Hawks and Cats shunted because of the Big Four?

Remove this Banner Ad

Just a quick note to all the cats fans who would like their finals in Geelong at Simonds Stadium that the AFL rules mean the AFL sells the tickets for the finals, not the clubs.

The available tickets are split on a % basis between the clubs based on memberships, just like the GF. So as an example, if the cats have 40k members and after improvement in 2014 the Crows make the finals and have 60k members, the 35,000(?) ish tickets available would be split with only 40% made available to Geelong Members (14,000 seats) and 60% (21,000 seats) for Crows members. Given the Crows fans are very well known for traveling in droves to Victoria for a better life, err I mean AFL finals, I wouldn't expect many of the seats to be returned to the AFL for selling to general public or to cats fans who have missed out.

More seats at Etihad means more seats for Cats fans.

However none of this factors in the rights of AFL, MCC and medallion club members rights to some of those finals tickets.
There will NEVER be a final at Simonds Stadium.

No finals are ticketed like that anymore... The grand final tickets are split 50/50 between the two clubs members, and the opening finals aren't split at all apart from bay by bay. I don't think anyone would expect their seat for the finals, they would just be happy to be at a game and if you're online at 9am that Monday morning, there wouldn't be much getting in the way of getting a ticket. General public won't be able to get a ticket, yes, but if you're an organized member there would be no problem.

Also, why do you use the crows as an example? Why not a club that we may potentially play a home final against, such as i don't know, Fremantle?? They drew 44,000 to an elimination final last year at the mcg, and that's with mcc members and series ticket holders included. Matches played at Etihad and notorious for having smaller crowds than had the matches been played at the MCG for these reasons as well as various other reasons. It wouldn't be alien to suggest that there would be about 5-10,000 fewer people at the ground, which would see a crowd of ~35,000 at Etihad, if last year's crowd is anything to go by. If that's the predicted crowd, then why can't it be played at the 33,500 capacity KP? So what if a few neutrals miss out because they can't get a ticket if it means a few Geelong fans can go based on their inability for whatever reason to get to Melbourne.

Think about the low drawing Hawthorn final at Etihad, against the all mighty crows who definitely did not have 21,000 supporters at the game. It drew low 30,000s, and that's with a higher drawing interstate club and a higher drawing Victorian club. I understand if we play at the MCG rather than Etihad, but to have to play at Etihad against an interstate side with no Victorian affiliation over KP is just wrong in my opinion.

Poor Pussies and Hawks. What it fails to mention in that erudite Victorian way, is that Sydney and Freo will have to travel, even though they finished above all those clubs that it mentions.
Tough t***ies to Geelong & Hawthorn.

Obviously a Bandwagon Freo Fan - Worst post ive read on BF

Maybe the AFL will approach the Victorian Government to have a 3 day weekend, so a final could then be played on Monday afternoon.
Shhh! Kevin Rudd will be tweeting this idea now.

But the more likely scenario is that it'll be Cats v Freo at the dome, if those two finish 2nd and 3rd.

I'd be pretty p*ssed off with that if I were a Cats fan.
1. Don't get to play their final at their home ground. Old news, but still a p*ss off surely.
2. And get shunted out of a ground that Freo haven't played particularly well at recently (MCG) to one we've been going pretty well at (Etihad).

One of the benefits of being an interstate team. With only two teams in the one town there's no historic "Big 4" considerations... so it's much harder for fair fixturing to be twisted by financial incentive.

If Hawks and Geelong finish top 2 they both deserve to play on MCG. Can definitely see the AFL reaming Geelong by sending them to Etihad though. A good outcome for us if we end up playing them at Etihad, but still unfair. Will take it though. ;)

I mentioned it in another thread but the fact that this is even a conversation just goes to show how compromised our league is. Would be a joke if the Cats and Hawks finished 1 & 2 and didn't get an MCG final and I would hope that, in that event, the shunted club would kick up a massive stink.

Never put anything past the AFL, they are capable of anything. Last season the Hawks were minor premiers and deserved to play our Preliminary Final a day before Sydney, but the AFL decided to switch it around. Hawks and Cats aren't exactly near the top of AFL priorities these days.

I always smile when I think of the term "Big 4". If only those clubs did something to deserve the accolade.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looking further ahead and dependent on variables, but if SYD lose Week 1 and play week 2, there's a very real possibility that their semi would have to be played at the SCG if it can only be scheduled on saturday (i.e., due to their opponent playing Wk 1 on sunday).

Wk1 of NRL finals this year (scheduled on Wk 2 of AFL finals) looks very much a similar situation as the AFL's with 4 games to be fit into 2 venues. The NRL have changed their Wk 1 finals Sydney venue policy whereby these matches will now be moved away from the suburban grounds and to the two major facilities.

At the moment, Sydney - South Sydney - Canterbury - Cronulla are in the Wk 1 hosts seats. With 1 game to be certainly scheduled at OPS on the saturday, the AFL will not be able to schedule a potential Swans match there on the same day. as far as I'm aware, the NRL has priority for finals at OPS.

Never put anything past the AFL, they are capable of anything. Last season the Hawks were minor premiers and deserved to play our Preliminary Final a day before Sydney, but the AFL decided to switch it around. Hawks and Cats aren't exactly near the top of AFL priorities these days.

I always smile when I think of the term "Big 4". If only those clubs did something to deserve the accolade.

switched it around due to a scheduling clash with the NRL.

the AFL long finished facilitating the league based on 'what was deserved'. all about contracts, governing body agendas and the moolah.

that's where numpty pleb Victorian football supporters come in. merely whinge, but don't hurt the AFL where it will make an impact.

We draw bigger than Cats.
Best example is 2008 finals - we played same opponents as Cats in Qual and Prelim, and drew 5 - 7K more to each.

That is not an even comparison - you have to factor in AFL finals series tickets.

However, I'd agree that Hawthorn draw more than Geelong.

so some people are basically arguing unlike it any other sport AFL should fixture the finals to draw bigger crowds as opposed to giving the teams that deserve it an advantage? Honestly Hawks should play at the MCG and Cats at Simonds.
Money over fairness is how they fixture the rest of the year, so why not the finals?

The scariest thing about this issue is that, going by the thread thus far, we've actually stumbled upon a discussion that unites Cats and Hawks supporters! I feel like I should potshot Rioli or read something negative about Joel Selwood just to restore the world to it's rightful order.

Cats to play their final at Kardinia. Everyone happy (except Etihad)

Cats will make about $2m. If this is all about the almighty dollar how can the AFL not allow it?
I'm sure the Cats would happily forgo the revenue, so the AFL would be even happier

In reality the Cats should be perfectly entitled to play at Kardinia. It would be a better ground than Subi, Football Park, any of GWS or Gold Coast's grounds. Why don't Geelong just insist on playing there?
Vlad would charge GFC for bringing the game into disrepute for even hinting at the idea....

Remove this Banner Ad

Hawks and Cats shunted because of the Big Four?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back