Autopsy Hawks defeat Dogs elimination final.

Remove this Banner Ad

You’ll never come close when you have so many players dishing up their worst performances of the year.

Bont, JUH, Weightman, JOD, Jones, Harmes, Gallagher…this list goes on.

Lobb & Freijah were the only ones that I genuinely feel could walk away thinking they played good games.

I thouhgt Lobb an
Hawks fans can come and laugh react as much as they want.

But “Free Kick Harthorne” is most certainly back. Even the Hawks fans next to me were commenting on “their soft free kicks they are getting”.

13 to 22 doesn’t lie.

The fix was in inside the first 5 minutes.

English had poor game, but do we really believe that even if he played well it would have changed the outcome? Why not shift Lobb in the ruck -sure he was doing well in defense but we're not winning the game with Lobb in defense anyway.

We looked slow, without a plan or any system of play. Worse, our senior players were outmuscled by kids with bum fluff, mullets and pimples.

I thought Lob, Vandemeer, Richards and Darcy did OK. The rest had their arses handed to them in every facet of the game.

Last edited:
A bit similar where we were as well. I also haven’t seen that at the football for a very long time. It was always started by some smug Hawthorn supporter mouthing off and then a Dogs supporter would take the bait and it would end up in a nasty confrontation, then of course the Dogs supporter gets marched out and they leave the Hawks supporter there

If that's not a metaphor for life, I don't know what is.

I don't blame the players, the game was lost by the coaches. Hawthorns gameplan has been the same all year and we had ample opportunity to develop plans to negate their strengths both before and on match day. Look at Hawthorns forward gameplan and compare it to ours... its embarrassing. We need big changes to our coaching if we are to utilize the list we have.

Its both players and coach.

You can blame the coach for selections, player positions, game plan and tactics motivation, and the culture of the club.

You can't blame him when the players get out run, out muscled, and make terrible decisions and execution at critical points.

The ladder doesn't lie.

Did we get the bye prep wrong?

We struggled to run out the game against North post the mid season bye and hawthorn looked much fitter than us last night.

Last edited:
Just home, after stewing on that 'effort' in the car driving home the last few hours.

Disappointed? Yes

Surprised? Not in the least. Apart from 2016 finals and the semi and prelim in 2021, this club just finds new ways to f*** its supporters.

Yeah, people can excuse Lobb, Freijah, and maybe one or two others if you're really desperate.

Bottom line is 2024 is another fail. No sugar-coating it.

As far as I'm concerned tonight, Beveridge, Bontempelli, Bains, Grant, Watson-Wheeler and all the coaches and players can either take a running jump or go **** themselves.

51 years of giving up my hard-earned well into four figures p.a. to see them dish up that (highly predictable) sh1t - against the SAME opponent, in the SAME manner, with the SAME key players taking us to the cleaners as we've watched on repeat.

F*** off. Just f*** off.

And #44 and #2... f*** me, are you two serious?!

(This is a toned down post on what I was contemplating earlier, maybe should have posted my initial reaction and enjoyed the ban. What a bitter taste to finish the season. A pathetic effort all round.)

Anyway, enjoy spring, summer, Christmas and new year everyone...

(Did I mention how f***ing p1ssed off I am... ?)

I’d like this multiple times if I could.

The club is dangerously close to alienating a decent chunk of its core fan base with this acceptance of incompetence - by some of the playing group as well as the coaching and footy department as a whole.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its both players and coach.

You can blame the coach for selections, player positions, game plan and tactics motivation, and the culture of the club.

You can't blame him when the players get out run, out muscled, and make terrible decisions and execution at critical points.

The ladder doesn't lie.
Agree that the players must accept some responsibility but the majority is on the coaches. Look at Hawthorn and what Mitchell and others have done with their gameplan, execution, decision making and recruitment. Coaches also should be discussing decision making, execution and maintaining confidence with their players at training sessions and on gameday.

If no one is going to shoot bambi then i will..

Bont, Treloar, Libba, JUH, English, Dale, Weightman and Naughton lost this game for us. 8 of our top 10 players gave us disaster level efforts. Honestly how can this thread still be taken up by comments on McNeil, VDM etc. At least they played to their par. I'd say those two gave much more effort tonight that those 8 players. VDM was creating lots of space in the first half and McNeil went in hard all night. While those two have limited skills at least they gave a shiit. These 8 high profile, highly paid players got beaten up

Our handball game was the worst i've seen for years, due to the defensive quickness and aggression of the hawks. Its one thing having speed, but speed defensively is something we do not have.

I was fine with Harmes playing, only because he was a perfect match up for Sicily. How that can not be an option by the coaches is beyond me. Absolutely no game plan for Sicily was game over right there.

Huge claps for Lobb, Richards, Williams, Daniel and Freijah. JOD was a problem but overall our defense wasn't too bad. They had no chance with the pathetic level of effort given from forwards and mids.
Best analysis of the performance and most accurate by far.

We play bad when too many of our top line players play poorly. Has been the case with this group for a while, yet the pile on goes to the whipping boys

On SM-S926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Just to add to some of the observations on the crowd, the Hawthorn fans nearby did seem to be particularly vitriolic (admittedly our seats were fairly close to their cheer squad). Late in the 4th when a few dogs supporters decided to leave early, some Hawthorn fans were jeering at them and encouraging them to "f off".
Absolutely bottom of the barrel supporters. We had ones constantly yelling to F**k of back to Footscray, go back to the West, go to your shit hole of a dog pound.

