Hawks and Cats shunted because of the Big Four?

Remove this Banner Ad

Not too upset with playing Freo at Etihad. We've played there a few more times than they have...

Besides, when there's not a whisper of uproar from anyone, it might convince them to let us play future games against dud interstaters at Simonds.

you are the only club in victoria to have their own home ground for the majority of the season... don't think for a minute that 2 of the big 4 will have to play at etihad while the g is half empty with a geelong freo or syd hawks. I would even argue that they play pies port or tiges port at the g over hawks/cats v syd/freo.

Its home state advantage not home ground. The ground is decided by max attendences.

Average haw v syd would be at least 10 k bigger than rich v syd over five years (at MCG)

Im happy for the criteria to be actual comparable recent figures rather than some myth from previous decades, which reflects haw geel draw more because we finish higher.

No doubt when richmond finish higher they will draw more and rightfully can dwmand the bigger finals venue

Hawthorn and Geelong have both played at home at Docklands this year.

Non-story.

We earned the right by finishing top 2 to play at the ground the Grand Final will be played on

The top team (which may not be Hawthorn) should be awarded the grand final venue as the home ground

Why have you two invented a 'Grand Final venue right' clause...

Adelaide, Brisbane, Fremantle, Gold Coast, Greater Western Sydney, Port Adelaide, Sydney, West Coast definitely never get such a 'right'...

Collingwood or Essendon v Port at Etihad will not sell out. Richmond v Port might, but I reckon its unlikely.

No it won't, but for comparisons sake have a look at these figures from past finals.

This is dating back to 1992 (excluded 1991 as no MCG available)
This is the average for finals crowds of the four teams in question (no Richmond due to no games) in finals in Melbourne v non Victorian teams.

Geelong - 49,657 (3 games) *All at MCG
Collingwood - 70,306 (7 games) *All at MCG
Hawthorn - 48,447 (4 games)
Hawks @ MCG Only - 62,172 (2 games)
Essendon - 61,458 (6 games)
Bombers @ MCG Only - 73,794 (4 games)

I don't understand - why is it the 'right' thing for Hawthorn or Geelong to get a game at Etihad? No matter what, they'll have a game in their home state against at team travelling from interstate, which is a huge advantage. Those games (say, Hawthorn-Sydney and Geelong-Fremantle) will draw roughly 50,000 people, which fits Etihad nicely.

On the other hand, Collingwood-Essendon and Richmond-Carlton are likely to draw 70,000 plus, so they fit better at the MCG. IT doesn't really fit as a 'big 4' thing either. If by some miracle you swapped Hawthorn and Carlton (giving 1-Carlton vs 4-Sydney and 5-Richmond vs 8-Hawthorn) I'd expect the Carlton game to be at Etihad and the match between 2 Victorian teams at the MCG.

Hawthorn and Sydney drew 55,000 to a home and away game earlier this season...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

you sound a little bitter....wouldn't have something to do with last weekend's result ay ;)

Hardly - we've been out of finals contention for many months. Saturday was just a case of a hardened top 4 side pumping a lowly non-finalist.

* may be bitter about sins of the past though...

No way in hell that they are going to shaft the Cats and Hawks that way, and besides Carlton won't be making finals anyway no point in even discussing this.

the team playing fremantle first week of the finals should play @ the docklands... its that simply

from the 'AFL as a business' POV , as well as crowd capacity considerations and the expected attendance of the four matches in Melbourne on that weekend, YES.

from the 'AFL as a competition administrator' POV which should schedule games based on home ground (club preferences) in seeding priority, NO.

does't matter anyway. based on my handy work on the ladder predictor, i think PA will defeat CAR at FP in the final week, so this is how i see it panning out.

QF1 | 1 - HAW vs SYD - 4 | MCG | Fri
QF2 | 2 - GEE vs FRE - 3 | MCG | Sat
EF1 | 5 - RIC vs PA - 8 | DS | Sat night
EF 2 | 6 - COL vs ESS - 7 | MCG | Sun

i think C7 would prefer GEE vs FRE on Saturday evening, but consideration should and will be given to ensure FRE (as 3rd seed) get on a flight back to Perth on Saturday night.

Collingwood or Essendon v Port at Etihad will not sell out. Richmond v Port might, but I reckon its unlikely.

Capacity is 55k? All 3 teams would sell out Etihad vs Port for a final no problems..

i think C7 would prefer GEE vs FRE on Saturday evening, but consideration should and will be given to ensure FRE (as 3rd seed) get on a flight back to Perth on Saturday night.

other factor is the election

Ch 7 would want to use their main channel to cover the election count, we might have a game in the afternoon and twilight, back to back, with no night game

Remove this Banner Ad

Hawks and Cats shunted because of the Big Four?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back