasn't given him many issues.

Can't see why he can't play for another 3-4 years.

Isn't slowing down, hasn't lost a trick and his body hasn't given him many issues.

Can't see why he can't play for another 3-4 years.
I had my doubts earlier in the year. Was a bit pedestrian in quite a few games but has got back to his consistent best the past 6 weeks or so. Can easily go well into his 30s and be the last man standing from the golden era when we hopefully salute again. Deserves a 4th flag for his ability to keep the wheel turning.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Keep Breust for life. Still the best small forward on the list and top 5-6 small forward in the comp.
Top 3 small forward in the comp at least I'd reckon, only behind Cameron, Fritsch and Heeney in terms of goals from non-key forwards and is doing so from a lot fewer I50s.

Luv the Punky & I really dislike all the trade him out talk over the years.
I would like to see him as our small forwards coach when he decides to pull the pin on his playing career.
Sam reckons he’s already contributing to coaching all the forwards

He's actually a freak. Imagine him on the other team, and the ball goes in his area. You'd s**t yourself every time.
Over the years he’s been the player I have had the most confidence in with ball in hand & goals in sight

Sam reckons he’s already contributing to coaching all the forwards
So good! :)

“I don’t see any slowing down in him,” Mitchell said.

“His form across the course of the season has been really strong and we’re really pleased with what he does off the field.

“He’s a fantastic mentor for some of our younger players.

“When a guy like Sam Butler turns up to the club, he has no idea how to kick a left-foot snap. You would’ve seen a Will Day left-foot snap last week. All of that comes from a Luke Breust coaching session.

“He’s a fantastic person.”

Not saying Luke will get to 350 games, but no vfl afl player reached 350 before Bartlett in 1996. There were 6 by the time boomer started his career in 1996.

Since then thereve been 12. Even though there the obesssion with turning over list so get more access at the draft than other teams, players are playing longer.

Imagine if geelong win the flag?

Remove this Banner Ad

News Hawk for life, Luke Breust. Signs to 2025. Kicks 500 goals!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back