From most supporters theirs seemed to have the lowest idea around umpiring and the rules.

Horrific game from the team, but made worse paying to sit near that.

What gives me some hope is the dogs played near their worst and Hawthorn couldn't play much better.

Hope they get the reality check they have been deserving soon

Went back to the lack of pace with Harmes and Daniel - he got a lot of it but it’s 5hose short kicks that kill the modern game if you don’t have speed

I see the value in the role that VDM and McNeill play, however they aren’t good enough.

Not bashing just them though

Whole team was down, the John Schultz passing won’t have helped, but that’s no excuse either.

So many down players including Bont

We need to address quality, skilled players with speed.

English hopeless dropping marks, juh unsighted, Weightman owned again, woeful skills all round - fumbly, falling over, poor skills

And yes, letting Sicily roam free again

I can understand why West wasn’t selected, due to the jaw and he had been a bit off and looked gun shy last week in VFL but overall a crap effort

Free kick Hok was back early and some things called against us that were let go early such as below the knees and HTB made a comeback later. Naughton arm held in the goal square when he got one hand to what would have been Bonts 2nd in a minute to lift us.

I hate Hok
From where we sat in the second quarter Sicily got away with a couple pushes in the back in marking contests, one which resulted in the goal off the ground.

One of their supporters had the nerve to yell out after a Bulldogs free kick "Win the game on your own merit"

I might be old school but **** me Jamaruh… can you even pretend that the loss hurts a bit? You’d think we lost a game of social netball with his attitude.

Him, Cody and Tim need the off season of their lives.

It’s not going to happen though, right?

JUH and English have had times this season where it would have been justified to drop them. Not for any stretch, but to sharpen them up and make a statement that their efforts and commitment to the physical side of the game is below that required at AFL level. I’d bet my mortgage that Bevo and the MC will never do it.

Weightman gives more of a consistent effort, but his problem is trying to win the ball in the air way too much. He gets drawn into contest when he should be out the back or looking for the drop of the ball is one of the most infuriating things about our forward line. Yes, he’s not a typical small - more of a marking medium like Greene/Fritsch etc - but those players know when to fly and when to let the talls go and position themseives for the drop.

Our forward line coaching has been substandard for years. Our team selection doesn’t have integrity. It looks from the outside like some players are held to standards and some aren’t. I know Macrae and JUH/English are different player types, but Jackson has never played a game as poor as a handful that the others have dished up this year alone. If he gets dropped because he’s not as pacy as we’d like, but the other two get away with what they’ve dished up on multiple occasions then I’m not sure what the **** we’re doing here.

Weightman gives more of a consistent effort, but his problem is trying to win the ball in the air way too much. He gets drawn into contest when he should be out the back or looking for the drop of the ball is one of the most infuriating things about our forward line. Yes, he’s not a typical small - more of a marking medium like Greene/Fritsch etc - but those players know when to fly and when to let the talls go and position themseives for the drop.
Weightmans year has been horrible besides the odd game, he hasn’t done much yes he has had injury but I think since we constantly play 3 talls now it’s killed his game as he used to be that pseudo 3rd tall.

I honestly doubt playing 3 massive talls is gonna win us a premiership, whenever we went with just the 2 talls I reckon we looked great I think it was the saints game and 1 other I’m not sure which tho, we played 2 talls and we played great

2 talls plus weightman as that pseudo 3rd tall is the way to go imo

Lobb can hold his head high. Played a really good game. Don't think anyone else can really say the same, despite some being alright.

JUH playing one of the worst games you'll see wasn't ideal. Things went to shit after his awful miss. Horrible body language as well.
He's too cocky and arrogant. He didn't do the basics right last night. Missing absolute sitters, trying to take spectacular marks giving away frees. Just dumb as **** last night.

One thing the Hawks, and particularly Jai Newcombe, base their game on is knowing we won’t stick our tackles. If you receive the ball knowing you can shrug or evade your nearest opponent then you are essentially playing peak Dustin Martin footy.

Not being able to stick tackles has been a problem for years. So has set shot conversion.

Have we somehow selected a list that contains several of the worst tacklers and set shots in the comp? Or is there a development and coaching issue here?

Beaten by considerably better ball movement and coaching. They knew they were switching every time out of defence and nothing was done to stop that.

And Sicily allowed to be loose?

You seriously think the coaches were left not knowing what to do when a team switches the ball?

Is that some sort of new tactic, switching the ball? Bevo didn’t explain to the players they need to roll over to the far side when a team switches the ball?

The logical explanation would be that the players just didn’t work hard enough to cover the ground. Nah, that’s too logical, let’s go with the coach not preparing the team for the opposition switching the ball. The new world, out of the box tactic of switching the ball.

I might be old school but **** me Jamaruh… can you even pretend that the loss hurts a bit? You’d think we lost a game of social netball with his attitude.

Him, Cody and Tim need the off season of their lives.
Cody’s Instagram story with the words “ya win some ya lose some”

Really ****ing poor from someone I have a lot of time for.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Hawks defeat Dogs elimination final.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back