The Breust conundrum

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree with you, but why is he playing?
My guess is that the value of his insights while sitting on the bench for 3 quarters is considered by the coaches to be worth the cost of him being below his best when he does take the field.

And I don't think there's enough data yet for us to say he's not working as sub. Yes, he didn't look great against Port but then neither did most of the team during that quarter. It's hard to look decent as a small forward when none of your teammates want to move the ball forward to score.

There is no conundrum. If Breust wants to play on next year, he will. If he wants to hang up the boots he can. It’s his choice.

I think he is not contracted for next season (right?), so if his body breaks down and he can't recapture any kind of form then it won't simply be his choice.

And how did that work out for Hawthorn.....poor example
I think you may have missed the point.

The coach was clearly not being sentimental when he suggested a much loved player might not get a game next year and should go to West Coast to finish his career.

Sentimentality in footy is very rare.

Last edited:
There is no conundrum. If Breust wants to play on next year, he will. If he wants to hang up the boots he can. It’s his choice.
So says Sleepy Mark, and Sam
Mitchell.

You heard it here first.

When he’s fully fit he’s in our best 22. He still has a lot to offer.

Regardless of the 300 milestone if he wants to play on in 2025 then I’m all for it. There’s nothing wrong with having both him and Gunston on one year playing-coach type deals, even if they end up playing most of next year in the VFL. Having them around to mentor some of the younger players will do no harm.

There’s still more than half the season left so this thread is premature any way. Let’s see how his season goes after the bye.

Just did a quick calculation: we have 12 games left. He is 13 shy of 300!!!

We’ll have to make an unlikely finals appearance this year, with him playing every game (nursing him through as a regular sub), for him to do it.

I very much doubt it’ll happen, so he’ll either have to play on next year, get traded and play his 300th elsewhere, or fall tantalisingly short.

The only option there I like is the first one…

Just did a quick calculation: we have 12 games left. He is 13 shy of 300!!!

We’ll have to make an unlikely finals appearance this year, with him playing every game (nursing him through as a regular sub), for him to do it.

I very much doubt it’ll happen, so he’ll either have to play on next year, get traded and play his 300th elsewhere, or fall tantalisingly short.

The only option there I like is the first one…
Let's just make finals then. I'm on board.

Reckon Sam knows his good for 1 or two goals the moment he comes up, still see it as so fitting he is back playing the sub role, where he first started.

Great influence on the bench to

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would really like to see both Bruest and Gunston kept on for next year. With next year being their last. It would really benefit both Dear and Watson to continue to grow and gain more experience by having them play on for an extra 12 months. Next year, we should be in a position to start playing finals again, once again their experience in finals is much needed for a young playing group.

I would really like to see both Bruest and Gunston kept on for next year. With next year being their last. It would really benefit both Dear and Watson to continue to grow and gain more experience by having them play on for an extra 12 months. Next year, we should be in a position to start playing finals again, once again their experience in finals is much needed for a young playing group.

Would like to see the subs bench extended to two so we can have both of them there next year

I think you may have missed the point.

The coach was clearly not being sentimental when he suggested a much loved player might not get a game next year and should go to West Coast to finish his career.

Sentimentality in footy is very rare.
Sam was encouraged to gain experience at another club as a player and coach, as the long term plan was for him to return to hawthorn as head coach.

Problem is though I don't think Gunston makes a great sub as he's not the kind of player who can make an instant impact unlike Bruest.

Yes, Bruest is a risky/poor choice as sub IMHO. Not sure if there are any other ways to nurse him through niggles.

Remove this Banner Ad

The Breust conundrum

Remove this Banner Ad

Back